MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Default My first CL Score! Or, maybe not so much...

I was perusing CL earlier this week, and saw a guy offering two Weber kettles AND two smokey joes for $50... for all four! Looking at the picture, I was shocked to see that one of the smokey joes was red. Could it be? Could this guy be selling the rarely seen and much rumored red smokey joe?
I quickly shot him an e-mail offering him $40 for the red SJ alone. (I don't have room for the rest.) We quickly reached a deal, and I had a friend pick it up for me. (The seller and my friend are in San Jose, about 40 miles away.) When my friend met the seller, he said that $40 was too much, and would only take $20. A steal!

Today, my new red super score arrived. It's was pretty dirty, and had seen some heavy use. I started to clean her up, and here she is:

IMG_20130316_154146_885.jpg
IMG_20130316_154143_223.jpg
IMG_20130316_154345_757.jpg

Note the "M" date code from 1990:

IMG_20130316_154214_128.jpg

But then, I was noticing that the surface felt a little rough, and not glassy like your typical Weber. I also saw some chipping, and what looked like heat damage:

IMG_20130316_154333_630.jpg

IMG_20130316_154234_868.jpg

IMG_20130316_154245_198.jpg

Using my world-renowned deductive reasoning, I started to suspect that this might not be a factory original paint job. I did some research over at the Weber Kettle Club. (Side note: Those guys REALLY like Webers.) From what I found there, it looks like red SJs were either (1) made in the 1970s or (2) emblazoned with a Budweiser logo. Clearly, neither of these conditions pertains to my new acquisition. So, I'm now pretty sure that I just bought a good old black smokey joe (with a wood handle, at least) that somebody spray-painted red.

Ah well. I guess I'll use it to make a 49ers mini-wsm, to go along with my World Champion San Francisco Giants Orange and Black Mini-WSM(TM). There are worse ways to spend $20.
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezmatt View Post
There are worse ways to spend $20.
True
Toney Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I thought I saw in a post that someone said it wss painted.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

The "M" on your lid signifies it was made in 1990.
Big Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

They tried to be thorough.

Take a look at the rivet in the top vent. It's a pop rivet. The original rivet would have a solid head.

At least you have a good attitude about it.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Pretty much everything I do is "emblazoned" with Budweiser. Good score.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezmatt View Post
Ah well. I guess I'll use it to make a 49ers mini-wsm
That's just adding insult to injury right there!

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

$20 for a SJG w/ wood handle is a good deal no matter who painted it red!

BUT, $50 for all 4 was a great deal....sell or give away the others. What were the kettles?

Old 03-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
At least you have a good attitude about it.
Yeah, there's a lot of stuff in the world to be mad about. This is not even close to being one of them.
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg

Last edited by Chezmatt; 03-16-2013 at 11:06 PM..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrederhead View Post
$20 for a SJG w/ wood handle is a good deal no matter who painted it red!

BUT, $50 for all 4 was a great deal....sell or give away the others. What were the kettles?
I would have loved to take all four, but I couldn't get down to meet him, and couldn't impose on my (working single mother of two) friend to haul four grills up to me.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

I was real interested in that until someone told me that the SJ was painted. I already have one of those :-)
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote