MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pitmaker "The Vault"

Anyone have one and can you comment on everything. I've got some good info from George from Pitmaker but want to hear from the customers. Any corrosion issue. They sound solid as a rock and I am leaning to them over the verticals now due to the thicker metal and more stainless.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

The Vault is a Vertical and is very well built. I do not own one. I was going that direction myself until I saw the 6 hour cook time with a full firebox and the top of the firebox so close to the fire. I am not saying they are not still the best option for a vertical, I believe they are I just am going another direction once I found about Peoria Cookers.
If storage space is not the deciding factor for you -> Look as this Presentation.
Mark Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Where did you hear this cook time, every article I've read and video on YouTube with the half H charcoal burn cooks up to 18 hrs no problem.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

There are some videos on Youtube of the vault in action.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobdabomb View Post
Where did you hear this cook time, every article I've read and video on YouTube with the half H charcoal burn cooks up to 18 hrs no problem.
AT 2 minutes 5 seconds into their own video.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

I find that odd. I have a safe and have gone 10 hours on a full load and it would have gone longer but I was done before the fire went out. Maybe because its a smaller unit
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Hook'n Bull
Knows what a fatty is.

I own a Safe and a full load of lump with some wood will last up to 14 hours (cooking dry). In the video George said 6 lbs of coal with a couple of chunks will last 6-8 hours in the Vault. A good friend owns a Vault and it will hold several more pounds of coal and wood than just 6 lbs (if needed).
Hook'n Bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
I find that odd. I have a safe and have gone 10 hours on a full load and it would have gone longer but I was done before the fire went out. Maybe because its a smaller unit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'n Bull View Post
I own a Safe and a full load of lump with some wood will last up to 14 hours (cooking dry). In the video George said 6 lbs of coal with a couple of chunks will last 6-8 hours in the Vault. A good friend owns a Vault and it will hold several more pounds of coal and wood than just 6 lbs (if needed).
Thank you guys for the clarification. I only had the video as a reference, I didn't have any first hand experience with it. This is good to know.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

I missed the part about 6lb of coal it will hold more than that for sure
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

I believe video says 6 hours with 6 lbs of charcoal. You can always add more coals for longer burns.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

For the guys with the safe's, I'm guessing its constructed the same with a good bit of stainless. Can you tell me more about your experiences, any issues, built quality you wish we're different, corrosion(rust anywhere inside or out)?

Old 06-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
Hook'n Bull
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobdabomb View Post
For the guys with the safe's, I'm guessing its constructed the same with a good bit of stainless. Can you tell me more about your experiences, any issues, built quality you wish we're different, corrosion(rust anywhere inside or out)?
Have had mine 1 1/2 yrs. No corrosion issues; however, mine is stored indoors (garage). Cart and pit both look new. I cook dry with diffuser plate installed. Guru maintains 250° (or higher) setpoint consistently. A basket of fuel (I use about half wood and half lump) will last up to 14 hrs (at 250°). Cooking with water will require quite a bit more fuel. Build quality and options are superior. I use mine 3 to 4 times a month and have not had any problems.
Hook'n Bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
SHERIFF
Got Wood.

dobdabomb...

I own a Vault, and I get a lot more burn time than that video reflects.

My normal fuel loading consist of ~6 pounds of RO lump and a couple of pounds of mesquite chunks. This fuel loading will easily maintain my vault at 250 for 14+ hours (dry). I burn this loading in a horse shoe configuration.

You also need to consider the "meat" loading in this whole equation.....

My normal meat loading will usually be several briskets, butts or a half dozen racks of ribs or more. These smokers usually cook faster than an off-set type smoker and several 12 pound packers will be done in ~6-7 hours. So, I'm "over" fueling my pit a bit. I really like loading the lump/wood one time for anything I cook. I haven't seen an off-set be able to do as well, generally speaking.

As far as any corrosion.... I've had my Vault for about a year and a half and have not seen any type of corrosion. They seem to be well thought out as to where they placed the stainless steel in the robust construction of these smoker.

As for me.....All things considered.....I can honestly say, buy a Vault or Safe with confidence.
SHERIFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
Biznork
Got rid of the matchlight.

Here is an interesting read about the vault...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=136989

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=146880

Last edited by Biznork; 06-08-2013 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: added another link
Biznork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Those threads are making me re-think things. Everything I was seeing was it was a set it and forget after you get fire going. This does make me feel uncomfortable.

Last edited by dobdabomb; 06-08-2013 at 10:22 AM..
dobdabomb is offline   Reply With Quote