MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #7816
propsync
Knows what a fatty is.

These pics crack me up. You guys are awesome, I wish I had that much time/creativity. Moving on, I've got a couple of questions-

1. My drum is ready except for the lid. The lid has a rubber seal. Should I remove that? It also has a clamp that I assume I'm going to not want to get hot, pitch it?

2. My lid is bungless. Huh huh huh. I thought about taking a 6in. damper and cutting a smaller hole in the lid. Use some hardware so it rotates. Any thoughts?

3. My Weber lid just sits on top, and I imagine cutting the bead will allow it to fit. Is that accurate?

4. Thermometer. I'm not doing a digital, so what is most common?

Thanks for the help. Call me lazy, but 500 pages to sift through seems a bit much.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #7817
rockyathabaska
On the road to being a farker

Ok Ok , you guys don't have " ugly " drums.
They are beautiful shiny smoking marvels!
I have to buff up my UDS .
A thing that is so close to my heart should't be left to rust away in my rainforest backyard!
Do I have to sand it right down to bare metal to get a decent quality paintjob?

Cheers, Rocky
rockyathabaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 12:47 AM   #7818
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by propsync View Post
These pics crack me up. You guys are awesome, I wish I had that much time/creativity. Moving on, I've got a couple of questions-

1. My drum is ready except for the lid. The lid has a rubber seal. Should I remove that? It also has a clamp that I assume I'm going to not want to get hot, pitch it?
Yes remove the rubber gasket from the lid.

2. My lid is bungless. Huh huh huh. I thought about taking a 6in. damper and cutting a smaller hole in the lid. Use some hardware so it rotates. Any thoughts?
You can do that or....you could drill 8 1/2 inch holes in the lid

3. My Weber lid just sits on top, and I imagine cutting the bead will allow it to fit. Is that accurate?
Sorry I know nothing about that.

This is what I did went to home depot and got this ... Just show them the pic, then I took a step down bit and slowly drilled a hole so it could thread in works great then go to academy or something and buy a 3 dollar deep fryer turkey thermometer

Thanks for the help. Call me lazy, but 500 pages to sift through seems a bit much.
Good luck man

Old 04-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #7819
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

You said bungless!

Definitely take out the seal. I just burned the crap outta mine, and it melted out....then I sanded it out, seasoned with a little veggie oil, and repainted the whole top of the lid with the same high-heat paint.

On my second drum, I actually turned the whole thing upside down, and use the flat lid, clamped on, as the actual bottom of the smoker. I cut the "bottom" out of the drum with a cold chisel, and put my lid on that end. That is pretty typical of most closed end drums. The open ends have the bigger lip, that is too big for an unmodified weber lid. The welded or rolled edge on the bottoms, usually accommodate a weber lid perfectly.

If you have already cut your holes and mounted grates, then you are too far along to try this out......but you can always make another one. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by propsync View Post

smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #7820
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Mostly lump also, but I have used 100% hardwood briquettes from Trader Joes. No fillers, and no additives. Lump is still better though, but not as uniform to arrange in the basket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
Lump only in my drum.
smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #7821
The Smokin Texan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

WOW that is an amazing thread. It has been going on for years. Unfortunatly I do not have time here at work to read everthing, however with the hour I just spent reading I think I got pleanty of info to start my project. I love the UDS on the trailer rig. Really all the UDS were good.
The Smokin Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #7822
tim hawk
Knows what a fatty is.

Default cone

Does it fit the top of the drum or do you have to modify it?

thanks tim
tim hawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #7823
tim hawk
Knows what a fatty is.

hey cool drum did the cone fit the top of 55 drum or do you have to modify it?
thanks
tim hawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #7824
Uncle Bucks BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I've burned out the drum tonight, and it's going together this weekend. WooHoo! Thanks everyone for your posts and ideas. I'll keep everyone posted, and pics soon to come.
Char-Griller Pro Offset
Brinkman Smoker (Collecting Dust)
Uncle Bucks BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #7825
propsync
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindave74 View Post
On my second drum, I actually turned the whole thing upside down, and use the flat lid, clamped on, as the actual bottom of the smoker. I cut the "bottom" out of the drum with a cold chisel, and put my lid on that end. That is pretty typical of most closed end drums. The open ends have the bigger lip, that is too big for an unmodified weber lid. The welded or rolled edge on the bottoms, usually accommodate a weber lid perfectly.
Ugh. Guess I should have read a few more pages. Missed it by 12 hours. I honestly don't see the need for more than one rack for what I plan on ever doing, so I'm not freaking out, but I would have liked the option to go for two! Cheers all. If the snow/sleet/crap ever stops, I'll be able to fire this thing up. One question for unlined cans, do you rub the barrel with oil, or do you just straight up cook?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #7826
landlocked
Got Wood.

Any suggestions on getting the remaining corn syrup residue out of my open headed drum?

On the sides it is basically clean and the bottom probably has an 1/8" of solidified corn syrup.

I am thinking I will just use it as a burn barrel to burn my wood chips and bark from a winter of chopping wood and then I will have a "seasoned" barrel to build my smoker with.

Discuss.

p.s. My other concern is that I get a burnt corn syrup/ash debris caked to the bottom of the barrel.

Last edited by landlocked; 04-20-2011 at 05:55 PM..
landlocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #7827
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim hawk View Post
hey cool drum did the cone fit the top of 55 drum or do you have to modify it?
thanks
If you're referring to the cone tops on my drums;
No modifications to the rim of thedrum.
The cone top required some mods. Had to weld 1/4" rod, flat stock and some Rutland rope and silicone to make it capture and seal to the drum.
It's a tight, leak free fit though when it's done.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #7828
Big Darb
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlocked View Post
Any suggestions on getting the remaining corn syrup residue out of my open headed drum?

On the sides it is basically clean and the bottom probably has an 1/8" of solidified corn syrup.

I am thinking I will just use it as a burn barrel to burn my wood chips and bark from a winter of chopping wood and then I will have a "seasoned" barrel to build my smoker with.

Discuss.

p.s. My other concern is that I get a burnt corn syrup/ash debris caked to the bottom of the barrel.
How about a couple pots of boiling water to dissolve it.
Big Darb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #7829
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

Thought I'd share something I learned when I started in on my closed head drum.

I used a jigsaw to cut the top off. Easy, and quick. I cut right against the edge.

Then I got my angle grinder out to smooth the inside edge. My weber top was slightly too small to fit the drum, so I started in shaving down the lip. Around and around a few times, checking the fit as I went, and suddenly the part of the lip cut from the lid came loose and I lifted it right off the drum, leaving only the drum wall lip there. A little more grinding and the webber fit like a glove.

I didn't think much of this until I went to help my friend Adam open up his closed head drum a couple days ago. We were discussing how this lip came off and decided to skip cutting the top off and try to do it by just grinding the very top edge of the drum until we were just through the lids rolled edge. Sure enough, with very little effort, doing this easily separated the lid from the drum and made sizing it to his webber lid easy as well.

Here's a quick drawing I made of the way the drum wall is rolled and then the lid is rolled over that drum wall lip.

And here's a quick youtube video I made of Adam grinding the top edge, and how easy the lid separates.

http://youtu.be/OeaER0yLiK4

I did another drum like this yesterday for another friend, and his was made from thicker metal, but it still separated mighty easy.
PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #7830
Ground Pounder
Full Fledged Farker

Well, after tomorrow I'll have 10 days off to get the ol' UDS up and running. Can't wait to load up the forums with some pics!
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker