I do not post this article lighty.

Interesting article. These seem to pop up nearly every summer when BBQ season is in full swing across the country. I guess every doc and researcher has their opinions and/or findings.

Type 2 Diabetes is rampant every limb of my family tree.

https://www.humana.com/learning-cen...althy-living/diabetes/diabetes-and-alzheimers

I do worry about that and have adjusted (occasionally I fail) my diet to out maneuver this disease. My Dad cooked and ate everything charred black on a grill. He quit smoking in 1963.

Constant GERD- Maalox And Rolaids every day
Previous smoker
Seldom drank alcohol
Ate charred foods throughout life
Normal blood pressure Normal blood sugar
Died at 71 years of esophageal cancer

Was it the food, the GERD, smoking ages 15-33?

Roll the dice.

Who knows

Here's a solid piece of advice from a different angle. Once you hit 50, get a colonoscopy every few years. I've had three and have had (benign) polyps removed each time. It's not super-pleasant, but it's not really too bad either (you'll be sedated and probably napping while it's being done).

Great insurance.

When I had the TIA back in 2015, I had an appointment with a neurologist. Jennifer tried to get him to say that eating smoked and grilled meat would give me a stroke. The neurologist said that it wouldn't and proceeeded to ask about my rigs. He told Jennifer that eating grilled and smoked meats would give me cancer, but he wasn't an oncologist.

Ironically, as most of you know, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. It was removed, and it hasn't stopped me from eating grilled and smoked meats.

Here's a solid piece of advice from a different angle. Once you hit 50, get a colonoscopy every few years. I've had three and have had (benign) polyps removed each time. It's not super-pleasant, but it's not really too bad either (you'll be sedated and probably napping while it's being done).

Great insurance.
Yup. Don't ignore this test because you are embarrassed or uncomfortable. In fact, I have one scheduled for October.... (TMI?)

I like my beef rare and beer so I am good !

I like sea food, veggies (broccoli salad is great), bourbon, pork, chicken, turkey and a whole bunch of other stuff not in any particular order.

I marinate more after consumption than before but use both methods.

The solution to pollution is dilution - drink more of your choice beverage!

I believe anyone grilling/BBQ on a regular basis has a much greater chance of dying from coronary heart disease than cancer, myself included.

My scoping was more painful than surgery because he blew me full of air because he was in a hurry. Agonizing.

Now you can use Cologard. Just poop in the container and send it in.

This article does NOT take into consideration the POSITIVE ENDORPHINS your body releases when eating WONDERFUL CHARRED food.......it’s like the old saying (It’s true alcohol kills brain cells.....but only the weak ones....they wouldn’t have survived anyway) Dudes theory of survival of the fittest....!!!!!!!!!

Some Great responses in this thread. I've been blessed with 61 full trips around the sun. Like gtr, I too have had my share of younger days and the damage done. I think at this point that every day in the future is Gravy. Oh, Wait, can gravy give you cancer too?

Recurring article on the dangers of enjoying life.

Best to eat tree bark, fish heads, run 20 miles a day and live high stress, balls to the wall 24/7 for longevity. :roll:

My take: I'd rather kick back and laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. :-D

Last edited:
^^^ Amen ^^^

We would have never been here if this crap were true. What about our ancestors? We humans tend to think the world started turning when WE became aware no matter the generation. Guess what? There are graveyards full of folks that knew how to live life better I ever will.

Last edited:
Let's dissect the line from that article that says you're 60% more likely to get pancreatic cancer if you eat well done steak.

Right now the average odds for getting that is 1 in 63, about 1.5%. A 60% increase in those odds takes it to 2.5%. Not exactly life altering...

Of course if they wrote an article saying that, most folks would laugh.

I agree. The use of relative risk vs. the overall increase in all-cause mortality has long been a tactic to generate click-bait sensationalist headlines. I think there's other things we can do that will make a greater difference in our heath.

But if you're someone whose really worried about it,here's another article offering a way to lower the carcinogenic effect of charring meat.

I agree. The use of relative risk vs. the overall increase in all-cause mortality has long been a tactic to generate click-bait sensationalist headlines. I think there's other things we can do that will make a greater difference in our heath.

But if you're someone whose really worried about it,here's another article offering a way to lower the carcinogenic effect of charring meat.

I really tend to listen to Brethren Bonewagon. He would know. :thumb:

Back