MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:21 AM   #16
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
I bough it in August and It was supposedly cut in June. So it’s been awhile, just maybe some knotty logs then. My firebox is 16x20x16 so it’s on the small side.
Are you splitting the wood shortly before using it? It needs to season for a while after you split it. If the rounds were cut in June and have been whole since then, they will have seasoned some, but not enough to just split and burn. Also, knots are denser than straight-grained wood and will take longer to season.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #17
gcs
is one Smokin' Farker

I've split a lot of wood, some pieces are just tough.
You can try splitting from the other direction or splitting the edges off, but if your using a hydraulic splitter, and it's not happening, just chuck it and move on, burn it in a fire pit, chuck it in the woods, use it for a doorstop, but forget about it, it's not worth the aggravation or potential injury.
gcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #18
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong
Default Dense hard wood

I have a good pile of the bad stuff now. I always pictured knotted logs would be the one with the grain in different directions but these seem rather straight. This stuff just went up to the wedge and it made an indention like it was a piece of clay.

Maybe I’ll wait until I have a larger firebox and burn the crap out of them. They’re about 18 inches long and half of a round branch so it’s freaking huge in my Bandera firebox.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #19
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Default Dense hard wood

Here’s a pic of the firebox last night. Look at that cherry split in the middle not giving a damn. Had to drop in some charcoal to help out but in the morning the whole log was still intact. It was one of the flyers.

Last edited by Czarbecue; 01-02-2018 at 10:42 AM..
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #20
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Here’s a pic of the firebox last night. Look at that cherry split in the middle not giving a damn. Had to drop in some charcoal to help out but in the morning the whole log was still intact. It was one of the flyers.

IMO, your splits are way too big. Half that width will work much better
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #21
BeardedBassGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Czar, that's what the wood I got recently did. I'm going to assume it's just in need of more seasoning. I'd set it aside and try it in a few more months.
BeardedBassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #22
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
IMO, your splits are way too big. Half that width will work much better

Well, that’s the point of this thread. I’m having a hard time splitting my cherry logs.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #23
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Got a chainsaw? Maybe you can just zip it down the middle.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #24
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

As someone mentioned earlier, wood doesn’t really start to season until it has been split. 6 months is my minimum before I’ll try and use it. A year for oak.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #25
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
As someone mentioned earlier, wood doesn’t really start to season until it has been split.

The wood came split somewhat. It’s the process of breaking them down even more is what I’m having issues with.

See the half logs here. I’m trying to split them again so I won’t have huge spikes in my temps.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #26
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

[QUOTE=Czarbecue;3926785]Well, that’s the point of this thread. I’m having a hard time splitting my cherry logs.[/QUOTE

I guess I thought it was about why the wood wasn’t burning. I apologize for being off topic...
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #27
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

I heat with wood, and split it all by hand (sledge hammer and wedge), so I've split quite a bit of wood over the years. I'm not seeing anything in that stack that would be a problem to split by hand, much less with a wood splitter. Most of it looks like it could be split with just an ax. I'm wondering if you're orienting it properly in the wood splitter?

Old 01-03-2018, 12:25 AM   #28
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
I heat with wood, and split it all by hand (sledge hammer and wedge), so I've split quite a bit of wood over the years. I'm not seeing anything in that stack that would be a problem to split by hand, much less with a wood splitter. Most of it looks like it could be split with just an ax. I'm wondering if you're orienting it properly in the wood splitter?

I’ve done bark side down and bark side up. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:51 AM   #29
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Typically you stand the piece of wood on one end and split it from the top down (lengthwise along the grain). It sounds like you're laying it on its side and trying to split it while it is lying flat. While it is possible to split wood that way, it is a whole lot harder.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:40 AM   #30
Lawnguy
Babbling Farker

^^^^

What he said.
Lawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote