• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Peppers, Peppers and MORE Peppers

R

rbinms33

With the first frost of the season comes the final picking of peppers. Here's my plan:

Habaneros
  • Final batches of Pineapple Hab and Peach Hab jelly
  • Another batch of Hab powder
  • Experiment with chili infused oils
  • Experiment with Hab hot sauce
Jalapenos
  • The red ones are already smoked and will be canned as Chipotles
  • The green ones will be pickled
  • Any leftovers will become ABT's this weekend
Cayennes
  • Already made tons of plain pepper sauce (boiled vinegar poured over top in whiskey bottle)
  • Already made two Mexican "ristas" to dry them for crushed red pepper and cayenne powder
Banana
  • Probably make some more picked halves and rings
  • Freeze dry some for stirfry's later
I've attached pron and some recipes I use. Gonna be a busy couple of days.

Any other ideas out there?

Attachments

• 100_2183.jpg
    100_2183.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Pickling Peppers.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Chipotle Peppers Recipe.doc
    23 KB · Views: 23
  • Habaneros.doc
    45 KB · Views: 20
  • BananaPeppers.jpg
    BananaPeppers.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 171
  • CayenneRista.jpg
    CayenneRista.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_2185.jpg
    100_2185.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 171
  • chipotle2.jpg
    chipotle2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 171
  • greenjalapenos.jpg
    greenjalapenos.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_2184.jpg
    100_2184.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 171
Any other ideas out there?

• Final batches of Pineapple Hab and Peach Hab jelly

• The red ones are already smoked and will be canned as Chipotles

• Already made tons of plain pepper sauce (boiled vinegar poured over top in whiskey bottle)

• Probably make some more picked halves and rings
Ummm... Let's see...

• Send some of each of these to your favorite IlFo Brother? (and I don't mean Bill :rolleyes:)

Wow! That's a nice haul. I was able to successfully kill each and every seedling I tried to grow this year. As for suggestions, get a food dehydrator and dry a batch of each type and then grind up the pepers into flakes to sprinkle on pizza to give it some kick.

When I lived in Colorado, I saw quite often in the market places, the Mexican population roasting large amounts of peppers in an expanded steel drum rotating over a large propane flame.

This smelled awesome although I never got around to trying any. I was battling severe GERD at the time.

Your stuff looks fantastic! I've never heard of the Hab jelly you called it. What is it used for? A fiery PBJ? lol

Wow! That's a nice haul. I was able to successfully kill each and every seedling I tried to grow this year. As for suggestions, get a food dehydrator and dry a batch of each type and then grind up the pepers into flakes to sprinkle on pizza to give it some kick.

These were pretty robust although 2 of the hab plants were cutworm victims early in the season and had to be replaced. I had 6 jalapeno plants and 4 hab plants and they produced a LOT more than I thought they would. It's all good though. Thanks for the tip!

Your stuff looks fantastic! I've never heard of the Hab jelly you called it. What is it used for? A fiery PBJ? lol

You should smell those Chipotles when they stew on the stove. It's awesome and has everyone wondering what I'm cooking...LOL.

I've used the hab jelly as a glaze on ribs, pork loin and chicken before. It makes an awesome grilled shrimp dip. And you can pour it over a block of cream cheese and then attack it with crackers. It's also pretty good on hot biscuits. The majority of the heat cooks out but you can definately feel a bit of the heat after 4 to 5 full crackers or bites.

Not to hijack this thread but can you do anything with the cayennes on the plant that are still green? I've got about 50 of those I hate to throw out.

Not to hijack this thread but can you do anything with the cayennes on the plant that are still green? I've got about 50 of those I hate to throw out.

If any of them have even just started to turn, you can pick them and put them in a window and they will ripen. If they haven't started to turn yet, pick them and make pepper sauce out of them. Poke a few holes in each of them, pour boiling vinegar over the top, let set for a month or so and when you cook up some blackeyed peas and greens for New Year's luck, sprinkle some on top.

Pull them off with the stem attached and leave them on the counter and they will the turn red and from there you can dry them. The smaller, thinner peppers will do this most of the time. The larger, meatier ones will also turn red on the counter but sometimes they can also go moldy because of the more meat that's one them. Jalpenos will turn red on the counter and from there some will air dry completely but some will go moldy on the inside. Habaneros will not air dry for some reason, they all turn moldy on me so I just freeze those whole. You can also freeze them green and use later in soups, salsas, etc. The climate in your area also has a lot to do with it. Our climate is pretty dry, but more humid climates really affects the way the peppers do or don't dry and if mold grows.

Thanks for the pron and recipes. I am always looking for new ways to do peppers. Some of those recipes look great.

In case any of the Brethren are not using MS Word (.doc) I converted them to pdf.

thanks
mick

Attachments

• Habaneros.pdf
    65.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Chipotle_Pepper_Recipe.pdf
    34.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Pickling_Peppers.pdf
    41.4 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the conversion mick. Like the new avatar pic :wink:

Paul

My friends aunt used to stuff the banana peppers with a hotdog and pickle the whole thing. Good stuff.

Jeff

Richie, sorry i don't have any advice, but i wanted to say ... i love the pron of your peppers. I LOVE peppers!
Grown any Naga Jolokia Pepper's.

Back