MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
criffaaa1
is one Smokin' Farker

Freebies are always great scores. You can try to oil down those grates burn them off and hit them with a wire brush but you might end up replacing them.

sent from my Crifftastic $3

Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #17
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Another nice find.

I picked up an old shopping cart from the local scrap yard with the intention of using the steel grate work in the basket to make my UDS charcoal basket out of. Plus with some slight modifications I may be able to use the push handle and back wheel assembly as an attachment to the UDS for easy mobility.

Any thoughts on this craziness?

D
Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

My only concern maybe that the steel is powder coated and I'm hoping that it will burn off in good old drum burning. Let's hope?!?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
Jethro608
Full Fledged Farker

Cart prob galvie. Would check with others. Put your grates in a plastic bag with amonia and let set in sun for.hours and hit with wire brush.
Does your new lid fit?
Great find:D

Old 09-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro608 View Post
Does your new lid fit?
Great find:D
Picking up drum on Thursday. I'll let you know then.

D

Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #21
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Well, I wasn't able to pick up my drum today so I figured I would still try to be productive.

I clean up the soon to be lid of my UDS and cut the base ring off just in case I need it to properly fit the lid to drum. I cut up my shopping cart charcoal basket and prepared it for treating to remove the powder coating and then it's off to be welded. I also soaking my cooking grate in a vinegar and baking soda solution in hopes to salvage it for a few smoke outs.

Here are a few pics

Dana

Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #22
osx-addict
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampler View Post
I also soaking my cooking grate in a vinegar and baking soda solution in hopes to salvage it for a few smoke outs.
How well does the vinegar & baking soda work on filthy grills? I've got some cast iron grates from our kitchen stove that I currently use nasty stuff on a few times a year to clean -- would this work better with less effort? Hmm..
osx-addict is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #23
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx-addict View Post
How well does the vinegar & baking soda work on filthy grills? I've got some cast iron grates from our kitchen stove that I currently use nasty stuff on a few times a year to clean -- would this work better with less effort? Hmm..
Honestly, I'm not too sure how great this method will be but it was one of the recipe I came across while searching methods to clean BBQ grates. I'll know more tomorrow once I give them a scrub down and rinsing. Right I have then in a trash bag on the floor in the garage in the vinegar solution.

D

Old 09-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Vinegar and Baking Soda Method

Here are the steps I followed... quick and simple.

Quote:
Deep Cleaning with Vinegar

1. Place the grates in a large plastic bag, such as a garbage bag.
  2. In a plastic of metal dish stir together one cup of vinegar and half a cup of baking soda.
  3. Pour this solution on the racks.
  4. Close the bag and leave it overnight.
  5. Rinse the gunk, which should now be loosened, off in the kitchen sink or with the garden hose.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Results from the overnight vinegar soak are in....

This grate seemed to be aged for a few good years and was layered with what appeared to be years of cheap hamburger.

But, now we are almost ready to use.

I used appx. 3 cups of vinegar and 1 box of baking soda. I soaked the grate for about 15 hours and then quick scrubbed with a grill brush then rinsed with garden hose.

I will clean again with a Scotch Brite pad before installing into the UDS.

D

Old 09-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #26
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Picked up my drum this morning. Wow... is this thing clean and unlined so no sanding or burning needed.

Off to the car wash this afternoon!!!

D

Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #27
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx-addict View Post
I put my cast iron grates in the oven and run a self clean cycle.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #28
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Another problem...

My lid is too small for my drum. There is about a 1/4 gap all around the lid when holding over the drum even if I was to use the bottom ring from the charcoal cooker it doesn't fit. I was thinking about using the original cover of the drum and then customizing it to fit my lid by riveting the two of them together after I cut the center out of the cover.

Any thoughts? Good bad and "ugly"?

Old 09-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #29
criffaaa1
is one Smokin' Farker

flip the drum and see if the lid fits the bottom.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #30
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by criffaaa1 View Post
flip the drum and see if the lid fits the bottom.
I guess I never thought there would be a difference. What would you do to secure the top cover which is only held on with a spring clamp? Plus, there are plastic caps on the top cover holes.

D