MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #31
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not sure of the price...but Yoder is coming out with a pellet pooper. Might be worth a look...they are known for their pit quality. CLICK HERE for video...

JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #32
nolesfan954
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for the link, Ron. I certainly would prefer to do business with someone who's trusted and a member here. (He's got free shipping, too!)
nolesfan954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #33
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Not sure of the price...but Yoder is coming out with a pellet pooper. Might be worth a look...they are known for their pit quality. CLICK HERE for video...

I've been looking at the info on the Yoders. they look very interesting. I'm sure that they will be built like tanks.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #34
bearnakedbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default Traeger and CS

I have been a Traeger dealer for the last two years. I have tested the CS570 this past summer and will be testing the Green MT this spring. Here is my take!

Traeger:
  • Easy to use (think all pellet grill are this way) and put together.
  • Pellet hopper
    • Doesn’t hold a full bag and the hopper.
    • Does not use all the pellets. Will still have pellets in hopper (they get stuck on the sides) and your auger will be empty, thus fire goes out. Just make sure you keep the hopper full and you won’t have an issue.
    • Need to make sure you clean the hopper out at least on a year. Had an issue where the breaker kept popping to find out the pellet dust was like concrete not allowing the auger to rotate. Might happen to the other, but I know clean them every month, so no issues.
  • Digital Controller. In my opinion you must have a digital controller. It is the only way to have consistency when you are cooking. The other controller is an auger on/off time period so it depends on the outside air temperature on how hot your grill will get.
  • Had issues with the “Hot rod” still seeing a few but nothing like last year. If you get a new grill you shouldn’t have any problems.
  • They outsourced there phone service out of Portland. In my opinion the South Dakota people aren’t familiar enough with the grill (reading a card) to be much help.
  • Unit is light weight, so if you live in a cold area the wind and temp does keep the temperature down.
CS570
  • Heavier grill then the Traeger.
  • Can get temp up to 600+ where the hottest I got a Traeger is a little over 500 on the Junior and 475 on the lilt ex, 435 for the texas.
  • Digital controller. Pain in the ass to install, but overall performance is better than the Traeger. You can increase/decrease at 5 degrees (traeger 25). Has a “PRIME” button which will force pellets into the fire box, use this when you are getting ready to open the door.
  • Pellets are dropped into the fire box. This keeps the fire from burning the pellets in the auger.
  • Pellets are feed to fire box every 4 sec for the CS and every 15sec for the Traeger. This means the temp swings are much smaller on the CS then Traeger.
  • Thicker unit means the cold and wind doesn’t effect the temp as much
  • Being heavier make it harder to move and the wheels are not as good a some of the Traeger grills
  • Accessories cost more for the CS then the Traeger.
  • CS are made in Canada where Traeger grills are made in China.
I have plans on testing the Green MT this March.
  • I like the idea they have an insulated blanket.
  • Only have two units to pick from Med and Large.
  • There pellets are Oak based not Alder.
  • They have more headroom in the grill. They are not round.
  • They are made in China.
  • Understand they have a remote control so you can raise/lower the temp without going to the unit.
  • They also have a low pellet alarm
Overall for Alaska the CS would be a better unit then the Traeger. Problem is nobody sells the CS in Alaska. I have looked into becoming a dealer/distributor for the CS grills. The grill cost to dealers depend on how many you order (big difference between 5 and 25 +) Also they are out of Canada and the shipping cost to Alaska would be very high and I am not sure customers would be willing to pay the extra $$$.

Troy
bearnakedbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #35
nrok2118
Full Fledged Farker

So I really like the Yoder, but cant find anything online that has one for sale. Can these be bought yet??

Old 12-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #36
JD McGee

Looks like about $1299.00 here http://www.smokingpit.com/Info/Yoder-YS640-Review.htm

Old 12-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #37
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks RonL Anybody need any info on the MAK or Memphis give us a call on our toll free line 877 828 0727 Thanksagain!
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #38
darita
is One Chatty Farker

If you're looking to get in between 500 and a grand, I'd give a hard look at the Green Mountain Grill, Daniel Boone. I had a Traeger and couldn't take the temp swings. The GMG DB that I now have has 1 to 3 degrees of temp swings. It really is amazing. And, the customer support is also amazing. It's well built and well supported. The new digital controller has a remote pellet alarm available, as well as a built in meat temp probe.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #39
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

The MAK and the FE Pellet Grill are both higher $$ than you are looking to spend, but both are a step above what is out there, in terms of build quality. They are cookers that will hold up over time. I would suspect the Yoder will be built like a tank.

I have not cooked on the newest iteration of the GMG, but the original, and series 2 units were a little unsorted. Having said that, I have seen a couple of the current units that seem to cook really well, and they appear to have fixed some of the things I panned them for. I will likely try to get some cooks in on one and see how they are doing these days.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:07 AM   #40
Jaberwabee
is One Chatty Farker

I am going down and talk to Don about getting a ys640 today. Kinda nice i can go talk to the owner at his store here in Wichita. They look like a tank.
1 Rib Machine Chargriller Pro Hella Mod (Retired)
2 Bubba Keg (One HOT MOTHER, One LOW N SLOW)
1 22" Performer
Yoder YS-640 is the next cooking device.
Jaberwabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 10:11 AM   #41
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaberwabee View Post
I am going down and talk to Don about getting a ys640 today. Kinda nice i can go talk to the owner at his store here in Wichita. They look like a tank.
Cool...I'm looking forward to your review...