for my first comp

rgrizzle

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was wondering for my first compitition. Would it be a good idea to enter a local ribfest that is held in Aug. ? the compition last year only had about 5 teams in it. the only thing I am not sure of is this festival all the teams are selling to the public and not cooking for the judges only. what is everyones thoughts?

Call the organizer and get the details before you decide to enter. If you can cook and not vend, I'd jump in with both feet. Unless you have the capacity to vend as well, then there's no reason not to make a little money while you're at it.

The organizer of the event is suppose to e-mail me the details. If I get the rig that I am wanting here in the next couple of months it wont be a problem to vend while prepairing for the judges.

I think the first thing to understand is to yourself. Meaning, ask yourself "why compete"? Seriously. If you're doing it for fun/enjoyment, then ask yourself "what makes it fun and enjoyable"?

For me and our team, the fun is the comradere <spelling> and the level of the competition (ala. as many highly competitive teams as possible). For this reason we only compete in sanctioned competitions with fairly high payouts because they attract a higher level (averages being averages) of competitor.

For you the answers could be completely different. Perhaps its the socialization and locale that only a local ribfest can provide.

We dont sell/vend barbecue even on those where we can, and I'm including MBN competitions where we're cooking about 200# of meat if we dont cook hog, and if we do we're at about 330# (meaning PLENTY of meat for vending). The reason is that we focus on the competition, but again that gets back to the question "why compete".

Only you can answer these for yourself.

I was wondering for my first compitition. Would it be a good idea to enter a local ribfest that is held in Aug. ? the compition last year only had about 5 teams in it. the only thing I am not sure of is this festival all the teams are selling to the public and not cooking for the judges only. what is everyones thoughts?

is it selling to the public or is it like the Rib comps we compete in here in Minnesota, they are usually at a bar and the bar provides the ribs (every team must do at least one case) then the bar sells tickets for the ribs, sometimes $1.00 per bone, sometimes $5.00 for a wristband and sample all you want, one contest was $10.00 for a couple beers and sample all the ribs and at each contest when you pay to eat you get one voting ticket.

We also turn in a blind judging box

After looking at the entry fee and all the factors I believe I will pass on this for my first competition. I want something that will be fun and not so business like.

I think the first thing to understand is to yourself. Meaning, ask yourself "why compete"? Seriously. If you're doing it for fun/enjoyment, then ask yourself "what makes it fun and enjoyable"?

For me and our team, the fun is the comradere <spelling> and the level of the competition (ala. as many highly competitive teams as possible). For this reason we only compete in sanctioned competitions with fairly high payouts because they attract a higher level (averages being averages) of competitor.

For you the answers could be completely different. Perhaps its the socialization and locale that only a local ribfest can provide.

We dont sell/vend barbecue even on those where we can, and I'm including MBN competitions where we're cooking about 200# of meat if we dont cook hog, and if we do we're at about 330# (meaning PLENTY of meat for vending). The reason is that we focus on the competition, but again that gets back to the question "why compete".

Only you can answer these for yourself.

I would try a sanctioned contest instead. Yes there will be more teams, and probably more experienced competitive cooks vs. the restaurants you will get at a local ribfest, but you can count on structured judging. Anything goes at an unsanctioned event.

I would also suggest just competing. Competing is fun, vending is work. We like to vend now and then, but get your feet wet first with a pure competitive event.

After looking at the entry fee and all the factors I believe I will pass on this for my first competition. I want something that will be fun and not so business like.

A lot of people who do cook only cook in the small back-yard, neighborhood or company cookoffs because they like it "fun and not so business like". Mind you, what CBQ said about judging is absolutely true. That's the other reason that I (and we; the team) only do sanctioned cookoffs; the criteria is defined and you have certified judges. For that matter I/we stick only to competitions with 100% CBJ's, but I understand that in some areas that's not possible...

See, for the very reason that I wouldn't consider that small ribfest might be the very reason that you would. You must know yourself and answer the question to/for yourself.

after doing some research I have at least 2 sanctioned competitions with in about a 1 to 2 hour drive. I am going to start there and just have fun with it, that is what it is about.

A lot of people who do cook only cook in the small back-yard, neighborhood or company cookoffs because they like it "fun and not so business like". Mind you, what CBQ said about judging is absolutely true. That's the other reason that I (and we; the team) only do sanctioned cookoffs; the criteria is defined and you have certified judges. For that matter I/we stick only to competitions with 100% CBJ's, but I understand that in some areas that's not possible...

See, for the very reason that I wouldn't consider that small ribfest might be the very reason that you would. You must know yourself and answer the question to/for yourself.

There are 6 or 8 KCBS contest here in Minnesota, we have dine a couple, but we enjoy the rib-fest allot more, the rib-fest we have done a relaxed and we compete only for fun so we enjoy them

Back