Ribs In The Oven

Angio333

Reaction score
I'm cooking ribs tomorrow, but will have access to a grill or a smoker. Would the 3-2-1 method work in the oven? If so, should I cook them at 225 degrees? Thanks.

Oven Ribs ?? :eek:

If you must... Same method would work... 225 is always good. Just keep a close eye on doneness during that last hour so they don't overcook.

I'm cooking ribs tomorrow, but will have access to a grill or a smoker. Would the 3-2-1 method work in the oven? If so, should I cook them at 225 degrees? Thanks.

Just noticed that I said I will have access to a grill or smoker tomorrow. I meant I will NOT have access to a smoker or grill.

Thanks. I would prefer to grill or smoke them, but oven ribs are better than no ribs.

My momma always said, "If you can't say something nice..."

If you must 3-2-1 will work. Just promise us you won't pre-boil and use liquid smoke.

I have pre-smoked and finished in the oven - anyway you can do that? Actually turned out fairly good.

Might as well use liquid smoke also. Food network proved that 66% of people can't tell the difference, right ;)

Whatever you do, dont boil them.....
Follow this and have the the best ribs to ever come out of an oven. Trim your ribs as normal. Apply your spice rub/marinade or whatever you normally do for the bbq. Lay the ribs on a sheet of foil and slather both sides wth bbq sauce or whatever you like to slather with (mustard/bbq sauce etc). Bring the sides of the foil up to create a steam pocket and wrap them tightly in foil. Place the foil wrapped ribs on a sheet pan and put in a 250 to 275 degree oven. Let them go for 2 1/2 hours. Open the foil up carefully as there will be lot's of steam. There will be a ton of juices in the foil. DO NOT DISCARD. Poor off the juices in a bowl. Slather the ribs up with BBQ Sauce and throw them on the Grill (if accessable or a grill pan on the stove top) to glaze and crisp. (I'm assuming you dont have a grill handy which is why you're asking about oven ribs). Turn them and mop them with the reserved drippings/juices every 15 minutes until the sauce is carmelized and glazed, as is done often for BBQ Competition... Cut em and eat em.

Remember, nothing beats a BBQ'd rib but like I said, these are the best ribs to come out of an oven...

Edit: Just read your post again and realized that you dont have access to a grill...To glaze them, you can use a stove top grill pan. Do you have one??

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand there was a rib cooking class recently that taught people how to cook ribs in the oven. Bubba do you remember who taught that class?

Angio, when its below zero here I do ribs in the oven.
I run the oven at 250 and figure 5 hours for a rack.
Half hour before their done I baste them w/favorite bbq sauce.
I do that two times at 15 minute intervals.
You dont get the smoke flavor, but my ribs dont seem to dry out much.
Good luck.

Back