• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A change in direction

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have a question for you more experienced competition BBQ chefs. I have a Lang 84, and it does eat a fair bit of wood. Luckily Phil has shared his source of wood with us here on Long Island, but never the less, it is still a scarce commodity here on Long Island. My brother and I have started talking about a different kind of smoker. Let's face it we are not getting any younger and it would be cool to have a smoker where we could get a few hours sleep during a competition. Our question is, what other of trailer smokers should I consider that use mostly charcoal. One smoker that has caught my eye is Jay's Spicewine. Are there any other smokers we should consider, like maybe a pellet smoker? We are not in a rush and we have plenty of time to research this. Our target for buying is next season. Please chime in.

The Jedmaster or Jack's Old South Signature are mighty fine. The Spicewine cookers from Jay are excellent. You need to look at the FEC100 from Fast Eddie/Cookshack.

For charcoal burn, I'd look strongly at the Spicewine, Backwoods, and Stump cookers. That's just a few of the choices available, but I really like the idea of insulation to make the cooker more efficient. Plus, I tight cooker gives you more control and a longer burn. That equals more free time to get some sleep. Oh, the Big Green Eggs, although somewhat fragile and heavy for their capacity, would be another great choice. Pellet cookers are great, but they don't meet the criteria you listed. Another thing to consider is the ease of transporting the cooker and how difficult it is to clean it up. Just some thoughts.

i'll take your lang today if you want to get rid of it

Guy, I have seen Jay's smokers both in action and in construction phases. Can't speak for the other brands because I have not had the chance to see how they're made but you know the decision I made and why. Very solid and unlike some, they're hand built by someone who competes. I think that makes somewhat of a difference when you're looking for a smoker for comps. That's not to say I think others who make smokers and don't compete make any less of a product. What I mean by that is that there are probably a few features Jay would add in because they are useful at contests.

I own 2 Spicewines with another custom on the way!! Call Jay and talk to him. I think you will be very impressed. That's why so many of us have chosen Spicewine.

Gents,

Thank you for your input. Spicewine is high on the list for me. The more I hear and read, the more I am intrigued. When the time comes I may take a trip to spicewine to have a peek.

Chick'n Pig BBQ said:
I own 2 Spicewines with another custom on the way!! Call Jay and talk to him. I think you will be very impressed. That's why so many of us have chosen Spicewine.

What he said!!

Attachments

• spice16.jpg
    spice16.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 54
Back