Paid Subscription Expiry Notice

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I got the following email from the forum. You better believe I'm renewing. I have a collection of smokers, rubs, tools, etc., but the subscription to this place has been the best investment I have made when it comes to BBQ - and even meeting some great people.

If you are not a subscribing member, I urge you to consider it. This site costs money to run. I believe you can subscribe for as little as $25/year.

This is an automated message sent by the BBQ Brethren Forum Software.

Your access to the paid subscription "50$ Yearly Subscription" in the BBQ Brethren Forum is about to expire.

To renew this subscription you can visit http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/payments.php

If you choose not to renew your subscription, the extended features associated with the subscriptions will revert back to non-subscribers status. This includes extended features such as Custom Avatars, extended signatures, the enhanced search function, new post function and member searches, extended profiles, access to the social networking and more. You will still have full access to read and post in all our public forums.

Sweet blue to everyone
and thank you for helping to support our forum.

From the staff at The BBQ Brethren Forums
WWW.BBQ-Brethren.com

Guerry, I would too...it's well worth it - I can only do so much right now. Karen's medical bills are coming due and cancer isn't cheap. YET, I know that with the things I learn here, I'll be able to keep my customers happy and maybe keep winning a comp here and there - and that helps pay the bills.

Like I said, the subscription is a good investment...even for people who just want to cook better for their friends/family. OF course, I do have to put up with YOU! ;)

With y'all on the value of this place. After i got over the shock of realizing I really didn't know chit after years of cooking, it's been great!

I doubt if there's a bigger or better repository of outdoor cooking info anywhere in any form. The only catch is having to navigate these ^^^^^farkers to get to the info. :heh:

The banana-thong-wearing-killer-of brisket has a good point. All the info IS free - although it is worth a small fortune, but to keep the hamsters running in their cages as to keep the lights on and the computers running, it takes some cash.

PLEASE GIVE....HELP FEED THE COMPUTER GENERATING HAMSTERS!!!!

I received my Subscription Expiry Notice yesterday. Hard to believe that it's been a year (tomorrow) since I subscribed to the Brethren. I got way more in value out of this site than what I spent on a subscription.

I didn't like that I only had one beer under my name so I've gladly upped my subscription to the Blue Star level for an extra beer. Maybe next year I can add some tequila!

Thanks Brethren for a great 1st year!

Actually Dan, once you pay, if you ever stop, all the knowledge that was implanted in your head is taken and those smokers become flower pots again. :p

Its well worth it, I gain $25 worth of knowledge every day that I come on these boards(which has been every day for about 5 years).

I'd become a paying member if there were a onetime fee or lifetime membership....but an anual fee just seems too much. There are a BUNCH of members on here and can't see this site costing that much to run.

Don't get me wrong, LOVE the site there are some good cooks here and would like to see this place around for a long time but for average joe like me the cost isn't justified.

I'd become a paying member if there were a onetime fee or lifetime membership....but an anual fee just seems too much. There are a BUNCH of members on here and can't see this site costing that much to run.Don't get me wrong, LOVE the site there are some good cooks here and would like to see this place around for a long time but for average joe like me the cost isn't justified.

Wow, there is so much wrong with that statement I don't know where to start. How about here -- there is no cost. The information is always there. Send money once. Every one is better off for your contribution and you're not a, oh what's a nice name for freeloader. :p (A smile makes a snarky statement cute right?)

Wow, there is so much wrong with that statement I don't know where to start. How about here -- there is no cost. The information is always there. Send money once. Every one is better off for your contribution and you're not a, oh what's a nice name for freeloader. :p (A smile makes a snarky statement cute right?)

I think there's something wrong with both of your posts.

Camerman... namecalling isn't cool.

Kik... please realize that the costs are more than you think. A dedicated server with a commercial database can cost several hundred dollars per month, and I'm not even factoring in the costs associated with moderating and the various softwares it takes to interact. If you cannot afford to help, so be it. But please realize that without base support, the site will not continue.

I'm a subscriber. I think the site is worth more than $25..... but I am a bit naive sometimes and do wonder how much it could possibly cost to run this site, especially with the banner ads. So, I don't think that comment should be summarily dismissed. But, then I think back to my right-wing Adam Smith roots and figure that if people are getting rich off the subscriptions, dam right! More power to them! They should be. It is a fair trade. As long as I get more than just due for my $25, it shouldn't matter what they are getting.

(fairness = path to destruction)

I'm going to get down off my right-wing soap box now before I make an a$$ of myself.

Just an observation... let's compare a Brethren subscription to a physical magazine subscription.

1. 12 issues per year... on hardcopy print.
2. Those pages will never change once published.
3. No updates or conversations on topics... except for a brief editor's page.
4. That magazine will be either thrown out for age, wear and tear, or damaged.... if it survived the transit to your doorstep.
5. You'll never know who else is on the mailing list.
6. Can you compare notes?

The Brethren
A. Source of tens of thousands (strike that... over 1.5 million) stories from tens of thousands contributors.
B. Those stories will continue to evolve in direct relation to those contributors.
C. Can you throw out the internet?
D. The list of members and options of subscriptions offer so much more than one size fits all.
E. The life's experiences are so much more than the written page.
F. Brethren will find time for Brethren... regardless.

and by the way... there is also the BBQ Brethren's E-zine.

Did I mention the Brethren are real people.... not just an alter-ego (there are some exceptions to that rule).

It is all that and so much more.... than $25 a year.

Last edited:
I'm an accountant by trade and I can't understand why some, in validating the cost of a subscription are trying to figure out the actual cost of running this site. The value one RECEIVES or BENEFITS from using this site is what should be the determining factor(s) of the true market value of a subscription.

Go down to your local bbq restaurant and ask to speak to the manager. When he comes out start asking him how he runs his restaurant, what tips would he give in starting one, then go on to ask him his "secrets" to smoking ribs, brisket, chicken etc. After he gives you the middle finger then pull your wallet out and offer him $25 for the same information. Then after he gives you two middle fingers realize then how valuable the information we get from this site. :thumb:

Last edited:
When I was much younger (and even more naive than I am now) I asked my brother and his business partner how they knew what to ask for their product. They looked at each other and laughed answering "You ask for as much as you think you can get." That there is the dang truth. While we're on the topic of business truths here are two of my favorites --

1. If you're too busy raise your prices.

2. Refer your problem clients to your competition.

Back