• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Just getting Started???

zwylde1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello All,

Brand new to the forum and sure glad I found this. Decided it is time to upgrade for the old standard Weber gas fired grill and step up to the next level of cooking over a smoker. Man it is overwhelming the amout and types of setups out there. So for now, just looking for a basic entry level unit and move on from there as experience and knowledge is gained.

Any recomendation from you all?

Thanks in advance. Great site!

^^^^^^yep^^^^ you will find the kettle to be the most versitile piece of equipment you can own.

Here is one path:
Start off with a Weber Kettle. The 22.5" OTS is $89.99 at Lowes or Home Depot. Learn how to set up for indirect cooking and you've got a start in BBQ.
Next get a Weber Smokey Mountain, or if you're even slightly mechanically inclined, build a UDS. You'll then be grilling on the Kettle and smoking on the WSM or drum.
From there you should be totally hooked and there's no turning back.
You might want a Big Green Egg for versatility, and so you can cook comfortably all winter.
Or a nice upright cabinet style smoker for more capacity so you can show off your skills to more people.
Eventually you'll want a big offset stick burner, just because it's cool and sexy.

Agreed 100% on getting a Weber kettle. I'd look to get a used one off craigslist though. :thumb:

95% of the stuff I've smoked on my Weber has come out great, the other 5% was edible but operator error and could have been better :redface:

I'm to the stage now of wanting to get a WSM or build a UDS after the holidays get over with.

Keep the gasser, Weber kettles are too much work! :becky:

I'd agree on a Weber Kettle, not only is is great for grilling but you can also smoke on it too...although building a UDS is not only fun, but it's a really easy unit to operate that turns out great BBQ.

Obviously not as popular, but for what its worth, a Char-Griller pro with the offset firebox is what got me hooked. It has a larger capacity than a weber if you plan on feeding more than a few people (like 10??? i dunno). Its light gage material, has a steep learning curve and takes attention but that was something i didnt mind (i like tending a fire). I have a small weber also, and i do prefer it for grilling, never tried smoking anything on it though. Anyway, CGP is an entry level offset style if you think you may get interested in stick burning in the future... ~ $150 bucks at kroger around here. Good luck and welcome.

Weber Kettle to start and you'll have a grill/smoker for a lifetime. Then if you want something more for smoking get a WSM or build a UDS. I vote UDS:becky:

Here is one path:
Start off with a Weber Kettle. The 22.5" OTS is $89.99 at Lowes or Home Depot. Learn how to set up for indirect cooking and you've got a start in BBQ.
Next get a Weber Smokey Mountain, or if you're even slightly mechanically inclined, build a UDS. You'll then be grilling on the Kettle and smoking on the WSM or drum.
From there you should be totally hooked and there's no turning back.
You might want a Big Green Egg for versatility, and so you can cook comfortably all winter.
Or a nice upright cabinet style smoker for more capacity so you can show off your skills to more people.
Eventually you'll want a big offset stick burner, just because it's cool and sexy.

Follow the path. I'm up to wanting the BGE. Can't wait for the conversation "Honey I need $10000.00 for the trailer smoker because it's just cool".

Another Weber kettle fan here. Reasonable price and it does nice job. Then build a UDS.

Kettle... then a UDS... then a WSM... then a BGE... then an offset.

After those... then there's a world of pellet poopers.

Just kidding... a Kettle or UDS... a great foundation for a future in BBQ.

1. Get the Klose Extended 20x60 Master Chef.
2. Decide 'cuing is not for you.
3. Give cooker away. I'll take it off your hands.

Seriously, starting out with indirect cooks on a Weber kettle is a fantastic way to start and you will have that thing for the rest of your life.

Yea I got started with a kettle cuz that's what my dad taught me on. I got one when I got my first place and cooked on it for 10 years, happy as a clam. Then I got a hair up my butt one day and decided to see what the heck else was out there. Joined the brethren and it was game over after that. I've since added a performer followed by an ECB followed by a UDS followed by another UDS followed by a Klose that I scored on CL followed by a Spicewine. And that was just in the last year, half of which I was unemployed! It's a sickness I tell ya. And it all started with a kettle.

Back