MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #16
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMAJ View Post
Looks great! I like the protein to starch ratio on your plate...

Me too!!!!!

I might add that these are only cornish game hens that we had in the freezer. Next time I'm going for the full size chicken

Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Wow! Those birds look outstanding. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the recipe. I totally
pulled that one out of my hat when I was under pressure to come up with something
for McCormick. Oh, and that video? I shot two hours of footage just to get that. The
editing took about four hours. I hate video!

Thanks again,
John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's some beautiful pron, brother!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
Sleepy Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
I'll have to get my wife to answer you on the biscuits, they are absolutly amazing. She's been making them for me for over 30 years.
They certainly look amazing. I've been working on perfecting a biscuit recipe the past few years and I seem to have plateaued at "pretty good"; but I keep looking for improvement. I'd love to give those a try if she is willing to share a recipe, or even a key tip or two.

Thanks.
Sleepy Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Smoker View Post
They certainly look amazing. I've been working on perfecting a biscuit recipe the past few years and I seem to have plateaued at "pretty good"; but I keep looking for improvement. I'd love to give those a try if she is willing to share a recipe, or even a key tip or two.

Thanks.
I'm sorry it's taken so long, we've been real busy with grandkids and our towns Christmas parade but here goes:

Homemade Biscuits

Ingredients;

3 cups self-rising flour (I use White Lily)
1 cup reduced fat buttermilk (do not use store brand milk, it’s important to use quality milk).
½ cup Crisco shortening

Directions;

Add flour to mixing bowl. With your hands hollow out a place in the flour kind of like you are making a bowl. Add buttermilk and Crisco. Knead with your fingers to obtain a spongy consistency. Pinch off desired amount of dough and shape into a ball by rolling in cupped hands (keep hands dusty with flour). Flatten dough to about ½ inch thick and place onto a greased cookie sheet (I call them bread pans). Make a slight indentation on the top of each biscuit to keep them from cracking when they cook.

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees (pre-heat oven as you are making the biscuits)
Place pan into oven and cook till golden brown. I do not go by time when cooking biscuits, I go by the color. Once done remove pan from oven and turn biscuits upside down in the pan (this lets the bottom crisp just a little and gives them just a slight crunch when bitten into). This step also affects how the biscuit taste’s (at least to me it does)

Tweak the recipe to get the results you’re looking for. Always use quality ingredients, it makes a huge difference. It takes practice, do not judge the first batch that you bake, wait till you’ve baked them a few times as to get everything right. Hope you enjoy them!

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

I forgot to add, only about half of the flour in the above recipe will be used. The remainder can be sifted and re-used.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #22
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

nice birds

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #23
Big George's BBQ