Wood Pellets

Mike Twangzer

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Dicks Sporting Goods currently has a promotion on their wood pellets. Buy one and get the second one at 50% off. So Traeger lists at $18.99 while the Lumberjack is at $14.99 .. all 20 lbs. Not sure if all flavors and varieties are carried. Is this reasonable ? Haven't gone down to the store so I'm not sure if it's on-line only ..

I've used Traegar pellets for years with great results including some GC wins. :)

I use the gourmet blend from Costco in 33lb bags almost exclusively.

I've used Traegar pellets for years with great results including some GC wins. :)

I use the gourmet blend from Costco in 33lb bags almost exclusively.

He is on the West coast, that does make a difference on the Traeger pellets, being a great result driven cook like you prolly knew that thou...…..:thumb:

Ok- such a good tip. Thanks for the heads up. So good- I am making my second post! :thumb:

Dicks is also featuring free shipping for online orders over 50 bucks. With the deal posted here and the free shipping, I was able to get 6 bags of Lumberjack Hickory- delivered to the door for $69.40. A little over 11 dollars a bag including the tax. :shock:

pellets

Ok- such a good tip. Thanks for the heads up. So good- I am making my second post! :thumb:

Dicks is also featuring free shipping for online orders over 50 bucks. With the deal posted here and the free shipping, I was able to get 6 bags of Lumberjack Hickory- delivered to the door for $69.40. A little over 11 dollars a bag including the tax. :shock:

Since I'm new to the pellet game and have not yet received my Assassin 36in grill, I just might mosey down to dicks or give them a call to see if it is in stock at the store ... but being a bit lazy .... maybe just order on line. thx mike

He is on the West coast, that does make a difference on the Traeger pellets, being a great result driven cook like you prolly knew that thou...…..:thumb:

Nope. Had no clue. Why would I look into specifics on something that isn't broken for me? That's why a wide audience like this is able to share information more effectively, but now I'm curious: what's the difference? Two Traegar plants that source/manufacture the pellets differently geographically?

Nope. Had no clue. Why would I look into specifics on something that isn't broken for me? That's why a wide audience like this is able to share information more effectively, but now I'm curious: what's the difference? Two Traegar plants that source/manufacture the pellets differently geographically?

Yes two plants, Mississippi river is the market divide line, or close to it....

The base wood if you are on the west coast is alder and the east coast is oak.

Mesquite or Hickory 100% base wood (alder or oak) with flavor oils no actual Mesquite or Hickory wood in the pellet

Apple, Pecan or Cherry 70% base wood 30% Apple, Pecan or Cherry wood

Maple 100% Maple wood

Alder on the west coast is 100% Alder on east coast 70% oak 30% Alder

Oak on the east coast is 100% Oak on the west coast 70% Alder 30% Oak

I think I remember this correctly?:-D

Last edited:
I could definitely see alder vs. oak as the main filler being an issue with BTU's etc.

All of my pellets have been purchased in Jax Fl so I imagine I've never gotten a bag that was alder based.

The gourmet blend from Costco claims to be Maple, Hickory, Cherry - I've had very good luck with it in terms of flavor profile and BTU consistency etc. I just read the bag for the first time in who knows how long, and it does say on there that they have three mills.

Stick with lumberjack or cookin pellets and buy in bulk. Much cheaper and much better pellets

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've got a 20lb bag of Traeger hickory and 20lb of Cabela's apple. I use them exclusively for smoking cheese. They both impart a good flavor on cheese but I prefer the apple.

Good price, too bad it’s at Dick’s.

Exactly. I don’t patronize Dick’s anymore

I was rethinking my original post about Dick’s. Twelve bags of pellets seems to be the limit before the price starts to increase, so if I order twelve bags with free shipping I doubt they will be making any profit. Shipping would be ridiculous on 240 pounds of pellets. I can live with that. Might just have to place an order. :mrgreen:

Back