Brethren - Your Thoughts on this Pit...

PBrug

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Texas Pit Crafters...

- It's 10 - 15 years old.
- Sear unit is bad and needs replaced (I may not bother with that...)
- Some surface rust on frame and inside the pit & firebox, but overall the firebox and pit bottom are sturdy.
- Cover included.
- Chimney is below the grate.
- It's a large footprint for a 18X33 grate on the pit itself. May be able to modify if I lose the sear grill...
- Not really sure I have the room, probably don't need it and I'd have to find a good wood supply, but I have some wood to get started and no lack of other smokers/grills to use. Plus these things have never stopped me from buying a grill/smoker before, lol...
- I've been thinking of trying out a stick burner, and have thought about a cheap intro model.

So...

- Asking price was $200 (which I'm thinking was a good deal) and we worked out a deal for a Weber Platinum One Touch (that I bought used on CL a while back and never use, as I have 5 kettles) and a little cash, to get to that $200 mark...

- Is this a better option than a cheaper intro model stick burner? I've only been able to find a little info on these. While this is 10+ years old, they are MUCH more pricey new...

While we've agreed to a deal and I have no intention on backing out at this point (hoping the seller feels the same & no one steals it from me ;) I would love some insight from the Brethren...

I'm picking her up this weekend and will post more pics then... I'll also be inquiring on the best methods to clean and fire her up, as this will be new for me...

Thanks!

37580696_10213945490126165_8500381328422731776_n.jpg

37583709_10213945490206167_7324111861903785984_n.jpg

37383535_10213945489966161_3336684990464262144_n.jpg

Score.! I’d get it. :heh: ....... Searing station could be an Easy fix too......

Last edited:
I’d get it. :heh: ....... Searing station could be an Easy fix too......

:thumb:

Seller said searing unit from Texas Pit Crafters is about $200. He's replaced it 2X's over the years... Once I get it here, I'll pull it apart and see if there are other options...

I could Knock out some BadAzz Q on that thing. Need more pics. May need to make new fire grate / maybe a baffle or deflector or something - maybe not - I need to see inside it but for what you gave for it it’ll be worth doing.

At that price I'd definitely get it. From Smitty's link it looks like the searing station comes off so if you don't end up repairing it you gain the smaller footprint. Based on the weight it should be pretty well made.

I like it. The stainless is super clean. If it were mine I think it would clean up the rust and give it a nice flat black paint job. If you don't fix the sear unit it might make a nice little storage cabinet for utensils and rubs. Nice score.

I could Knock out some BadAzz Q on that thing. Need more pics. May need to make new fire grate / maybe a baffle or deflector or something - maybe not - I need to see inside it but for what you gave for it it’ll be worth doing.

Thanks!

I'll be sure to post many pics after I pick it up. These are just the ones the seller posted.

Thanks All!!! I appreciate the input.

Deal is in place and I should be getting her home by the end of the weekend.

I’d paint the steel and chop off the sear burner. Heck of a deal.

Maybe give some thought to converting the sear burner thingy from propane to charcoal?

Back