MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
jakealberts
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Taste / Texture Test project

This weekend I am doing a bit of a test, I know what the results will be like but love the challenge anyway.

I am working on an article on smoking on a gas grill and am going to smoke ribs on my Vermont Casting's VC5700. I used to do this all the time before I had my UDS. I remove a grate and add a tinfoil tray on top of the difuser with some wood chips in it. I plug 95% of the holes / gaps around the lid and smoke away. I have had really good results doing this in the past.

What I want to try is a side by side comparison with the UDS. I know I will get better flavor out of the UDS using lump charcoal instead of natural gas as the fuel, but am curious either way.

I will post picks as I get into it, I plan on Saturday pending severe weather changes and unforseen circumstances.

-Jay

Old 09-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking forward to seeing the results. I used to smoke with a gasser and a chip box - but then I saw the light.
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Nick@ParkAQ
Full Fledged Farker

Charcoal vs gas? U R kidding right?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
jakealberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@ParkAQ View Post
Charcoal vs gas? U R kidding right?
I know there will be a huge taste difference. Wondering if I kept the temps the same if I can get some comparible textures.

With the Gas grill, I will be smoking them with wood chips and using indirect heat.

-Jay

Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Nick@ParkAQ
Full Fledged Farker

I would be surprised if the textures even came close as I'd anticipate the coal vs gas has a different humidity factor as well. I now that when I have had smoked gas meat its never as good in flavor or as deep in smoke and the bark is less rigid. Note I've never used gas, i'm not allowed ....

Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
jakealberts

I am very interested to find out. I never thought about the humidity. One thing I do do (heehee) is always have a bowl in both with my baste in it to add extra humidity.

I know that before I had the UDS I had produced pretty awesome ribs on the grill using the mentioned, indirect method but never had both side by side before. I do like the ribs on the UDS because of the added flavour Either way, it gives me a chance to fire them up this weekend. Really looking forward to seeing if there is a texture difference.

-Jay

Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

I'll be looking forward to the report of your results. For many years I did ribs on a gasser and my results were, to put it mildly, inconsistent.

Hub
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Nick@ParkAQ
Full Fledged Farker

mild put noted Hub. duly noted!