• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Agenda February BOD meeting

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY

BOARD OF DIRECTOR’S MEETING

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 2009

AGENDA

Request to Address Board Larry King re Contest Rep and Yahoo Group

Election of Officers
President
Vice President
Treasurer
Secretary
Committees are appointed by the incoming President

Minutes

Accounting
(January Income Statement & Balance Sheet)
(Budget draft and Assumptions attached)

Contests Past Lakeland, FL
Great Bend, KS
Pass Christian, MS
Requests Sanction Committee Report
Contest Application
Licensed Non-Sanctioned request
Committee Reports
Finance Committee Report Wayne Lohman
Review of 2009 budget.
Nominating Committee No Report

Rules Committee Rod Gray
Approval to correct an error in the 2009 rules.

Education Committee Paul Kirk
New for the Bull Sheet: Education Corner
Endorsement Proposal for Industry-Based Certification of (Basic) Food Science I & (Advanced) Food Science II Pearl River High School Agriscience Department (curriculum attached)

Membership Committee No Report

New Ideas: Merl Whitebook

A motion to allow telephone communication between KCBS Member and the Board at Board meetings.

A motion which would require the Board to approve any anticipated losses for any program, contract or event in advance.

A motion to provide comment cards to Judges for the benefit of Cooks

Technology Committee Don Harwell
Motion to approve the Scripts for the Judge’s, Cook’s and Table Captain Meetings.

A motion to modify the Licensed contests to allow for State proclamations.

A motion to put a recording of the Board meetings on the KSBS web site.

A motion to end the practice of putting cooking classes in the Bullsheet and on the web, without a charge.

Contest Rep Committee Carol Whitebook
A motion concerning the use of ranking in auxiliary categories.

Discussion of the 2009 Rep Manual and requirements of Contest Reps for procedure compliance.

Discussion regarding the posting of the files regarding teams which have disciplinary action on the Rep site.

A motion regarding the time when a presentation box is DQ for appearance.

Research & Development Linda Mullane

A motion to make all rules forms and activities of KCBS conform the calendar year.

Marketing
Discussion of the 2009 Tour Budget

Old/New Business
Discussion concerning Team of the Year Awards
Grant Application-I Love BBQ Jr
Grant Application-Corliss Johnson Foundation
Response to unresolved issue at contest

And any other business that may come before the Board

A motion to end the practice of putting cooking classes in the Bullsheet and on the web, without a charge.

Our mission is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form. We want barbeque to be recognized as America's Cuisine.

I guess they need to add at the end...AND WE WANT TO GET PAID FOR IT !

This is a huge deal for new contests

My understanding is that right now new (inaugural) contests can buy a one-time license, but they cannot be a State Championship. Looks like theyre moving to change that, which would draw more teams to those contests.

I'm wondering about the resurrection of the comment cards... IMO a great idea in the case of really low, really high, or out-of-whack scores...

This is a huge deal for new contests
I totally agree. It means that it can be a qualifier and get licenced without the cost of full sanctioning and as a first year contest they only need 15 teams so they can limit applications. A lot more teams would be interested in attending. Without allowing the State Proc it's actually a drawback to be licensed as it can't be a qualifier.

Hope that answers the other post asking Thom what it means.

Yep Ford Thats the deal
A new 1st year contest can hope see a much better turn out with a Royal invite and a Jack draw for its winner
You know Scottie will be there at every one of these

Only if I don't have that state checked off my list...

Our mission is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form. We want barbeque to be recognized as America's Cuisine.

I guess they need to add at the end...AND WE WANT TO GET PAID FOR IT !

Bingo!

I've heard a lot about the benefits that I can expect to be coming as a KCBS member. My $35 per year isn't going to break me, but those benefits and discounts that I understood to be coming still haven't shown up. If someone has the credentials, is a member, and is willing to teach a class then, in my opinion, they should get a free listing. As pointed out above they are carrying out the mission statement of the organization. At the end of the day you can bank on the fact that they aren't getting rich off of those classes when you start adding up their expenses.

Bingo!

I've heard a lot about the benefits that I can expect to be coming as a KCBS member. My $35 per year isn't going to break me, but those benefits and discounts that I understood to be coming still haven't shown up. If someone has the credentials, is a member, and is willing to teach a class then, in my opinion, they should get a free listing. As pointed out above they are carrying out the mission statement of the organization. At the end of the day you can bank on the fact that they aren't getting rich off of those classes when you start adding up their expenses.

Free listing is great if you are teaching a free class but charging $500.00 a person x 20 people is not a free class and they should have to pay for an ad just like contests do. That is my understanding of what the issue is.

At $500 a pop each student
paying a little for a ad wont kill the BBQ Class Biz

Free listing is great if you are teaching a free class but charging $500.00 a person x 20 people is not a free class and they should have to pay for an ad just like contests do. That is my understanding of what the issue is.

Fair point.

My understanding is that right now new (inaugural) contests can buy a one-time license, but they cannot be a State Championship. Looks like theyre moving to change that, which would draw more teams to those contests.

I'm wondering about the resurrection of the comment cards... IMO a great idea in the case of really low, really high, or out-of-whack scores...

I totally agree. It means that it can be a qualifier and get licenced without the cost of full sanctioning and as a first year contest they only need 15 teams so they can limit applications. A lot more teams would be interested in attending. Without allowing the State Proc it's actually a drawback to be licensed as it can't be a qualifier.

Hope that answers the other post asking Thom what it means.

Yep Ford Thats the deal
A new 1st year contest can hope see a much better turn out with a Royal invite and a Jack draw for its winner
You know Scottie will be there at every one of these
So then what good would paying the licensing fee do for a contest? If a non-sanctioned event has a governors proclamation and 15 teams they are a qualifier without paying for a licensing fee.

So then what good would paying the licensing fee do for a contest? If a non-sanctioned event has a governors proclamation and 15 teams they are a qualifier without paying for a licensing fee.

NOthing to worry about, it didnt pass!

Quick notes were sent to Carolyn and Mike at 7:00 a.m. I do not understand the delay. Will send it again to the office.
Merl

The 2009 KCBS officers are:
Mike Lake, President
Wayne Lohman, VP
Rod Gray, Treasurer
Merl Whitebook, Secretary

Back