A 6 mile walk in NYC for RUB BBQ

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
I was in Manhattan this afternoon for a doctor appointment uptown on 98th & Madison at Mt Sinai. After the appointment, I decided to walk part of the way back to Penn Station for the train on 33rd & 7th to cut down on the taxi cost ( I hate the subways).

It was a nice day so after I passed Central Park, instead of catching a taxi cab to Penn Station, I challenged myself to walk all the way to RUB BBQ for dinner... No small feat considering it's about 6 miles away, it's 5PM and the streets of NYC are insane as everyone is just getting out of work.The total walk took 1.5 hrs but I made it... I considered stopping at Virgil's BBQ in midtown but knew the quality at RUB was worth the effort to complete the walk.

For my efforts, I treated myself to a bowl of chili & brisket sandwich on white bread and a sweet tea.. After meal was done I then walked 10 more blocks back to Penn to catch the train. My feet hurt !!!!

Chili was excellent... Tons of smoky brisket, good flavor broth.. There are two types beans in the chili... I did find it a bit salty but not enough to make me dislike it as all the other components were excellent. Brisket sandwich was top notch.. As good as my visit last month.. Very moist, very flavorful, perfect smoke etc.

I thought I was going to see Matt (backyardchef) but I did not see him and when I asked for him, the hostess seemed a bit odd in her response so I did not pursue again.

Sorry for the poor pics.. taken with my outdated camera phone.

Last edited:
Maybe the pictures from the phone are fuzzy cause the lens has some blue water from a port-a-potty on it.:shock:

Good to hear RUB BBQ is worth a 6 mile walk-judging from your previous review it sounds like they have it going on!
Now then-did you walk it all off on your way back to Penn Station?

WOW! I was there yesterday, too! I stopped in around 4:15 for an hour. Met with the co-owner, Julia and we chatted for a while at the bar. Really nice woman. Matt was not working yesterday and I was not able to get a tour due to the dinner rush prep.

Went there specifically for the pastrami and the burnt ends and they were SOLD OUT!! Dang.

Had the cubed bacon and a 1/4lb of brisket. Bacon was really tasty. Brisket was good but not tender.

Can't wait to get back and try the pastrami and ends.

The pastrami is real good and something you have to try at least once but I dont think it anywhere near as good as Katz. Make sure when you go back to get burnt endz,

Another great report, and a fuzzy photo of RUB beats a clear one of most other barbecue. I once walked from Southern Hospitality to RUB and I haven't been the same since. I agree with Big Barry that Julia is a sweetie and with Sledneck that the burnt ends are a MUST if they have 'em. Pastrami is at its best on the Reuben Crusher-- a sandwich I like to split four ways with a group.

Back