Best location for probe

Scott_nra

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
ok brethern dudes. I'm trying to take beer butt chicken to another level. I know how to prep it and cook it so it isn't underdone. However I seem to regularly overdo it a bit and end up with a bird that falls apart. It's still good to us a bit on the mushy side.

So, I have this new gadgetry. Maverick Redi Check 2 channel wonder gizmo. I'm going to use this dude to perfect some of my stuff and one of them is hammered yardbird. Question is, where is the optimum place to stick the probe?

My first thought is to stick it through mid breast until is hit bone adn then back it out about 18" - 1/4".

What say ye?

While I'm at it, do you guys close up the necks or leave them open? I have always pinned shut with toothpicks to trap moisture. I have never had one go dray but wondered what ya'll do.

Last edited:
My experience is that the thigh is the last to get done. I would try to position it near the joint in the thigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The USDA recommends cooking whole poultry to a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F as measured using a food thermometer. Check the internal temperature in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast. When cooking pieces, the breast, drumsticks, thighs, and wings should be cooked until they reach a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F. For reasons of personal preference, consumers may choose to cook poultry to higher temperatures.

Above info from USDA site. I smoke mine at 325*-350* and I stuff a small potato in the neck.

I second the spatchcock method. I have never had good luck getting chicken done until I went to the spatchcock method. I think the "juices aren't red" method is the method way to tell if it's done.

Joint near the thigh, and then stick the probe into the breast and anyplace else you want to check the temps to make sure you are OK.

Your cooker may not cook evenly, since we don't have a clue as to what it is.

I wouldn't close the neck off to retain moisture or flavor. If you got the seasoning on the inside, it's not going to pick anything else up in my experience. If closing the kneck off does anything, it's going to steam the inside of the bird faster than the outside can cook, and throw your temp readings off depending on where your probe is.

ok, so whaz a "spatchcock"?

So far my beer can bird gets cooked on the gasser. It does a really great job of even temps with the grill grates adn the lid closed. I have to prop it open just a bit on low or run less burners to get about 325* - 350*. I cheat and use a foil pack of chips or pellets to get the smoke. Honestly, I have not tried on the Chargriller offset yet. I will when it warms up a bit.

I rub inside and out and refrigerate for hours sometimes overnight first. Bet I've cooked 100 of them and only once had an underdone bird early on. Never had one dried out. I assumed that was cause I shut the neck hole. When I over cook them its like a crock pot chicken and just falls apart.

When I grow up I'll get me a thermopen. spensive buggers ain't they?

Personally, I take chicken off at 160 in the breast and then tent it with HD foil for 10-30 minutes depending on eating time. It will continue to cook under the foil.

You could also try to ice the breast of the bird so that the white meat and the dark meat get to respective temps. I have never done it with chicken but it works wonderfully with turkey. For a turkey, 20 minutes, no more no less. So, if I had to guess on a 5 lb whole chicken, I'd say 5 minutes to start.

Back