MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
chillcoolcold
Full Fledged Farker

Default Andouille (mild setback) question

I have made fresh Italian sausage for years –grind, mix, stuff, vacuum pack and freeze. Now I have all this nice andouille and I was going to hang it in my offset smoker and smoke it for a couple of hours Until I read "DONT DO IT" if you did not add a cure to it cause of potential bacteria (botulism) - no problem I can seal and freeze right now, just wont have smoke flavor. Any other suggestions?

Old 10-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks good bro. I don't know why you couldn't smoke the sausage for a couple of hours and then freeze it like the fresh links. We will be making sausage again real soon so I am interested in other suggestions. Good luck!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

first off never done sausage... but the potential "danger" i see would be if only for a couple hours... the temp wouldnt raise up much more than to the bacteria breeding zone... if however ya took and fully cooked the meat to temp, then froze it afterwards there would be no problem as ya killed off the potential bacteria... maybe???
[/URL] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490010637758.259874.578407758&l=06aa73c27f"]GROGG[/URL]
[URL="fromthemouthofkstewart.blogspot.com"]MY BLOG[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/mmmgto"]Facebookin it![/URL]
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

Hopefully Kevin will stumble in here soon. He gave me some sausages a while back, including andouille. He knows his stuff!!
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

The warning you read about was for cold smoking sausage, where the sausage hangs for potentially days or weeks at temps that could be around room temperature in some cases.

What you are trying to do is fine. It is no more dangerous than cooking a butt that way. You are cooking and smoking at the same time. Smoke it at 225-250 to an internal temp of 140* and it is food safe.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
chillcoolcold
Full Fledged Farker

Default Great answer just, what I needed to here

I couldn't resist actually started before I read this!!!

Thanks

here is some Food pron

Old 10-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

As far as I know, you should use cure when smoking sausage at lower temps. Otherwise it it considered a "fresh" sausage, and intended to be cooked faster and hotter than one might do in the smoker (low and slow). When smoking sausage you are putting the meat in the perfect environment to create food poisoning, ie- 40*F to 140*F, low acid, lack of oxygen, high moisture, good nutrients. That is why nitrite (cure) is used when cooking at lower temps as it will retard any botulism during the cook at lower temps.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
bigabyte

You are also cooking it in there, right? You're not just doing a cold smoke? If you are cold smoking it...why? How are you planning to cook it later? All recipes calling for Andouille sausage presume it is a precooked sausage.

Just curious since I couldn't tell from the pics. That thermo reading looks kinda low...but I can't read what exactly it is at.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
chillcoolcold
Full Fledged Farker

Default cookin in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
You are also cooking it in there, right? You're not just doing a cold smoke? If you are cold smoking it...why? How are you planning to cook it later? All recipes calling for Andouille sausage presume it is a precooked sausage.

Just curious since I couldn't tell from the pics. That thermo reading looks kinda low...but I can't read what exactly it is at.
The smoker is now at 210F the meat is 120F about 45min into the smoke

Old 10-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
bigabyte

Perfect!

Duh.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
chillcoolcold
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetang View Post
As far as I know, you should use cure when smoking sausage at lower temps. Otherwise it it considered a "fresh" sausage, and intended to be cooked faster and hotter than one might do in the smoker (low and slow). When smoking sausage you are putting the meat in the perfect environment to create food poisoning, ie- 40*F to 140*F, low acid, lack of oxygen, high moisture, good nutrients. That is why nitrite (cure) is used when cooking at lower temps as it will retard any botulism during the cook at lower temps.

I will definetly get some cure next time and read up on lower temp smoking I saw your pics looks like you have done this once or twice...

Thanks