MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #16
Mad Max
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqdano View Post
First ever attempt at pastrami using the technique from Thirdeye's site.

Started soaking a 4 pounder on Wednesday changing the water every 12 hours. Friday night, put on the seasonings and wrapped with plastic. Waiting for the sun to come up to fire up the cooker. Will know later today if we hit pay dirt!

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...-pastrami.html
Thirdeye's recipe and technique is very good. Highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside Smoker View Post
Do NOT skip this step!!!
Yes, I agree, you need the steam finish to be a true New York Pastrami.
Weber 22.5 Blue Kettle (CL rescue)
Turkey Fryer
Superbly accurate, ferociously fast,
RED THERMAPEN

"Certified MOINK Ball Maker" 2008
www.southerntreats.blogspot.com
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #17
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

to save time at the store i used a dunphy & cork corned beef with very good results for store bought cooked until 170. the salt content wasnt to bad and i would finish buy cutting the meat and heating in a little water so that would take out ant reamaining salt which is like the steaming part.

WILLIE PALOOOOZA 2017 Will Happen
http://williepallooza.blogspot.com/
www.williebsbbq.com
38th IS ALMOST LIKE WINNING
rbsnwngs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
when u figure that one out.. let ME know.

lat pastrami I made was so salty it cured by stomach lining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
I'm with Poobah. I have no clue how to make real pastrami. I am, however, soaking a store bought corned beef now to remove some of the salt and hope to smoke it tomorrow.
Quote:
CLINT.. SOAK THAT SUCKER FOR AT LEAST 3 DAYS maybe 4. !!!!!

I soaked it for 2 full days plus some, changed the water 5-6 times a day, and it was still way to salty. I have about half left(gave the other half to the MIL) im going to steam it tomorrow to see if it kills some of the saltiness.
Quote:
Willie says to keep trying different brands. some are worse(saltier) than others. He found one that worked right out of the wrapper.. have to ask him which one it was. Also, several articles I read said to steam it to 200 after smoking to 165. That may get rid of some of the salt too.

The quest for a good pastrami is a long one because like Phil mentioned, the threshold for saltiness is way different from one person to the next. Finding the right brand of corned beef, and working with the soak time you prefer is necessary to reproduce the quality you like. Lastly, both the smoking technique and the finish method need to be dialed in. The finish is what's important....and there are several ways to finish it off.

For the ultimate control over the whole method, another thing to consider is corning your own (and you don't have to use brisket, chuck works good) beef from scratch, and Dave Stamper's technique is a great one. Click HERE. I still use a soak out and rest following the cure, but for a baseline do one following his technique before doing any personal adjustments.

Anyways, using store bought corned beef, I like the Grobbel's brand of corned beef (my Sam's carries it), a 24 to 30 hour soak out (changing the water a few times) an overnight rest in the fridge, a smoke until the internal is 150°. A 20 minute pressure finish is my current favorite..(it takes the internal up to 200°, but keeps it super moist and tender)

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by thirdeye; 03-07-2009 at 09:19 AM..
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #19
bbqdano
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Thirdeye's recipe and technique is very good. Highly recommend it.

Yes, I agree, you need the steam finish to be a true New York Pastrami.
Appreciate the info!!

Pics to follow.

American BBQ Systems model All Star, CS-570 & TG-300 pellet grills, Broilmaster P3, and lastly, Superfast Red Thermapen
bbqdano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #20
bbqdano
Knows what a fatty is.

First attempt at pastrami was a moderate success. Pictures won't upload for some reason..... I know, no pics, didn't happen. (Anyone else having trouble uploading?)

Regardless, the salty issue is real. The finished product is certainly edible but you better like a salty & spicy sandwich. The wife & I figure not bad for the first attempt. An electric meat slicer would make a difference since thin slices are difficult by hand. Pics to follow soon, hopefully.

American BBQ Systems model All Star, CS-570 & TG-300 pellet grills, Broilmaster P3, and lastly, Superfast Red Thermapen

Last edited by bbqdano; 03-07-2009 at 07:45 PM..

Old 03-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #21
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqdano View Post
but you better like a salty & spicy sandwich.

I do, but I like salt on bacon...Can I have the leftovers!

I bet it was good, keep doing it and you will get it just the way you like it!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #22
bbqdano
Knows what a fatty is.

Pastrami & Fatty pics. Will keep working on the right combination of salt & spice.

Last edited by bbqdano; 11-22-2009 at 09:10 PM..

Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #23
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
White bread or not, that looks awesome!
X2!
Tagging this to make my own, Thanks!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #24
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I pulled the remaining half of the pastrami we makde last week out of the fridge.

gave it a simple steaming in a bamboo steamer till temps inside were... well I was targeting 190 before sampling. Well that didnt happen.. i got it up to about 170 and jackie came down hungry. So we sliced a piece off...

and another

and another..

and another.....

What a difference!!! That steaming step really is what makes it.. it removed all the excess saltiness, changed the texture and it was really pastrami. We ate the entire thing while the steamer was still setting in the pot. We sat at the table with a jar of mustard, a slicing board, carving knife, and everyone had a fork..

so.. the first half of this hunk of meat was a flop last week.. and the second half a week later.... success!. It can only get better from here.. THANKS everyone for straightening me out.

(How the hell do you guys take those close ups?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1328[1].jpg (64.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1327[1].jpg (62.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1329[1].jpg (210.4 KB, 64 views)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #25
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Thats funny

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #26
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phesant View Post

Thats funny
yeah yeah.. i know.. get closer..

Well, Thirdeye, Curt, RTD takes food pron and it looks like artwork, I take it and it looks like roadkill.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 03-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #27
BurntFinger_Jason
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
yeah yeah.. i know.. get closer..

Well, Thirdeye, Curt, RTD takes food pron and it looks like artwork, I take it and it looks like roadkill.
Check and see if your camera has a macro mode. That should point you in the right direction.
BurntFinger_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #28
bigabyte

I'm definitely giving the steaming a try, since I don't have a pressure cooker.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2009, 01:48 AM   #29
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntFinger_Jason View Post
Check and see if your camera has a macro mode. That should point you in the right direction.
Our Pentax actually has a FOOD mode!!! I could not believe it when Tricia found it.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #30
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntFinger_Jason View Post
found it! I kept on looking in all the settings and never saw one.. couldnt believe a a canon S2/is wouldnt have one... so I downloaded the manual and discovered this little button on the side of the lens.

and this is NOT to say that all of a sudden my pictures will be in focus. for some reason whenever I hold a camera, it seems I have the hands of a drunken surgeon.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Tags
pastrami