MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Question about a new comp

We are getting ready for our first Annual cook off and was tossing around some ideas to make coming to it more appealing. We were thinking of having everyone who comes to the first contest be Charter members of our cook off. Then if they show up the second year, they get a discount on the entry fee, priority on cooking sites, extra goodie bags and discount coupons to some area merchants. Then every year after that the charter members would receive discounts on entry fees and other goodies. Does this sound like something you cookers would be interested in? Do you have any other ideas that we could incorporate into our comp to increase attendance? Thanks
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Chris Nickelson
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds like a good start.

The contests that take care of the cooks, as well as make it fun, are the ones that usually get the best turnouts.

Simple things like good sized spots, clean area, easy water and trash access. These all make teams WANT to be at your contest.

Big Prize Money ain't everything. Fun and interesting trophies can be a draw as well.

IMHO

two brinkman R2D2's
Trailer Mounted H & S 2000 Pit

CBJ# 14974 :cool:
Chris Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not sure the charter member thing will be a big draw for your first event. I think that would increase your retention rate in subsequent years.

And although big prize money may not be everything, it is a factor. I want the prize purse/entry fee ratio to be as close as possible to 1 or over. We'll still do some low paying contests next year but not many.

Come up with an interesting or unique 5th category that could become a part of your tradition.

Considering your contest is going to be in July, access to showers would be nice too. Also, try and have ice and water delivery service.

We have a lot of comps to choose from in this area and as cooks, can be very picky. All of those "little" things Chris mentioned really add up.

I know when we do our 2009 planning, I'm not going back to contests that didn't meet our nit-picky standards because there will be 3 or 4 other ones that same weekend I can do instead.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

The Pickled Pig wrote:
"Considering your contest is going to be in July, access to showers would be nice too. Also, try and have ice and water delivery service."

We are going to have showers available to the cooker. Across the street from the stadium is our city swimming pool and the city is allowing the cookers access to the shower room at no cost. If you think this is something that will help cookers to decide whether or not to come to our comp we will sure advertise this benefit. Thanks

Old 11-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Some features we've offered in the past at the Georgia Barbecue Classic that cook teams seem to like:

- Late night coffee and donuts
- Free Ice
- Portable restroom trailer (climate controlled, hot and cold running water)
- Free Charcoal
- Hospitality Tent, serving complimentary food, beer & wine for cooks and judges
- Thursday night reception at host hotel with complimentary meal and drinks
- Unique, handmade trophies for Reserve and Grand
- Smokers in addition to prize money for Reserve and Grand
- On-site police officer Friday - Saturday

Last edited by Gowan; 11-19-2008 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: premature click!
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Some features we've offered in the past at the Georgia Barbecue Classic that cook teams seem to like:

- Free Ice
- Free Charcoal
- Hospitality Tent, serving complimentary food, beer & wine for cooks and judges

Wow those are some serious accomodations. Bet they had some deep pockets backing them. A little unrealistic for a small guy trying to put a comp together.
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:

- Free Ice
- Free Charcoal

Hey Gowan, when is your contest? I want to say I had a conflict in my schedule. I need to cook one in Georgia and recall that this was North of Atlanta, right? Do you have a picture of the trophy?

Thanks,

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
Wow those are some serious accomodations. Bet they had some deep pockets backing them. A little unrealistic for a small guy trying to put a comp together.
I don't know, we could probably do the donuts and coffee.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

CivilWarBBQ you left out the part where they should come to our houses and drive us to the competition and haul our smokers for us
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2008, 12:51 AM   #10
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
Wow those are some serious accommodations. Bet they had some deep pockets backing them. A little unrealistic for a small guy trying to put a comp together.
A successful contest is all about attracting good sponsors, and we've had some very generous support from businesses in our community over the years. With the economy in recession it is getting tougher to get a commitment for thousands of dollars though, so we may have to scale back some of our extras in the future.

You asked for examples of what other contests are doing, so that's what I listed. I'm not suggesting you copy any of what we have done, just giving you some ideas to prime the pump. As a cook, of everything we have offered I think my two favorites are the coffee and donuts for the guys taking the night watch and the air conditioned porta-potty trailer.

Scottie, the Georgia Barbecue Classic is held the first weekend in June in Cartersville, just off I-75 between Chattanooga and Atlanta. The Web site address is http://www.GeorgiaBarbecueClassic.com. We update the site in January, so what you will see there now reflects the 2008 event.

Last edited by Gowan; 11-20-2008 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Duh. Put in the wrong year. The site represents this year's event (2008) obviously.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
Scottie

Quote:
Scottie, the Georgia Barbecue Classic is held the first weekend in June in Cartersville, just off I-75 between Chattanooga and Atlanta. The Web site address is http://www.GeorgiaBarbecueClassic.com. We update the site in January, so what you will see there now reflects the 2007 event.

I think that is Qlossal in Iowa... Would like to make it down to yours. It's about as close as I am going to get for me...

Thanks.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 11-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #12
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

We'd love to have you at the GBC, Scottie.

If you're looking for a Georgia contest, there are two others slightly closer as the crow flies to the north of here, one in Young Harris and one in Dillard. The GBC is probably the fastest to get to from Chicago though, straight down I-65/I-24/I-75.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #13
Scottie

That's what I look for when I have to drive. Be able to get on the road in a hurry. We'll see how it works out with my schedule. I'll need to start knocking off the Southeast part of the country soon.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 11-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
Chris Nickelson
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I think that is Qlossal in Iowa... Would like to make it down to yours. It's about as close as I am going to get for me...

Thanks.
Good you head South Scottie!
That'll give us a fightin' chance at Qlossal.

lol.

two brinkman R2D2's
Trailer Mounted H & S 2000 Pit

CBJ# 14974 :cool:
Chris Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #15
Scottie

And miss being across from you guys? Nah... That is one of my fun contests for the year... I mean they are all fun, but that one is more fun??!!!

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle