MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
Jester
Full Fledged Farker

Default BGE Owners - Turbo Grate Question

A couple of days ago I ordered a large Big Green Egg which will arrive in about 10 days. So in the mean time I've been pouring over posts/comments about the BGE. Several folks have mentioned the use of the Turbo Grate from The BBQ Guru. Is this grate worth dropping $45.00 plus $12.00 in shipping? I'm all about reaching smoking nirvana, just don't want to throw away money foolishly.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

i've never used one, but i'd say try it without first, then if you feel the need, go ahead and get one.

i use a wiggle rod up thru the bottom of the charcoal grate & the ash removal tool from the top as a stirrer to help knock ash down to the bottom of the egg if i need to during a cook. once you get the hang of building your fire with the fresh, large lump on the bottom, and medium and small used lump on top, you shouldn't have any problems.

a lot of small lump pieces on the bottom will choke the air supply from below. you'll find the lump towards the bottom center burns the most and that's where you need to remove and put in the larger, fresh pieces to maintain airflow for the next burn.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

The guru might be worth it, but I've got a couple of 20+ hour burns without any help. Like Rick said, use a wiggle rod every now and then and you'll be fine. And I suggest ordering a Thirdhand grate lifter from Thirdeye. I'm not sure if he's selling wiggle rods or not. Both are my most used eggcessories. Also, Tom (tjv here) has a site. www.eggaccessories.com. He has a high quality ss grate and a few very nice accessories. He can make you go broke with all the cool egg toys. :-)
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

I've got the turbo grate and I could really go either way with it for every day use. For long (read - overnight) cooks it works well. I also use the Guru with it for overnighters, so I sleep very well.

I also have one of Tom's setups, and I love it.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote