Choices, Choices, Choices

AlabamaGrillBillies

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well guys I've been running around the 'net like a chicken with my head cut off lately. I am looking to upgrade my smoker for backyard and KCBS competion use. I also look to be doing small catering jobs, 100 people and less. I've been looking at a couple of options. Something to note is my team member has a WSM and we will be using it along with whatever I pick to replace my cheap offset

1. 24x48 backyard offset from Peoria Custom smokers. A little out of my budget but an awesome cooker.

2. A combo of buying a Ok Joe's Longhorn and either two WSMs or a large BDS smoker.

3. And this is the one I know the least about. A Stumps SW223.

The capacity on the stumps is huge, but i'm concerned about how often I'll be refueling. The biggest concern is how much of a temp difference I will be seeing from the bottom shelf to the top. Does anyone here know what the thickness of the steel walls is?

As always I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences on these.

Thanks.

I'm envious, brother!! I can't help you with anything but a good luck wish.

AGB- I think that the best thing to do is call the boys at Stumps and ask them all those questions that are on your mind and then get the testimonials from the Bretheren. I have a Backwoods and Stumps was one in consideration prior to my purchase. I am sure others will chime in. Good Luck this season.

Les

You might want to hold off and get with Joby, here is a new smoker forum:

http://www.dixieboysmokers.com/phpbb2/index.php

IMO Joby was the guy responsible for marketing and selling all of those Stumps for years and years. When Stump sold out to the Viking stores, Joby sort of got left out of the National picture. He ended up with just the Florida market and that was a market he had already dominated. He is a real good guy and is currently developing his own line of gravity feed smokers. That said, I have a Stumps and like it a bunch. I would just wait and see what gravity feed product these guys come out with.

Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
cmcadams said:
How about a spicewine???

I agree, anytime you are considering a Stumps, you also need to consider a Spicewine and a Backwoods. Those three are similar yet different and need to be compared on their own merits. Do your Due Diligence and make a sound choice.

All three are insulated and all three have large capacity with a small footprint. I won't point out all of the details but they are all truely remarkable and it may come down to shipping charges as to which one you might purchase.

That said, I can hardly wait to see what Dixieboys has to offer. It should be very similar to the Stumps.

Thanks guys, but please keep in mind that I am looking at the sw223, not the gravity feed model. I can't afford the gravity feed models. I am trying to stay under $1000 for everything.

jgh1204,

I have considered making my own UDS. I will have to study the threads on it a little more. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world, but If i have good plans to go off of it might be something I can do. Well that and as long as there isn't any welding involved. I don't have a welder yet.

I used a drill. You do not need a welder. The most expensive thing to buy is a step bit. Found out the hard way that a hole saw does not work very well on rounded metal.

My drum does 10 hours on about 10lbs of charcoal. As for air control, I use wads of aluminum foil to plug the holes until I get the temps I want.

The hardest part is burning out the drum and that was just because I was a little leary about building that big of a fire in a residential neighborhood. But, I did it.

If you can find a new, unlined drum, you wont even have to do that.

Well, I've been thinking long and hard about this purchase. Right now I am really leaning towards the Peoria Custom cookers 24x48. The owner of the company sent me like 4 or 5 cds with audio powerpoint presentations on some of his models. I was blown away by the thought, care and quality of work that is put into their smokers. This may sound like blasphemy but Klose has nothing on their cookers. I was realy impressed. Now just to save up the money...

Just thought I'd add some info I found out. The Stumps SW223 is made of 1/4" steel and the cooking capacity is hard to beat at around 2000 inches (5, 20''x20" shelves) and at around $750 its a steal.

Hey Alabama I have a Peoria and I love it. I would give mine 2 thumbs up all the way. I hope you go with them I really think you'll enjoy it and it cooks great.

If you like the Peoria Customs, have you ever thought about reverse flow? For the size you are looking at, the hot spot will take up a substatial amount of cooking area, and that is why BadBoyBBQ probably went with the 24x72. The only three builders that I know of that build reverse flow smokers are Cookers and Grills (http://www.cookersandgrills.com/), Lang Smokers (www.pigroast.com), and Meadow Creek. All are really good smokers, but you have to pick your price range. Also, I have seen the Stumps, Backwoods, and Spicewine smokers in action, and as they all basically cook the same, the Spicewine is a step above in quality. The ones I saw were on SmokingCracker's rig, and they were pretty amazing.

I am adding a WSM to my collection so that I will have two; however, my long-range sites are on the Stumps GF223 - thats my dream boat! :rolleyes:

If you like the Peoria Customs, have you ever thought about reverse flow? For the size you are looking at, the hot spot will take up a substatial amount of cooking area, and that is why BadBoyBBQ probably went with the 24x72. The only three builders that I know of that build reverse flow smokers are Cookers and Grills (http://www.cookersandgrills.com/), Lang Smokers (www.pigroast.com), and Meadow Creek. All are really good smokers, but you have to pick your price range. Also, I have seen the Stumps, Backwoods, and Spicewine smokers in action, and as they all basically cook the same, the Spicewine is a step above in quality. The ones I saw were on SmokingCracker's rig, and they were pretty amazing.

Ya I realize I'm in the price range of a Lang 48, and its still in the back of my mind. The Powerpoint presentation I got shows the unit having a pretty long 1/4" Baffle and the owner claims a very even heat diff. from firebox side to smoke stack size. Also the presentation shows it cooking a whole hawg (75#) without the need to turn it and it looking very evenly browned. The 24x48 peoria has a little more cooking capacity than the lang and is made from heavier metal.

Ya I realize I'm in the price range of a Lang 48, and its still in the back of my mind. The Powerpoint presentation I got shows the unit having a pretty long 1/4" Baffle and the owner claims a very even heat diff. from firebox side to smoke stack size. Also the presentation shows it cooking a whole hawg (75#) without the need to turn it and it looking very evenly browned. The 24x48 peoria has a little more cooking capacity than the lang and is made from heavier metal.

When I cook on mine there is usually only a 5-10 degree difference at most on the side with the firebox and the smoke stack side. This is opposed to many other smokers where you may have 20 degree + differential. Again, if budget permits I would highly recomend the Peoria.

Back