Thermometer Questions

M

MelLandry

I am the proud father of my first smoker (a Bandera). I'm working on my baffle and firebox mods right now, and I plan to crank it up to test my fire control soon. My question right now is about which thermometer to choose.

I'd like to start with something inexpensive that I can get locally. I can upgrade later. I was specifically looking at a Polder Dual Probe for about $30. Can one probe be used to measure meat temp and the other used to measure air temp in the smoking chamber?

Thanks for the help.
Mel

I have two of the Polder dual sensor units. When they work, I really like them. Problem is, they both wig out on a regular basis. I'd like to know if anyone else has this issue. Has Polder improved them at all in last year?

My Maverick Redicheck wireless is much more reliable, but don't expect much of a transmitter range. Length of the backyard for me. About $45.

Search eBay for BBQ temperature gauge. Some decent thermometers for good price there. I don't know if you can measure air temp in cook chamber with the probe. I've tried with mine, but after a while it starts acting strange with weird readings.

Just make sure whatever you buy will handle oven type temps!!

I used to use some Accu-checks and other inexpensive (non-remote) thermometers and was pleased with them. I've still got one inexpensive (about $45) remote single-probe unit that I use occassionally.

I rely more on my big analog thermometers in the Kingfisher and my new Thermapen or old standby analog instant read for the meat...in other words I don't constantly monitor the meat temp.

I like my Nu-Temps that I have had for a while now. Not that much more expensive than the others, but accurate and dependable. I also use the analog quick reads, but the more I use the Thermapen, the more I find myself falling in love. You can check several pieces of meat in the same time that it takes to check one piece with a normal thermometer.

The wife had a giftcard to LNT, so she picked up the dual sensor Polder (I wanted the dual probe, but they didn't have it). We'll start with that and upgrade when I reach the part of the learning curve where I can actually do something about the temp when the termometer tells me there's a problem.

Thanks for your help guys.

Put a Spicewine in the door like Brauma did, then at a glance while you get up and head to your cooler for a brewski you can at least see the pit temp from across the yard.

Back