MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #9616
BGBarracus
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass7858 View Post
Good day Brethren. I am making a uds using the bottom half of a cheap kettle as the dome lid. Had to fashion a ring for it to rest on as it was way smaller then the open drum.
I hear people mention gaskets and silicone in use for sealing such cracks or voids and am just wondering if brethren could post pics of the actual product or products they used.
The only hi heat silicone i can find is automotive. is this the stuff i want or is their another variety.
any advice or suggestions appreciated
thanks
I had a gap between my drum and my weber extension ring for the rotisserie setup. I found a Big Green Egg replacement gasket which run about $20. It's a sticky back gasket that I just ran around the ring and it filled the gap perfectly.
BGBarracus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #9617
CDNQue
Found some matches.

Default Drum Question

Hi guys. I'nm new to the forum, am totally addicted to this thread, and I need a little help.

I've attached a photo of a drum that I can get. It has a shiny golden interior. Does this mean that it is unlined?

Sorry for the noob question.

Thank you kindly,

J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Drumpic.jpeg (10.7 KB, 820 views)
CDNQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #9618
dddouglas
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNQue View Post
Hi guys. I'nm new to the forum, am totally addicted to this thread, and I need a little help.

I've attached a photo of a drum that I can get. It has a shiny golden interior. Does this mean that it is unlined?

Sorry for the noob question.

Thank you kindly,

J.
Unless that drum is made of brass it has a liner. What kind I am not sure. You might scratch it to get a handle on its durablity. What size is the drum?
dddouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #9619
CDNQue
Found some matches.

Thank you for the reply!

The size is 210L (55 gallons). It's 35"x23"

J.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #9620
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Luckily, it looks like some sort of anti-rust coating and not the dreaded tan liner.

Should burn out easily.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #9621
CDNQue
Found some matches.

Thanks for the reply jgh1204! It is much appreciated.

If I don't find anything better in the next week, I'll take the plunge and get one of those.

Cheers.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #9622
barracudamuscle
Found some matches.

Hi everyone! So I made the plunge and have my basket made and burned out my drum and lid today. I think I may have messed up on the lid. I burned it with my weed burner leaned up against my barrel and now it's warped and doesn't want to sit on the lid easily.

Can I force it on the barrel and put the clamp on it then heat it all up to try and form it back or am I sol and need to get a new lid? Thanks, Pat
barracudamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #9623
CDNQue
Found some matches.

Hi guys! I found a new barrel source.

They sell new and re-conditioned unlined drums.

Now, two questions: should I get the thickest gauge? Also, does re-conditioned versus new matter?

Thanks,

J.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #9624
whitelightnin92
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudamuscle View Post
Hi everyone! So I made the plunge and have my basket made and burned out my drum and lid today. I think I may have messed up on the lid. I burned it with my weed burner leaned up against my barrel and now it's warped and doesn't want to sit on the lid easily.

Can I force it on the barrel and put the clamp on it then heat it all up to try and form it back or am I sol and need to get a new lid? Thanks, Pat
I did the same thing. I tried to flatten it back out with a torch while it wad sitting on the barrel. It got better but never sat right again. I upgraded to a dome lid and love the extra room.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #9625
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

^^^ What he said. Keep an eye out for a cheap donor weber kettle. You can use the lid, cooking grate, charcoal grate (for bottom of fire basket) and even use the wheels if you're creative.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #9626
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudamuscle View Post

No guarantees but it has worked for me a few times. Put the lid on the drum and secure it with the ring, and heat it with the weed torch when you get it screamin hot use a ball peen hammer and hit the ring all the way around then put a sopping wet towel in the middle and just leave it to cool all the way down. It will draw the metal to the center leaving the ring on until it cools will allow it to form to the top of the drum.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #9627
D-BE-QUEIN224
Got Wood.

Here's the newest addition!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339968051.856563.jpg
Spares w/ home made rub and glaze
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339968088.159268.jpg
D-BE-QUEIN224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #9628
barracudamuscle
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
No guarantees but it has worked for me a few times. Put the lid on the drum and secure it with the ring, and heat it with the weed torch when you get it screamin hot use a ball peen hammer and hit the ring all the way around then put a sopping wet towel in the middle and just leave it to cool all the way down. It will draw the metal to the center leaving the ring on until it cools will allow it to form to the top of the drum.
I'll give that a shot I appreciate the advice. Worse case I'll buy another barrel or better yet get the weber domed lid!
barracudamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #9629
coachmccoy543
Knows what a fatty is.

Default My first UDS completed

I finally finished reading everything and got all my parts and supplies lined up and with the help of my son in law we finished our first UDS. Only took about 6 hours over the course of this weekend. We tend to think quite a bit to make sure we don't screw up lol.

Seasoned it and then smoked a fatty, the first of many to come. It was amazing! I checked and I have over half of my charcoal left!!!
I had an offset smoker that we refurbished so smoking wasn't new to me, but after using the uds I sold my offset. The uds is so much easier to use.

For the build I purchased a new closed head drum. We removed the lid with a saws all. I had bought the cheap Uniflame from kettle from Wally world, but the lid didnt fit. So after cutting the lid we used some #14 1 3/8 flat stock from Lowes the kind with the holes and welded that on and the lid fit great with just a little adjustment. Added some red rtv to get a good seal (need to add some more due to our haste).

We have 3 3/4 pipe, nipples one with a cap and 2 with a 90 with 24" black pipe with ball valves on the end. The grates are 2" and 8" from the top of the drum. We added a thermo that I had from my Charbroil smoke n grill along with a 1/2 flex type fitting for the digital probes to pass thru. We used the hinges with some modifications due to the lip of the drum from the uniflame. Put 3 4" casters on the bottom for ease of use. Used the old handles from the smoke n grill. Charcoal basket is #9 3/4 expanded 13" dia by 10" tall. Just need to add some more rtv, sand and paint and she is finished.

Can't wait to put some ribs, brisket, butts, chicken, turkey, smoked sausage and anything elset that doesn't move fast on this baby!

Thanks for all the valuable information from this site!

Last edited by coachmccoy543; 10-07-2013 at 11:56 AM..
coachmccoy543 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #9630
inraged2002
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Well I finished my drum last Thursday. Well almost done, I still have to paint it . I just couldn't wait to use it. I cannot get over how efficient these things are. I loaded it with 2 bags of Best of the West mesquite and smoked a spare rib for 5.5 hours. I then smoked two pork shoulders for 15 hours with the remaining lump and about another half bag.I still have a couple logs left in my basket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-06-16 15.28.46.jpg (37.3 KB, 690 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-14 23.01.53.jpg (46.5 KB, 686 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-16 21.36.12.jpg (56.6 KB, 693 views)
inraged2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker