MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
MattCom
Take a breath!

Cooked bones, never.
Raw bones sure.
In a raw food diet for dogs, raw bones are an important part, but they stress only use non-weight baring bones.
This being a Que site, I'd try a dog-site (like Leerburg Kennels) for a more informed opinion.

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #17
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I wouldn't. After a trip to the vet and a nasty bill, I would not risk small bone slivers. I definitely would not feed them pigs ears.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

My Jack Russell/Rat terrier mix gets shoulder blades bones all the time. Loves 'em and never had an issue with them. He gnaws on them until they're gone, never pukes 'em up, no issues on the other end either.

The only problem is he likes to leave those porcine scapulas at the bottom of the steps into the garage. Laid me up for a week once when I stepped on the farking thing.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
When I started BBQing, I would give the blade bones and rib bones to a jack russell terrier. He would literally eat them like they were jerky. He has some strong jaws and teeth lol. The issue came a few hours later when he would get sick and puke up all the bone pieces. So I stopped feeding them to him. Just an occasional beef rib bone, and that wasn't very often. He would gnaw on a beef bone without "inhaling" it.

So I'd say it depends on the dog.
x2 My mutt would devour the bone in no time and then return it a little while later. Sorry Rocky, no bones for you.

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
Mixin
Got Wood.

You can never be too cautious with dogs - the vet bills are horrendous.

The only cooked bones I give my dog are osso bucco - she loves getting the marrow out of the middle - or the remnants of a roast lamb joint, but I have to watch her & take it away as soon as she's got the meat off, otherwise she will chomp them up into splinters.
Mixin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #21
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCom View Post
Cooked bones, never.
Raw bones sure.
In a raw food diet for dogs, raw bones are an important part, but they stress only use non-weight baring bones.
This being a Que site, I'd try a dog-site (like Leerburg Kennels) for a more informed opinion.
+1 It is never recommended to give dogs any kind of cooked bones, that includes smoked. Always raw, much less chance of splintering and causing internal damage.

OP, search for RAW/BARF diets for dogs.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #22
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thank you for all the replies everyone, they may have saved my friend a hefty vet bill. I told him to be on the safe side not to give it to the dog. Better safe than sorry.

I don't even have a dog but hopefully this thread will do some good to those who have the same question in the future.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote