MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #91
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogwadd View Post
I've got one to add. It's been a family favorite for some 30+ years. I've done this for holiday parties and never fail to get a callback. Mom's used the frito lay bean dip with jalepeno, but I tweaked it with bean dip.

Bean Dip
1.5 lbs hamburger
1 15 oz (or so) Jar of black bean dip
4.5 oz taco sauce/picante (your preference
1 can bean with bacon soup (Campbells)
1/4 cup brown sugar
(I've adjusted the following looking for the perfect amount of heat. If you go overboard, you can add more brown sugar)
1 tsp granulated garlic (powder or salt will do)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp each tabasco and chili powder to taste
salt to taste
add water as needed

I'm still tweaking the heat elements.

Serve heated with Frito Corn Chips.
So it's a can of Frito Lay bean dip, plus a jar of the black bean dip? Is the beef browned and added to the mix, or cooked with the seasoning below the brown sugar?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #92
rogwadd
On the road to being a farker

I'm sorry. The original had Frito Lay. I substituted black bean. Brown the beef first and drain fat. Then add the rest of the ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
So it's a can of Frito Lay bean dip, plus a jar of the black bean dip? Is the beef browned and added to the mix, or cooked with the seasoning below the brown sugar?
rogwadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #93
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

Stupidly simple, but I love olives (green or black, preferably both) stuffed with the canned "cheddar cheese" stuff. Been eating them since i was a kid.
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #94
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

I made Scott's BBQ Meatballs for a Christmas party last night. It made 56 balls. There were 20 people and they ate em all and begged for more. One guy took a roll and wiped the crotch pot clean. It got rave reviews as always. The only tweak I made to Scott's recipe was I added 2 Tblsps of Lea & Perin's Thick Burger Booster Worcestershire. I dont know why. But when I was at the mixing stage it just screamed out for Worcestershire. So I gave it to it. Awesome.

Thanks again, Scott. Thinking of you and your family here at Christmas time again.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #95
elvis67
Full Fledged Farker

Chex party mix ( My sis makes it with all differnt kinds of fancy crackers in it ) Homemade summer sausage and cheese balls with crackers. Stuff hard to stay away from.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #96
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Couple of mentions of chex mix.

Got a suggestion. Been doing this for about 15 years and this stuff can be ADDICTIVE.

Two major changes, works with any Chex Mix Recipe.

1. Smoke it. Drop the liquid smoke and instead do it in your smoker. Amazing what it does for the flavor. And who is doing their Chex Mix with Liquid Smoke :(

2. Hot sauce. Add some of your favorite hot sauce to the liquid you pour on the chex mix. It gives it a nice bite. Kevin mentioned he adds actual peppers, but I find they don't blend the flavor like using hot sauce.

3. OPTIONAL: We'll add Captain Crunch. Really. Gives us a little more sweet/heat kind of thing. I've actually use almost any kid cereal over the year but CC seems to hold up well.
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
A[B]uthor:[/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #97
Judi
Found some matches.

This is not purely a holiday recipe. We love it all the time, but it's really pretty around the holidays - especially if you use red and green jalapenos.

These candied jalapenos are great in lots of things. On burgers or other sandwiches, combined with other ingredients as a glaze or sauce, on a block of cream cheese and served with crackers. I love to add them to jam or jam and soy sauce and use as a sauce for meatballs.

I can them, but they certainly don't have to be; they keep in the fridge for a long time. This recipe will make about 5 or 6 cups. There will be leftover juice which can be used in a variety of ways too. I would credit it, but I don't know where I got it.

Here's the recipe:

Candied Jalapenos

3 pounds fresh, firm, jalapeno peppers, washed
2 cups cider vinegar
6 cups white granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or not!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Note:This recipe makes a lot of juice. Can it and use it for glazes,
Italian beef, etc., or pickle other veggies or use more pounds of
jalapenos. I've heard candied cauliflower and carrots are pretty good!

Remove the stems from all of the jalapeno peppers. Slice the peppers into uniform 1/8-1/4 inch rounds. I used the food processor to make quick work of it. I like them more towards the thicker slice -- about 1/4 inch. Set aside.

In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery
seed, granulated garlic, red pepper, and salt to a boil. Reduce heat
and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pepper slices and simmer for 4
minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers, loading into
clean jars to within 1/4 inch of the upper rim of the jar.

Turn heat up under the pot with the syrup and bring to a full rolling
boil. Boil hard for 6 minutes. Add syrup to the jars and either boiling water bath or refrigerate.
Judi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #98
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

Dang missed this thread ... now I'm hungry!

My snack mix: 1 can cashews, 1 can mixed nits, add butter and honey and mix well. Then your favorite BBQ rub. Then into the smoker and smoke until mixure is dry but not burndt.

and other fav: HOT JALAPENO CRAB DIP!

1 pound crabmeat
1 teaspoon garlic
½ cup chopped pickled jalapenos
¼ cup Monterrey Jack Cheese grated
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup mayonnaise
2oz Parmigiano-Reggianno cheese grated
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Setting the cheese a side .. combine the rest of the ingredients and gently mix.
Spoon mixture into a shallow baking dish.
Sprinkle cheese evenly on top of the crab mixture.
Bake until brown and bubbly, about 25 min. remove from oven and allow about 5 min. to cool before serving.
Serve with crackers or the small crouton breads.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #99
pkump
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Braunschweiger and cream cheese ball.

Oh holy cow, this sounds great. Going to have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

QUOTE=Kevin;211942]Ya gotta have a braunschweiger and cream cheese ball. I'll dig out the recipe and edit this post.

This is realy good with cocktails:
16 ounces liver sausage (Braunschweiger in Minnesota)
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
2/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing (don't use miracle whip, it's too tangy)
4 Tablespoons dill pickle relish (If'n you ain't got any chop up a dill pickle)
4 Tablespoons chopped onion, some scallions add to the mix if you got em.
1 teaspoon Worsy sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (a couple of cloves fresh minced is better)
fresh parsley, or cilantro -- chopped for garnish

Mix the first 7 ingredients up and refridgerate overnight in a bowl lined with plastic wrap.
When ready to serve just tip the bowl over on a platter and remove the plastic wrap and garnish with the greens.
Serve with crackers.[/QUOTE]
pkump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #100
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Bugels and french onion dip. About as simple as it gets, but its a memory from my grandmother's house who always had a spread, but sadly and admittidedly by her was anything but a cook .

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #101
brotherbd
On the road to being a farker

Judi I can appreciate the taste of those Candied Jalapenos, down here in Texas they are called Cowboy Candy.

I have a recipe for a little quicker version I'd like to share, simplicity itself.

1 2 qt. jar Pickled Jalapeno Slices
(I get mine from Sam's for about $2.50 a jar.)
4 lb sugar

Drain japs in a colander, then pet into a large glass or SS bowl.

Gently fold in sugar. ( I usually pour all the sugar on top then genlty fold)

Let sit about 30-60 min until some of the juice starts to come out and the mixture becomes moist enought to flow a little so it's easier to put back into the jar

Poure jap/sugar mix back into jar and leave 1/2" headroom. If you can't get it all back in put leftovers in a clean jar with tight fitting lid.

Then set on counter, out of direct sunlight (Read that can do strange things to some foods), and turn over every other day until liquid becomes crystal clear and japs have turned an translucent emerald green.

This takes at least 2 weeks and as much as 4.

I have never refrigerated mine and we have had some for over a year. I figure the bugs either hate the japs or all the sugar but I,ve never had any spoilage.

Like Judi said this is great over a block of Cream Cheese aka. Texas Fire Brick, and a slice on a deviled egg is heavenly. Chop up 2-4 Tablespoons and mix into a jar of melted apple jelly. Put it back in the original jar and turn over every 15 minutes until japs quit moving.

Save the juice, makes lots, and mix into your favorite BBQ sauce to give it a sweet/heat kick or use it to glaze ribs or chicken.

You can also can it like jelly in smaller jars and hot water bath process it and give it as gifts. Just fill all the jars and put them back into their box and turn them over all at once.
brotherbd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #102
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Where have these been all my life? A coworker told me about this and I laughed until I tried them. Stupid simple and really tasty. I googled the ingredients and it seems that I'm one of the few that hasn't had these.

Make a sandwich with peanut butter and two Ritz crackers. Coat this with melted almond bark. Let them cool on waxed paper and enjoy.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #103
tom from clayton
Found some matches.

This thread is killing me. So many fantastic recipes....so little time!!

Tom from Clayton
tom from clayton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #104
RAYSOR
Full Fledged Farker

bread, bread, bread so bad but so good!
RAYSOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #105
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Where have the Candied Japalenoes been all my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Made a small batch (28 oz)--gonna go BIG next time, for sure.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote