WSM BBQ Guru jacket

cant imagine how effecient it would run with that on. question would be, where does the exhast go? must be an opening

The point is that it will run more efficiently because it will be protected against wind and cold weather. There is an exhaust on the top and clearance for vents on the bottom.

Just wondering if anyone has used it before and likes it.

I think that it is a must when cooking with a WSM if you are looking for consistency. After having two of them, one for an 18" and one for the 22" I wouldn't cook without it. Ive cooked at 5F outside and it did wonderful. I even use it at comps when it is 100+F. It really helps keeps temps steady in the wind. With the Guru, the pit temp will hold dead on setpoint with the cover on. With the cover off it will move +-10F. You will burn less charcoal as well. Id bet it would pay for itself after ~20 overnight cooks.

Or, if you're trying to keep temps up on a cold winter day, fill the water pan with playground sand from Home Depot or Lowes. Then, put a layer of HD foil over the sand so you can reuse it.

I learned that years ago for my R2D2 and it works like a charm. Saved many a Thanksgiving Day turkey. Once up to temp, it remains very constant.

I tried the same blanket idea and it just never really worked as air flow was a problem. The sand solved all of the issues.

Just something for you to consider. Much cheaper, easier to deal with and simple.

I have one for each of the two size WSMs and use them regardless of the outdoor weather conditions. It helps save fuel on the 22", allowing me to use about 1/2 bag of Kingsford Blue from around 10 pm until well after 2 pm at 250 degrees using a Stoker. I do not use anything in the water pans. The covers do get dirty and sometimes there is a lot of moisture on the ground around the WSM from the condensation running down the sides of the cover.

I highly recommend them.

Benny

Thanks guys, I appreciate the pointers.

I haven't yet tried the sand because I cannot get over the idea of added moisture in my cooks (I know its 100% mental).

I am inclined to try to the GURU blanket, but the dang price is so expensive.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the pointers.

I haven't yet tried the sand because I cannot get over the idea of added moisture in my cooks (I know its 100% mental).

I am inclined to try to the GURU blanket, but the dang price is so expensive.

Well just remember, for all of us that use ceramics, (BGE, Primo, etc.) there isn't any water in them either. I prefer my BGE over my R2D2 even if I put water in the pan.

Just do a test smoke and see what happens.

What you put in the water pan is a whole different issue, but it is true that it takes more fuel to hold your temp when you've using water.
A clay flower pot base, ceramic briquettes, sand etc. will all help avoid that energy loss and your meat won't get dry without water.
There is a ton of discussion on that issue, do a search for more info.

As for insulation, if you're a frequent smoker, the fuel savings from insulating the cooker can add up over time.
For a cheap test, you could try wrapping a welding blanket around the cooker to get a sense of the effect of insulation.
Or if you've got the 18.5 you might also use a lidless 55gal drum as a close-fitting surround.

I have one for each of the two size WSMs and use them regardless of the outdoor weather conditions. It helps save fuel on the 22", allowing me to use about 1/2 bag of Kingsford Blue from around 10 pm until well after 2 pm at 250 degrees using a Stoker. I do not use anything in the water pans. The covers do get dirty and sometimes there is a lot of moisture on the ground around the WSM from the condensation running down the sides of the cover.

I highly recommend them.

Benny

What, no water heater insulation!? :becky:

I sure like to hear about the reduced charcoal usage. Seems to me that it wouldn't take all that many cooks for the "jackets" to pay for themselves.

I sure like to hear about the reduced charcoal usage. Seems to me that it wouldn't take all that many cooks for the "jackets" to pay for themselves.

Well since the jackets are $125 EACH plus shipping I would say it would take a LONG TIME to break-even on that investment. I would like to try one but in Texas I have never had an issue keeping my stoker up to temp or consistent unless I am trying to stay over 300 degrees or its windy out.

I still say you buy it and confirm that its cool but not worth the $125 spent. Actually $125 is dangerously close to a ique110 automatic temp controller or one of the cheapest bbqguru products. I think I would rather have one of those but you cant consider me a nerd if you wish.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, ditch the water in the pan:p! I have and I regret not doing so earlier lol Seriously though, I just crumpled up enough foil balls to almost fill the water pan with them and then topped the waterpan with a layer or two of foil. It works great considering the $2.33 I spent on overpriced foil at the time :thumb:

I would have to add that I have always used mine with a Guru Pit Fan. I dont know if there would be any issues with airflow without the cover but with the pit fan it works great.
Also, just so its known, you will get condensation on the outside of your WSM and it will get dirty. It cleans off relatively easy though.

I failed with the water heater insulation on the 22". It was a little windy and insulation stuck to the smoker and started to burn. Now my WSM has insulation still sticking to the outside. That's when I bought the covers from BBQ Guru.

Benny

We just ordered this.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...P_PARENT_ID&storeId=10051&Ntpr=1&ddkey=Search

At 4 ft tall it's plenty high to bungy cord a length of about 65 inches around the 18in WSM and then at the top either leave open (if there's no rain) or pinch and clamp together and run some dryer venting from the top vent out one of the pinched and clamped corners. No pics, but I'll try and add some soon. Basically the same thing. HD doesn't have it shorter than 25 ft, for 1 pit you'd only need the 10foot length, which is like $15 on the internets. Just make sure you are getting the double reflectix, not the single.

That's what I bought. It burned when it touched the bottom of the smoker and melted onto the sides. It did work on prior occasions but it only takes once to mess things up.
If you do end up using it, try buying some velcro tape to keep it together instead of the bungie cord.
Benny

For me, it seems like a better idea to just buy the BBQ GURU item than risk making a mess of my WSM with the home depot stuff. I was considering making a cabinet for the WSM and lining it with foam insulation or a water heater blanket.

I purchaed that silicon jacket from guru last year, used it one time and went to take it off and the top handle came off. It seems that the stitching used to fasten it to the top of the jacket pokes too many holes and when you let it sit and get hot and wet that when you grab the handle it pulls right off. I sent it back and they promptly replaced it and just last week I used the new one for the first time when it was 32 degrees out. It sat on the WSM all night and in the morning when I went to take it off by lifting the handle, the handle once again came off.

I use a welding blanket from Harbor Freight (~$25) on my UDS. Just wrapped around the sides and held on with bungie cords. Nothing on top - if it were easy I would do that, because it seems like that would make a huge difference too. I can testify that it reduced my charcoal usage in about 1/2 during a recent overnight cooks (~35* to 25* outside).

I don't know if the BBQ Guru blanket is worth $125. Maybe? But, I certainty believe that some type of insulation is well worth it in cold weather and has benefits in hot. I like my welding blanket better than water heater insulation because I'm not worried about it getting wet.

Back