Homemade Tortillas and I am missing something

I can't stand corn tortillas, but...We make flour tortillas and have problems with consistency ALL the time..We use NO oil in the pan though...

I also make sopapillas and these NEED to puff..I'm guessing your tortillas are too thick??

I cook mine at 450 on a dry comal like my ma did. You really need a tort press for maize torts to get the thickness right

Wrong corn flour. The corn flour used for tortillas is not the same as that used for tortillas. There is a difference in the processing. A tortilla press is also useful, although for a small number, I use a cast iron skillet to great effect.

All is not lost, Masa para tamale makes great tamales, and with access to the spices and such you have in France, some great Yucatecan and Guatemalan tamales are within reach. You need Masa para preparada Tortilla for these. It is coarser, and flatter, so it won't puff, it gives the tortilla the proper texture.

For chips, I prefer the tamale masa, as I like puffy chips. And frying in lard is pretty much the best for tortilla chips.

Also this just occurred to me as well: If you're used to eating corn tortillas like Mission brand then you might actually be missing sugar. I believe that Mission adds dextrose to their mix; so not only are you getting the sugars from the corn itself, but you're getting some added sugar in there as well.

Every damn thing in this day and age has sugar in it if it doesn't have M.S.G. it seems. Sometimes it's both.

That is why the ones I bought here sucked! They were sweet, I am going to up the salt content and try again. I am not frying them in oil but I did wipe my cast iron skillet with olive oil. Next time more heat!

You live in the shire? Say hi to Bilbo!

:becky:

Will do, I didn't know he was here!

I can't stand corn tortillas, but...We make flour tortillas and have problems with consistency ALL the time..We use NO oil in the pan though...

I also make sopapillas and these NEED to puff..I'm guessing your tortillas are too thick??

They were mixed I did experiment with thickness

I cook mine at 450 on a dry comal like my ma did. You really need a tort press for maize torts to get the thickness right

Amazon.fr here I come

Wrong corn flour. The corn flour used for tortillas is not the same as that used for tortillas. There is a difference in the processing. A tortilla press is also useful, although for a small number, I use a cast iron skillet to great effect.
Wrong corn flour. The corn flour used for tortillas is not the same as that used for tortillas. what does that mean, now I am scared!

My cast iron skillet is not totally flat on the bottom. I used on of my sauce pans to press and then a rolling pin, tried different thicknesses as well.

Masa para tamale is a fine corn flour, it also gets treated differently during the soaking process. Even the shape of the grains vary from the masa para preparada de tortilla. You can make tortillas with what you have, but, the texture and flavor will be different. Blander and fluffy.

Sonoran tortillas use masa para tamale, they are thicker than most. Up the salt content, shorten the dough with a tiny amount if lard. Like 1 tablespoon per pound. Dry toast on a comal. They are delicious

Sonoran tortillas use masa para tamale, they are thicker than most. Up the salt content, shorten the dough with a tiny amount if lard. Like 1 tablespoon per pound. Dry toast on a comal. They are delicious
That's what I am thinking Bob, I am going to mix in some duck fat and up the salt. I tried the first batch in the cast iron skillet and just wiped the the bottom with a paper towel soaked in olive oil. They didn't brown enough to my liking and perhaps it was because the skillet wasn't hot enough. The whole exercise is a learning experience and I can only use what's available to me. But there is plenty for me to work with. :becky:

Cooked mine in the cast iron skillet at 300° not hot enough? Too hot? Oiled pan with olive oil.

would not have used olive oil if it were me. Canola or veg oil has higher smoke point than olive oil. Be able to get oil hotter to cook.

Here is a great reference for oil smoke points. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point
Palta or avocado looks to be the highest to me. I have used this in Chile and it is a fine cooking oil for sure. Refined extra virgin Olive oil has a much higher smoke point than what you would think. 405° is not bad. I was no where near that hot, time to, as Emiril says, "kick it up a notch"

Thanks ya'll for all the replies. My quest continues tomorrow on Easter Monday!

Back