MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
Kenn007BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Default Bay area brisket price=$100+

How much do you spend on brisket whole?
I have been sticking to the smart and final $2.30 but every time I walk into a local Butcher they want 6.99 or more for their brisket..... At 14# that is a hundred dollars! :broke:
What do you all think?

Old 09-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Somebody has to pay to unwrap the cyro remove every morsel of fat and cut it in to 2-3 lb chunks. prices here average 1.77 -2.18 lb. Here's the straight skinny "DON'T PAY SOMEONE ELSE PLAY WITH YOUR MEAT HANDLE IT YOURSELF YOU KNOW HOW YOU LIKE IT"

Old 09-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Down here the most I pay from my local butcher is 4.99/lb and he brings in the best cuts from a farm.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Somebody has to pay to unwrap the cyro remove every morsel of fat and cut it in to 2-3 lb chunks. prices here average 1.77 -2.18 lb. Here's the straight skinny "DON'T PAY SOMEONE ELSE PLAY WITH YOUR MEAT HANDLE IT YOURSELF YOU KNOW HOW YOU LIKE IT"
+1, and Amen!
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

You need to search more. Wal Mart has choice Brisket packers here every day of the week for $1.99 a pound, and sometimes a sale here and there where it drops even lower. SHOP AROUND, and you will find lower prices. I am in Texas, but I'm positive you can find the deals up there in Liberal land.
And not to rub it in, but I can get whole Prime packers here for $3.19 a pound, so I do not know why it is so expensive where you are. Harris ranch is one of the largest beef producers in California and the west, and they are only a few hours from you. So it is not a supply problem. It doesn't seem right
Big Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
KaiserKrebs
Got Wood.

+2 Unfortunately, the business is so profit driven these days, that this is the reason why you see less availability of certain c.o.v. Product, ie Packer brisket, in many areas because you can and will be charged more for anything that has had the fire trimmed out of it. Same with c.o.v. Flats... Meat counter dude just prices them and dumps them in the counter.
KaiserKrebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Down here the most I pay from my local butcher is 4.99/lb and he brings in the best cuts from a farm.
I live in L.A.
Care to share who your butcher is?

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
landarc

I buy from Cash and Carry, in Oakland, and I don't know why I am telling you this.

I paid $2.99 for the Choice Angus brisket I cooked last weekend. It gets as low as $2.19 for Select grade packers there. I have had many great cooks with the briskets and ribs from there.

Again, I don't really think I should have shared this info. If I go there and the meat is picked over, I know who to look at.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Kenn007BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
You need to search more. Wal Mart has choice Brisket packers here every day of the week for $1.99 a pound, and sometimes a sale here and there where it drops even lower. SHOP AROUND, and you will find lower prices. I am in Texas, but I'm positive you can find the deals up there in Liberal land.
And not to rub it in, but I can get whole Prime packers here for $3.19 a pound, so I do not know why it is so expensive where you are. Harris ranch is one of the largest beef producers in California and the west, and they are only a few hours from you. So it is not a supply problem. It doesn't seem right
Yeah up here in way too liberalland, the Walmart don't carry brisket. (or at least I never seen them here.) the problem is that I don't think I people even know what a brisket is up here. I didn't know before I became a brethren.

One time I made burnt ends for a large church Picnic and nobody knew what a burnt end was. At first they were like, eewww I don't want no burnt food, then they saw it, tried it, and kept calling them beef tips

I'm trying to educate them yall!

Old 09-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
16Adams

Default Left Coast

Blame everything on your predecessor. It's Bush's fault.

On the other hand W lives in Texas. Plenty of briskets to be had at 1.99
HEB, WalMart,Albertsons, etc etc etc

And thank you for teaching the locals out there what's good in the world.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn007BBQ View Post
Yeah up here in way too liberalland, the Walmart don't carry brisket. (or at least I never seen them here.) the problem is that I don't think I people even know what a brisket is up here. I didn't know before I became a brethren.

One time I made burnt ends for a large church Picnic and nobody knew what a burnt end was. At first they were like, eewww I don't want no burnt food, then they saw it, tried it, and kept calling them beef tips

In Texas, most people haven't heard of a Tri Tip, but I understand it's a staple in California.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfinger View Post
I live in L.A.
Care to share who your butcher is?
Not at all. I'm in the Foothills in Crescenta Valley. The place is called Harmony Farms on Foothill Blvd in La Crescenta. They've got anything you want from gators to frogs and in between.

http://harmonyfarmsonline.com/
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 09-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
landarc

They are beef tips, and don't be so quick to condemn your new home. I learned to BBQ from a man who was born in Southern Oklahoma and learned to cook in Texas. Most of Richmond and East Oakland is folks from down Texas, Oklahoma or Louisiana way, and many of them are very fine cooks.

Every Sunday morning, I walk out the front door to the smell of hickory and caramelized pork wafting in from East Oakland. Don't go to Walmart. Unless you want something really fancy, you can always find packers at Smart and Final, as well as Cash and Carry. You don't need better meat than what you can get from those two places.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn007BBQ View Post

You're right! Not many walmarts down here or at least around L.A. and they don't carry briskets at all.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 09-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
but what if paying someone else to play with your meat is what you like