MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Request for some kind of stew recipe...

Howdy Brethren.

I want to make some stew... but I don't know what kind

I searched the forum and found a few Brunswick stew recipes that looked really good, but I don't know if that's what i'm really looking for. I like beef stroganoff, but sadly would not know a good Brunswick stew if it came up and slapped me in the face. ideally I want something with the heartiness of beef stroganoff but the zip of chili.

Trying to make some space in the freezer so I think I have a couple of ribeyes , a cooked brisket flat, some kind(s) of sausage, and 2 veal chops to play with. BBQ weapons are a 6qt DO on the LBGE or a 4qt DO on the SBGE. I wouldn't mind making the smaller recipe, since its just the 2 of us.

Can y'all help a brother out? Thanks!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

You can't go wrong with Brunswick stew. I've made this version several times and everyone is blown away by it. It is very thick and hearty as shown. You're choice of rub and sauce will affect the spicey level. I like rubs and sauces that are "sweet and tangy". I've used mixtures of whatever was in the fridge that I wanted to get rid of, including: Blues Hog, Stubbs Original, Famous Dave Sweet and Tangy, and Big Butz Cranberry. Serious, give this a try!

Saiko's Georgia Brunswick Stew (w/ few of my tweaks)

Ingredients:

1 lb. chopped BBQ meat (Any Combination of leftover pork, beef, rib tips, chicken. 1/2 Pork + 1/2 Brisket Point is good)
1 TBSP of your favorite BBQ rub (I used Plowboy Yardbird. If no rub on hand, try Lawrey's Seasoning Salt.)
2 to 3 14 oz cans diced tomatoes, including the juice (or 2 cans of diced and a small can of tomato sauce)
1 11oz cans drained sweet corn
1 11 oz can of drained butter beans (optional)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup your favorite BBQ sauce (I'm using Blue's Hog)
1/8 cup cider vinegar
1 to 1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt (To taste, depending on salt in BBQ Rub.)
1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp hot sauce (Tobasco)
1/2 stick butter (say no to margarine)

Add all the ingredients except the butter to a large crockpot. Mix well, then throw the butter on top. Run on high heat until the butter is melted (1/2 hour to hour), then mix everything again and turn it down to low until time to serve. 4 to 6 hours recommended.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not a stew but you could make an mighty fine Bolognese sauce using a combination of the meat you have available then use it in lasagna.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Not a stew but you could make an mighty fine Bolognese sauce using a combination of the meat you have available then use it in lasagna.
Excellent idea. i might actually save the brisket flat for something like that.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote