Sauce for Pull Pork

Lexington Dip

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 Tbs Dark brown sugar
1 tsp black pepper (use finely ground or pre ground of you are using in a condiment bottle)
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp cayenne (optional)
1/2 cup water if you like it thin
1 tsp crushed red pepper or 1/2 tsp ground red pepper if you are using a condiment bottle(optional)

bring to simmer on the stove and its good to go!

My favorite! kind of a NC piedmont blend of tomato based from the west and vinegar and pepper from the east

Mike

I love this one.

Big Bob Gibson's
MEMPHIS-STYLE CHAMPIONSHIP RED SAUCE
Makes 4 cups

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups ketchup
1 cup water
3/4 cup vinegar
3/4 cup tomato paste
3/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup corn sugar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
4 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons molasses
4 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon apple sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (I used a little more)
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon celery seed
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin

Directions:
Combine all of the ingredients in a sauce pan and blend well. Bring it to a boil and then reduce to a simmer over a medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Allow the sauce to cool. It stores in a tightly sealed container for 2 weeks in a refrigerator.

This is my go-to sauce hands down. I do add a few extra things to make it my own ;)

Being a conflicted Tarheel (born in East NC and lived mainly in West NC and Charlotte), I thoroughly enjoy both Eastern-style Sauce and Lexington-style Sauce.

We started with this:
1 cup Distilled White Vinegar
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp Tabasco Sauce
1 tsp salt (I used Kosher)
1 tsp ground black pepper

It doesn't mention heating in a pan or anything, but I wanted to combine the flavors before bottling. This was pretty tasty, but it really wasn't either an E NC or a Lexington sauce.

I added:

1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbsp Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce

This gave it a really nice smokey flavor and brought it closer to Lexington, flavor-wise.

I'm going to have to try the sauce noted above by Tarheelsmoker...

Kind regards,
SD

I have been adding sweet chili sauce to whatever BBQ sauce I have around.

A surprisingly good one for emergencies is: 2 Parts Sweet Baby Ray Original, 1 part cider vinegar and 1 part Maple Syrup.

Used this one last night quick easy and good - I like a little more bite so I did 2 cup vin 1 ray 1 maple little red and black pepper and call it good.

Matt

23 ingredients in a sauce? Don't let Homeland Security hear about it. KISS. :crazy:

Back