MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #46
Juggy D Beerman
Full Fledged Farker

How does that sound? It still sounds DANGEROUS. Yes I know my opinion is not the popular one and I am not giving you the answer you want to hear. Let me tell you why I am so adamant about this subject.......

Years ago, one of my best friends, a professional welder was given a tank to cut open to make a bbq grill. The 55 gallon barrel had been used to store an industrial solvent. The man who brought in the tank had assured Gregg that the barrel had been cleansed and purged and was ready to be cut. Gregg took the man at his word because the man had brought tanks in before for the same process. The tank blew up on Gregg taking half off his face and one of his eyes. It didn't kill him right away, but several years later he died from complications from plastic surgery done to help correct the holes that were still inside his mouth. After the accident, Gregg had at least twenty sessions of corrective plastic surgery on various areas of his face. This is why I try to warn inexperienced people not to try this at home.

I am not trying to persuade you from using the tank for your cooker. I have made my own cooker from a 275 gallon fuel oil tank. I am an experienced welder and I know what I am doing, but I had someone else cut that tank open for me.

One of the problems with using a used tank for a cooker is the tank's history. Do you know for a fact that the tank was used for was storing diesel? Just because it smells like diesel on the inside does not assure that that is all that is inside it. There could be other volatile substances in there as well.

I still do not understand what the dish soap is supposed to do as to removing ALL the residue inside the tank. I see that advice given all the time, but I see a lot of old wives tales given on how to "safely" cut open used tanks. One question I am going to ask you is where do you plan on depositing all this water? Five hundred gallons is a LOT of water!! By all rights, once the water enters that tank and mixes with whatever enters the tank, it becomes a hazardous substance. Are you going to let it drain in your yard and pollute the ground water or do you plan on letting it go into the sewer system? These gases could collect in the drainage pipes or sewer and ignite or explode. Either way you are not doing your neighbors any favors and you could be breaking the law.

Using a grinder could be considered safer than using a torch as the only gases introduced inside the tank are from the atmosphere. But the chance for explosion, although reduced, could still exist. Diesel has a flash point between 126º and 205°F and that flash point could be lower if other flammable residues exist.

You just need to ask yourself if taking this chance is really worth it. These people who are trying to "help" you by telling you methods that "work" are doing you no favors. Although that method may have worked once or twice before, it may not work 100% of the time.

I am sorry if I am peeing on your bbq fire. As I stated earlier, the money spent to have a professional do this part of the building process is well spent. It will probably be cheaper than a hospital bill that could occur too.

Good luck with your project.

Juggy
Juggy D Beerman is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #47
thebbqkid
On the road to being a farker

Go into your bathroom and look at the tag on cord on the blow dryer. Water and electricity don't mix but if you still going to do this wear non conductive rubber boots and thick rubber gloves untill the waters drained. just be carefull we want to see build pics

Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #48
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

what type of person puts their caulking gun next to their vice grips and rivet dikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
No way would i use such thin steel for a firebox. Mine is 1/4" thick with firebicks on the bottom. Those tanks are only about 1/8" which is about as thin as i'd go for a cooking chamber. If you used it for a firebox that metal would warp like crazy. The chimney does come out the side and it's removable so when i trailer it somewhere, i pull the stack out, toss it in the bed of my truck and off i go. I need to get a newer pic since i've had some minor changes over the years.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #49
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
what type of person puts their caulking gun next to their vice grips and rivet dikes
Hey, you gotta problem where i keep my caulking gun??
Zak is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #50
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you Juggy for all of your knowledge, it is greatly appreciated! I do know the tanks history, it's 7 years old. Only stored Diesel for 2, and has sat practically empty for 5 open to the elements. I will contact a professional Welder, and see what the cost is. Def. will post pics of the build!
JandJbuidasmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #51
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Just saw an impressive 550 tank from Marwendholt! If you get a chance, check it out! Hopefully mine will turn out half as good as his!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #52
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetang View Post
!/3 the size of the smoker.
Check this calculator out:
http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html
Show some pics of the build, we loves that stuff!
That is cool!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #53
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Very! After speaking to Juggy, and DownHomeQue, I've gotten alot of info for my build. Hopefully starts tomorrow!

Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #54
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Who knew 1/4 inch steel was so darn expensive!!! Geeze! 35X35X35 6 plates for firebox. Any suggestions on making it cheaper?

Old 02-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #55
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandJbuidasmoker View Post
Who knew 1/4 inch steel was so darn expensive!!! Geeze! 35X35X35 6 plates for firebox. Any suggestions on making it cheaper?
If you can get drops, instead of them cutting you a piece out, will be cheaper. Also check the scrap yard out. I've gotten plate there for cheap.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #56
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Bluetang, I think I live in a scrap free zone! lol I've called several places....will stay at it! What are drops?? Leftovers?

Old 02-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #57
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

yuup.. i think your best bet is going to be getting the whole sheets

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #58
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

They're wanting like 350 smackers!!! I'm gonna have to visit the blood bank! lol

Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #59
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandJbuidasmoker View Post
Bluetang, I think I live in a scrap free zone! lol I've called several places....will stay at it! What are drops?? Leftovers?
Yep, left over pieces from previous custom cuts. You are building a big arse smoker, might be prudent to go the whole sheet route like DownHomeQue suggested. Welcome to the addiction!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #60
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I'm starting to figure that out Bluetang! Very addicted and haven't even started cutting yet! lol