MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
bo_b_q
On the road to being a farker

Default Some ribs, a fatty, and a pork loin walk into a smoker...

I finally got some time to fire up the UDS the other day so I raided the freezer to see what I could find. I came back with two racks of ribs, some breakfast sausage, and a pork loin. After a quick run to the store I had a kielbasa as well. It was a very porky day!

Wife doesn’t eat ribs and always eats too much of the fatty so I got the fire goin’ when it was about 12* out with plans to make the fatty for MY breakfast and the ribs for lunch. The kielbasa-stuffed pork loin was for dinner since my wife would actually eat that. Here it is...

Cut the slabs into pieces to try some different rubs. (Used SM Sweet Seduction, SM Sweet & Spicy, Famous Dave’s Rib Rub, A-1 Rub, and some of my own blend, which is pretty high in sugar for a sweeter taste) The Famous Dave’s and A-1 were gifts from Christmas. The Famous Dave’s ended up being OK…Simply Marvelous products blew it away though. A-1 was just an experiment that failed. Although it isn’t bad on steaks. Rub I made was pretty good too.

Fatty was rubbed in Sweet Seduction and on the smoker for about 2 hours. I usually foil my fatties for a hour or so after they come off, but it makes the little crust/bark that forms fade away…plus I was hungry…so I sliced into this baby. I just ate it straight and it was great. Little bit drier than normal but still excellent…rub was a good match. Nothing beats a good ole’ nekkid fatty

My ribs are a work in progress. They don’t look the best but they tasted good! Wife’s friend came over last night and said they were good. She ended up finishing them off…of course that was after a few glasses of Franzia, so I don’t know how accurate her opinion was.

Finally…the stuffed pork loin. Got this from the Myron Mixon cookbook and someone else posted their version here recently as well. I found the loin in the bottom of the freezer. Was wide enough I was able to make it a double barrel. Rubbed with some SM Sweet & Spicy…brought UDS up to about 300-325 and cooked until it was done. Didn’t pain attention to time but it was somewhere in the 2 hour range I wanna say. It was fantastic! I cooked this after everything else so there wasn’t a ton of smoke on it, but it still came out very tender, juicy, and flavorful.
The pictures I got of it whole came out bad. So all I have is two side shots…sorry.

Overall it was a successful cook and I’m getting better each time. UDS is
working well…but mine is different because it has stainless side tables. It’s not the masterpieces most of you make, but thanks for looking!

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Mason Dixon Bowhunta
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice , looks like one heck of a feast.
[I]Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created[/I] ~ Esther 4:14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not the only one to use toothpicks to ID ribs in the smoker, huh? ;) But I break the picks in half and stick them in between and parallel to the bones.

I also tried one 'control' that had no rub save some peanut oil just to see what the actual contributions of the various rubs are. I was surprised by how good that was.
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Nice pr0n!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Very Nice
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Everything looks great, nice pics too!

I think you have what it takes >>> http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=31

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

That stuffed pork loin looks awesome. I need to try that.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Looks good!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
bo_b_q
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
I'm not the only one to use toothpicks to ID ribs in the smoker, huh? ;) But I break the picks in half and stick them in between and parallel to the bones.

I also tried one 'control' that had no rub save some peanut oil just to see what the actual contributions of the various rubs are. I was surprised by how good that was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
The wifeys wine glass charms were laying on the counter when I was prepping the ribs...I thought I need some rib charms...mine aren't as fancy as hers but they are effective.
I like the control rack..don't think I've ever had a rib straight up plain...I'll give that a try next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Everything looks great, nice pics too!

I think you have what it takes >>> http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=31
I'm all for saving the Nekkid Fatty. I digress I have stuffed and covered before, but the ratio of stuffing to sausage was never right, so now I typically just keep it simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahog2002 View Post
That stuffed pork loin looks awesome. I need to try that.
It's super easy and can be used as your entree or sliced thin as an appetizer. It's good warm but also very good cold.

Tags
nekkid fatty, ribs, stuffed pork loin