Saturday Smoked Salmon

Mdboatbum

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Started last night with 2 12oz salmon filets. Dry brined maybe 18-20 hours in a simple salt/sugar rub with pepper added. Let dry in front of a fan until a pellicle formed, then smoked at 200˚ until the IT hot 150˚.
Turned out pretty well. Next time I'll try pink salt and do a post brine soak to make it a little less salty.

252346_4331779686828_1680490562_n.jpg

556951_4331780086838_1792119642_n.jpg

549617_4331779846832_935547677_n.jpg

522628_4331780486848_1139189798_n.jpg

429491_4331781646877_653645165_n.jpg

537615_4331781286868_782338625_n.jpg

Yup, pretty sure I could eat that into nonexistence! Looks great! What was your ratio? Raw or brown sugar? How long would you post soak? I have some salmon thawing right now I'd like to smoke. I used to smoke alot of salmon when I was younger but I was a drunkard kid hack at the ECB!

It was 1 part dark brown, 1 part white, 2 parts kosher salt. With each part being a quarter cup, I added 1TB black pepper. I think a 60-90 minute soak would get rid of a lot of the saltiness.

Yup, pretty sure I could eat that into nonexistence! Looks great! What was your ratio? Raw or brown sugar? How long would you post soak? I have some salmon thawing right now I'd like to smoke. I used to smoke alot of salmon when I was younger but I was a drunkard kid hack at the ECB!

Check put Gore's Thread on smoked Salmon
I could do some serious damage to that Looks excellent

Looks awesome! LOVE smoked salmon.

I've tried a few different recipes at salmon, but HERE is my all time favorite.

Started last night with 2 12oz salmon filets. Dry brined maybe 18-20 hours in a simple salt/sugar rub with pepper added. Let dry in front of a fan until a pellicle formed, then smoked at 200˚ until the IT hot 150˚.
Turned out pretty well. Next time I'll try pink salt and do a post brine soak to make it a little less salty.

I dry brine all my salmon (flesh side down on plastic wrap, and sealed). Depending on the salt factor folks prefer (and the fillet thickness) my cure times range from 6 hours to 15 hours. Then I rinse and let it sit overnight in the fridge to equalize. After smoking I refrigerate again for 12 hours before eating or giving away. This makes slicing easier and softens the surface slightly.

Saltiness could be as simple as your ratio, try 2 parts sugar to one part salt, plus seasonings. I don't recommend pink salt if your pit temps are 190°-200°. Saltiness can also be from not rinsing enough, even a rinse then 15 minutes in a bucket of water will make a difference. Lastly, a long rest allows the salt, (which is in a higher concentration near the surface) to equalize within the flesh. The equalization is an important step because once your tongue tastes salt, it convinces your brain that all of the fillet is too salty. Another thing I do following smoking is to give my fillets a very light shine coat with olive oil.

I think your pit temps are good, and the 150° internal is what I use for myself as I like a moist product. Folks that like theirs a little drier, I'll take to 170°. Here is a fillet smoked to 150°.

DSC00308cr.jpg

thats da kine. Maybe a quick "reverse sear" will do the trick on a cold smoke too.

I don't recommend pink salt if your pit temps are 190°-200°.

I was thinking of cold smoking if I used pink salt. Maybe 4 hrs. Thanks for all the tips on the ratios and letting everything equalize. I'm definitely trying this one again!!

I was thinking of cold smoking if I used pink salt. Maybe 4 hrs. Thanks for all the tips on the ratios and letting everything equalize. I'm definitely trying this one again!!

Yes, some pink salt is an option if you are going to do a combination of cold smoking and drying. We can nail down the ratio.... but I believe it is 2t to 1T of pink salt per cup of salt, then there is sugar, spices etc., added too.

A second option is Gravlax which is cured without using pink salt, and is not smoked. It has some aromatics and often fennel or dill tops are layered in during the curing.

A third option is Nova lox. It is cured and cold smoked. There are several recipes and I just published my latest revision of this classic cold smoked salmon. I don't use pink salt in this one, but I do a double cure (dry and wet). I tell you what, I'll start a separate Nova lox thread.... the timing might be good for the holidays anyway. Here is some of my Nova lox next to some cured and hot smoked salmon.

DSC02879aacc.jpg

Back