How LONG before removing Point for B. ENDS??

TELL YOU WHAT BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok...brisket probes like buttah'...lift that B... carry to prep table... FOIL IS OPEN.

NOW...my question is, "HOW LONG do I rest brisket before separating POINT from flat?"

Do you put in CAMBRO for XXX time before prepping burnt ends? Or, remove point and put FLAT in CAMBRO?

I can't figure out should I 'rest' entire brisky before I remove POINT for B. Ends??

Last cook..I removed the point right out of heat and she was a "squirter"!!! :caked: Felt like we lost a LOT of moist goodness.

(Backwoods Party - Temp 270 -- 'Burchered' brisky in at 230 am -- foiled fat side up after 4.5 hours -- probed at 1030amish - CAMBRO --flat back on at noon:30 with a bit more rub)

Cass

As soon as the flat is done, seperate the 2, wrap the flat, reseason the cut side and Cambro. Trim the point, season it and toss back on the pit until done.

Not disagreeing with Jeff at all, but for us, we have a certain time we want to cook our BEs. So, the flat/point may or may not rest much. If the flat is done early, then we pull the packer and hold it until it's time to seperate, cube and put the BE's on the smoker. If the flat is more stubborn, we may take it off, seperate and then cube immediately. We've even had to pull the brisket off, seperate and cube BEs and put BOTH flat and BEs back on to finish. Bottom line, we know when we want to prep and start our BEs. THAT time never changes in our timeline. Everything else can and likely will change, based on when the flat is ready to come off.

Not disagreeing with Jeff at all, but for us, we have a certain time we want to cook our BEs. So, the flat/point may or may not rest much. If the flat is done early, then we pull the packer and hold it until it's time to seperate, cube and put the BE's on the smoker. If the flat is more stubborn, we may take it off, seperate and then cube immediately. We've even had to pull the brisket off, seperate and cube BEs and put BOTH flat and BEs back on to finish. Bottom line, we know when we want to prep and start our BEs. THAT time never changes in our timeline. Everything else can and likely will change, based on when the flat is ready to come off.

This for me too.

I never seperate, I don't see any reason. All the flavorfull ends are exposed during the entire cooking process. This is all in the way you trim.

Wampus - You are correct sir. What I didn't say was that i leave my BE's on for 1 Hour after the flat is done, and, based on the way I trim them, they generally turn out. I cube and sauce mine at turn ins so i have 2 sides seasoned and 4 sides cut. My flat is typically done in about a 1 hour window. The BE's just get 1 more.

So this thread has me wondering. I've been first in brisket with NO burnt ends. I've been first with burnt ends that were simply cubed point and never sent back to the pit. I've been first with ends that were done the way I described. I've seperated prior to cook, after cook, and partialy for the cook.

Anybody else as confused as I am...?

No reason to rest. You aren't cutting into the meet itself.

You're separating two muscle groups with fat between them.

When I was separating after the flat was done, I rested maybe 5 minutes because it was freaking HOT and I'd have to find my gloves.

So this thread has me wondering. I've been first in brisket with NO burnt ends. I've been first with burnt ends that were simply cubed point and never sent back to the pit. I've been first with ends that were done the way I described. I've seperated prior to cook, after cook, and partialy for the cook.

Anybody else as confused as I am...?

Just sounds to me like you know your brisket. :clap: and yes you confused me...lol

we seperate our point out @ 12:30 right after rib turn in and before we start making our pork box. cube point add more rub and a bit of brown sugar a spritz of juice, then foil and back in the smoker until turn in. we never add sauce

we seperate our point out @ 12:30 right after rib turn in and before we start making our pork box. cube point add more rub and a bit of brown sugar a spritz of juice, then foil and back in the smoker until turn in. we never add sauce

Brown sugar you say...Might have to try this out in Mesquite in a couple weeks...

Back