• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Questions for KCBS BOD Candidates

YankeeBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm Starting a new thread because I don't particularly like the title of the most active thread on this subject.

Hi Leatherhead (and all the other candidates),

I am a one issue voter. Last year, the membership voted overwhelmingly for KCBS to look into regional BOD members. I have avoided reading all the other BOD threads to wait for the offical statements in the Bullsheet, but the title of this tread caught my eye. If you or any of the other candidates state they are in favor of regional BODs, you have my vote. Hope to read your statements in the Bullsheet.

Thanks for running, Benny

I have a different approach to regional representation. I don't think assigning Board seats to specific regions is necessarily the best way to achieve good representation for all of our members. I look at it like this, the Jack has the most diverse representation of bbq teams but doesn't actually have all the best teams in the country (that's not a knock on the Jack or the people that have been invited it's just a fact). I don't want to just diversify the BOD I want it to have the best people willing and able to serve.

My idea for regional representation is for KCBS to build better relationships with organizations like NEBS, CBBQA, MABBQA, IABBQ and the list goes on. All of these organizations help organize KCBS contests, host KCBS judging classes and teach bbq classes to competitors and the general public. Perhaps some type of committee with members from each of these organizations that has a chance to submit a report at every KCBS BOD meeting. The members of the committee could be voted in be each organization however they see fit. That committee would elect it's own chairmen who would be responsible for presenting the committees report and recommendations each month at the KCBS BOD meeting.

I'm in complete agreement with Steve on this issue and the analogy to the Jack is perfectly stated. I'm all for regional representation through KCBS affiliated committees within each regional association and having each regional association's chairperson be a part of each KCBS board meeting.

Good morning bbq people, it is time for the morning stir. I have been reading each of the replies here and one common thread keeps coming up. It all has to do with not liking something the board has done. Everyone has something that they don't like about what they have done including me. I have tried to acknowledge some of there accomplishments. I know it may be hard sometimes to see it but there has been some good things that have come from the board. Those positives need to be built on.

Of those of you running what are the positive things that you want to continue to expand on? :becky:

I like the expanded use of technology by KCBS. I think the website is a wealth of information now. I think they have a great backbone in place that we can use to improve communication between the BOD and the members. I heard that they are trying to make the website smartphone friendly which is great.

I like the expanded use of technology by KCBS. I think the website is a wealth of information now. I think they have a great backbone in place that we can use to improve communication between the BOD and the members. I heard that they are trying to make the website smartphone friendly which is great.

Well, as long as contest results go up at the right time :icon_blush:

I've been in favor of regional representation for a long time, but I'm not positive on how to do it. Possibly the local BBQ association idea is the best, I'll have to do a bit more thinking on this in the next couple of weeks.

One thing that I'd like to see is to have all rule changes / clarifications sent out as an e-mail blast to the total membership. That way everyone (cooks, judges, Reps, organizers, etc.) are on the same page at the same time. Publishing them in the Bullsheet is a great idea, but I feel that if KCBS can send an e-mail when a T-shirt is for sale then sending other notices can also be done at very little or no cost.

I've been in favor of regional representation for a long time, but I'm not positive on how to do it. Possibly the local BBQ association idea is the best, I'll have to do a bit more thinking on this in the next couple of weeks.

One thing that I'd like to see is to have all rule changes / clarifications sent out as an e-mail blast to the total membership. That way everyone (cooks, judges, Reps, organizers, etc.) are on the same page at the same time. Publishing them in the Bullsheet is a great idea, but I feel that if KCBS can send an e-mail when a T-shirt is for sale then sending other notices can also be done at very little or no cost.
The rules need an overhaul. Clarification would go a long way to resolving some of this and E-distribution would be a major plus.

The rules need an overhaul. Clarification would go a long way to resolving some of this and E-distribution would be a major plus.

Send me your thoughts, please. I started talking to several people about that in Lynchburg, after thinking about it myself for a while. I've tossed it out to Jeff, Steve, and Dave in private and got some VERY constructive criticism that I'm working on using. The idea is still too rough to present in public, but I could use some additional input to try and make it more workable and hopefully beneficial to membership.

I'd like to see the member lists of all KCBS committees made public knowledge. The only member publicly named is the BOD chair.

Any candidates support that?

I'm Starting a new thread because I don't particularly like the title of the most active thread on this subject.

Now what would you be refering too? I thought we were making progress and here you go changing it because you don't like it.:cry:

Some one has got to stir the pot once and a while or things will burn and get stinky.

:bow:

Now what would you be refering too? I thought we were making progress and here you go changing it because you don't like it.:cry:

Some one has got to stir the pot once and a while or things will burn and get stinky.

:bow:

I wasn't referring to your thread when I posted that but it is just as fitting. Stir away but if you want to be taken seriousl.......eh I'll just leave it at that I'm not looking to start a flame war. Carry on.

I'd like to see the member lists of all KCBS committees made public knowledge. The only member publicly named is the BOD chair.

I don't know of any other organization that doesn't openly publish committee members. I can't see any reason to hide anything.

Sorry to interrupt - but quick question. Which current members are up for re-election? And any word if any of them are not running again.

Gene is the only one who can run
He told me he would seek reelection

Absolutely! That's something that should have been cured long ago. That and the infamous "No Report" :mad2:.

Sorry to interrupt - but quick question. Which current members are up for re-election? And any word if any of them are not running again.

I believe Mike Budai is the only member who is up for re-election as he's finished out the partial term he had. The three leaving the board are Wayne Lohman, Merl Whitebook and Don Harwell.

Absolutely support it! I would also rather see the board member be a liason to the committee he serves rather than the chair. Let members head the committees and run with it but report to a specific board member. This makes it to where powers are more spread out and no one gets too much of it. :thumb: Maybe a long term goal because that's a big change but I think in the long run, more beneficial to KCBS and the members.

Back