• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Another question about KCBS judging?

S

Spanx

I see all of these rate my box threads and see the comments, parsley not uniform, not stacked nicely, wrong angle with the meat, ETC. I thought the judging was supposed to be on appearance of the meat only. How can it be judged on the other stuff, are KCBS turn ins supposed to be interior decorators too or what? I don't get it! In MBN we are judged on apearance of the meat only. I do plan on some other KCBS and IBCA contest but will I be judged by how the greens look or the MEAT? I did not go to decorating school, I want a santioning body that judges on appearance of COOKED MEAT!

You don't need garnish, you can turn in meat only at a KCBS contest...The garnish is like paint on a new wall. If you hang new dry wall and don't paint it, then it's just a plain wall, but paint adds color and viberance:becky: :brick:

Once the garnish is in the box, it becomes part of the overall presentation. Perfect parsley might not add points to or dry or otherwise ugly or poorly arranged meat, but sloppy garnish will definitely detract from the overall appearance and therefore lower the score.

> I did not go to decorating school, I want a santioning body that judges on appearance of COOKED MEAT!

Look to the others. FBA, GBA, MBN, IBCA, etc. no garnish.

If it isn't a kodak moment then it's not going to score as well. turn in something that would be a good magazine cover.

And turning meat 90 degrees so the bones face the judge makes the meat more appealing. Easier to see and no cut edges.

its pretty simple, setup a box with just meat and then set one up with a real nice garnish and your meat sitting on top of it. Which one says look at me, I look good. Thats why you have an apperance score, to see what looks best.
The garnish to me just makes the meat POP out at you.

Maybe it's just me but if something looks like it would be really delicious and I really want a bite of it, I would score it highly no matter what angle it was at, how uniform the slices were or how the garnish was.

I see all of these rate my box threads and see the comments, parsley not uniform, not stacked nicely, wrong angle with the meat, ETC. I thought the judging was supposed to be on appearance of the meat only. How can it be judged on the other stuff, are KCBS turn ins supposed to be interior decorators too or what? I don't get it! In MBN we are judged on apearance of the meat only. I do plan on some other KCBS and IBCA contest but will I be judged by how the greens look or the MEAT? I did not go to decorating school, I want a santioning body that judges on appearance of COOKED MEAT!

I have not judged MBN or MIM but are you referring only to the blind judged boxes? I have seen on TV that teams seem to put a lot of effort into decorating (garnish) the onsite presentations. That would seem to put some emphasis on scoring garnish to me. Again, I am only a KCBS judge so I don't know about any other sanctioning body rules, just wondering. I myself make every effort to disregard the garnish, and concentrate on the meat.

I have not judged MBN or MIM but are you referring only to the blind judged boxes? I have seen on TV that teams seem to put a lot of effort into decorating (garnish) the onsite presentations. That would seem to put some emphasis on scoring garnish to me. Again, I am only a KCBS judge so I don't know about any other sanctioning body rules, just wondering. I myself make every effort to disregard the garnish, and concentrate on the meat.

I was just referring to the blind box, and I guess I never thought about the onsite. We even decorate the grates on the pit for onsite and have to have every little piece of trash picked up too or the judges will deduct on score for area and personal appearance.

Garnish does present the meat better sitting in the box, but what a pain at times to frame it. But it's all part of the fun!

I wouldn't consider it decorating, I would consider it plating your entry. I don't think many - if any - KCBS cooks like making parsley beds, but it's part of the game. After a few comps, they aren't that bad to make - about 10 minutes each if I really detail them out.

Technically, you are supposed to judge just the appearance of the meat. Unfortunately, it doesn't really work that way. I'm probably one of the few judges that ignores what the garnish looks like and is only focused on what the meat looks like. But, I think most judges are looking at the meat and the garnish.

I wouldn't consider it decorating, I would consider it plating your entry. I don't think many - if any - KCBS cooks like making parsley beds, but it's part of the game. After a few comps, they aren't that bad to make - about 10 minutes each if I really detail them out.

WOW! 10 minutes each, really detailed out? I wish I had you on my team. With my big fat fingers, mine take at least 45 minutes each and then I cover 95% of it with meat! I'd love to see the rules changed to this:
"Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly parsley, flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro. OR ASTROTURF" :thumb:

I myself make every effort to disregard the garnish, and concentrate on the meat.

Most good judges will also try to do this, but if the garnish is there, then you're going to see (and remember) it. A box with no garnish doesn't have the contrast to set off the meat and that is hard to ignore. As for me ..... I'd love to see a comp with no garnish & no sauce - just judge the farkin' meat :clap2:.
At the GAB Oklahoma Joe's World Brisket Open this year I got to judge the final table. The boxes were passed around & we each took one piece and put it on our plate. After all of the boxes had been passed, we then judged each slice while it was on the judging plate --- no garnish, just the one lonely slice of brisket there all by itself --- left to stand or fall on its own merits.
I loved that contest :-D.

We used to use green leaf lettuce as a garnish, but switched to parsley beds this year and have noticed our appearance scores jump up. As a CBJ myself, I know we are supposed to judge the meat only, but based on the jump in our scores, I would have to think that a parsley bed blends into the background of the box and gives the meat more of a presence in the box. When we used green leaf lettuce, the meat sat down into the garnish and the box didn't look as neat and clean. Even thought the appearance score is the least weighted in KCBS, the difference between an 8 and a 9 can be huge. That fraction of a point made the difference as a tie breaker for us at a recent comp. Finished 4th in brisket instead of 5th, and a difference of $50 in prize money. So while the parsley garnish may be a pain in the arse to do, we will continue to do so....just in case.

I like the fact that the greens are part of the presentation in KCBS. It adds an extra element that is worth minimal points but can make or break a team and I think that is a good thing.

Back