MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default **Frame off NB Bandera Restoration**

I've been half-heartedly looking for a Bandera or BSKD but have been either too cheap or too lazy (mostly cheap!) and saw one the other day on CL, got a callback and it turned out to be seattlepitboss! Loaded it up and got it home and started tearing it down.

It is a New Braunfels Bandera, overall in decent condition, pretty tight with mostly surface rust, had been oversprayed with BBQ paint and it needs grates and a spring handle. What can't be sandblasted will get the wire brush and fresh paint. Kind of looking forward to doing the mods and playing around with this.

Already getting prettied up!

Thanks Grant!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

Very cool, keep us posted on the restore.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Time to update your signature !!!!

I'm sure it will come out great.. looking forward to seeing the pics on your progress
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

Can't wait to see pics. Hope to pic up some ideas for the restoration i need to do to one of mine.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Plowboy

This will be fun to watch.

Hey, thanks for the refill on the wine barrel staves. I owe you rub and a banner. I haven't forgotten. I'm out of bulk Yardbird right now. New batch comes in 5/13.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Hey Brian:

How did you dissamble the firebox?

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Hey Brian:

How did you dissamble the firebox?
Craftsman 9/16" Deep socket & wrench!!

Anything that wasn't bolted on slid off, like the f/box lid and door. The vent handle slides out and the vanes drop from the door. This thing dosen't appear to be used much-the cabinet isn't seasoned or gunky and all the bolts are rust free. I beadblasted some of the smaller parts and painted with 1200* black semi-gloss.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
JD McGee

Cool...has Caroline seen it yet...or is it hidden under a tarp on the side of the house?
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Cool...has Caroline seen it yet...or is it hidden under a tarp on the side of the house?
You just get to that point in a relationship when bringing home another cooker only causes them to roll their eyes! She is happy with her new Genesis C!!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

I meant the firebox itself. My firebox appears to be spot welded together. So did you drill out the spot welds to dissassemble the firebox?

swamprb stated: Craftsman 9/16" Deep socket & wrench!!

Anything that wasn't bolted on slid off, like the f/box lid and door. The vent handle slides out and the vanes drop from the door. This thing dosen't appear to be used much-the cabinet isn't seasoned or gunky and all the bolts are rust free. I beadblasted some of the smaller parts and painted with 1200* black semi-gloss.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
You just get to that point in a relationship when bringing home another cooker only causes them to roll their eyes! She is happy with her new Genesis C!!
I can relate...only I get the "You're getting as bad as Brian" comment at the end...

I'm looking forward to checking it out...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I meant the firebox itself. My firebox appears to be spot welded together. So did you drill out the spot welds to dissassemble the firebox?

swamprb stated: Craftsman 9/16" Deep socket & wrench!!

Looking at the pics, I think there has been a failure to communicate The firebox appears to be intact and sitting under the vert in the first two pics

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
iceman78
Full Fledged Farker

I am getting the "And where is that one going?" So I get to build a deck off of my patio this summer :) I will have to run some power out there too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
I can relate...only I get the "You're getting as bad as Brian" comment at the end...

I'm looking forward to checking it out...
[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black] 09 WSM, [/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]'10 BGE Small, 08 Brinkman[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]; 93 Performer, 02 Performer, 2000 Platinum;[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]79 Grey, 97 Black, 99 Black, Yellow, Simpsons, Lime Green, 94 Green;[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]04 Grillware, 05 Genesis sunk in 1940s Coke machine, 11 Weber Q 200;[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]Mountain Dew Can, 05 Baseball, Coleman Green, 11 Coleman Blue, 04 Coleman Roadtrip[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black], 01 Smokey Joe, 02 Smokey Joe[/COLOR][/FONT]
iceman78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
mbshop
Babbling Farker

sweet unit. what paint are you using? i bought some paint the other day 1200 deg but its a flat paint. i need high temp semi gloss for my weber frame. thanks,

Old 04-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
Brauma

Brian is a BBQ hero. There needs to be an award.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote