MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
buffalotom
Full Fledged Farker

Default Overnite Shoulder clod smoke

I am cooking a fourteen pound shoulder clod for pulled buffalo for our church. They want to eat at noon and I was trying to figure out when to put it on. My idea was to put on at 10 the night before on smoke, then check in the morning and raise the temp if needed. I am looking at around 200 IT before pulling. I was hoping to let it rest for an hour or two. Do you think that a twelve hour smoke would be enough? Buffalo shoulder clods are very similar to beef.
buffalotom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalotom View Post
I am cooking a fourteen pound shoulder clod for pulled buffalo for our church. They want to eat at noon and I was trying to figure out when to put it on. My idea was to put on at 10 the night before on smoke, then check in the morning and raise the temp if needed. I am looking at around 200 IT before pulling. I was hoping to let it rest for an hour or two. Do you think that a twelve hour smoke would be enough? Buffalo shoulder clods are very similar to beef.
Bison is leaner it will take longer to cook than beef. I would pan it up with a little liquid after 6 hrs and take it to 205-210 or it might not pull. Good luck!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Well, isn't the rule of thumb 1.5 hours per lbs? You'd be looking at 21 hours for 14lbs. I'd do it a day or two in advance

Old 01-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Did some 20# beef clods last summer along with some pork butts. I cut the clods in half so they would cook similar to the pork and get more bark too. They took about 12 hours. I try and cook about 275°. Have fun.

The time line went something like this: On at 10PM, into foil at 5:30 AM and into a cooler for transport at 10:30 AM. Lunch started at 1 in the afternoon. All the meat was in the 205° range internal and had a nice rest of 2.5 hours.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Can ya split it in half and do two 7's That would help with timing

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I did a clod that was around 22lbs and cuf it in half. Worked great and shortened the cooking time.