MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-04-2004, 09:29 AM   #46
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Jacksons DAD wrote:
Quote:
The crowd was pleased, and that is all that matters....Gotta work on the ribs, and need a 'dera as well...
AMEN!
Quote:
Final result, ribs were good tasting, but stuck to the bones
Nothin wrong with that. In competition, they are supposed to be that way. What was your temp? May have been a bit low. But, taste and results are the goal!
OK, two yards to mow? What did you do after that 30 minute chore
(His "yards" are tiny, tiny, tiny)
TIM (Jacksons Grand DAD)

HAPPY 4th Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2004, 10:25 AM   #47
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Ok,
So, it’s July 4th & I think I have fully recovered from Bash III, well almost. On the menu, several racks of Spares St. Louis style, a couple of dozen turds, chicken, baked beans, oh, and the ever present necessity, 2 fatties.
Not too much, enough for about 4 or 5 people. After all this is just a test.
A test??
Al your basket was waiting for me, at work, when I returned from the bash. A co-worker, who had put the box away for me, asked “what’s in that thing, solid steel?” I responded, “Uhhh yeah”.
This cook will be the maiden voyage. Not an extended cook, just kinda playing with it.
From the look of it, this basket will be here long after I have to find a replacement for my ‘Dera. Good investment. Now to see what happens when I use it.

Happy 4th.
N.B. 'Dera (modified), gone to another place (RIP), ECCG (el cheapo charcoal grill), an Alveron propane, and wood hog cooker, bullitt type smokers, a GM Jim Bowie, a turkey fryer, and a pretty well stocked kitchen.

Cabo

Old 07-04-2004, 11:55 AM   #48
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Orange sauce for smoked duck, HHmmmm!!!
Ummmmm.......maybe Sir ****salot????????????

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2004, 12:51 PM   #49
Bigmofo300lbs
Full Fledged Farker

Going to a bbq today but won't be cooking until tonight & tomorrow. Picked up a shoulder and some spares. Should be good eatin' 2morrow!

Kamado #7, WSM, 3 Weber Kettles, Smokey Joe, Gasser & Foreman
Bigmofo300lbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2004, 01:44 PM   #50
Solidkick

Going to a pig roast today (actually 1/2 a pig). Using a big hog type grill. i was supposed to be there at 6 am to help put in the cooker, woke up at 9:00, oh well. I'm taking the brisket I smoked on Friday, 3 hash brown cassaroles, crock pot full of green beens with onions, ham chunks and Tony C's, a blackberry cobbler (wife's recipe in the recipe section) and a peach cobbler. Cooler full of beer, soda, and water. Supposed to be 50- 60 people there today, everyone chips in for fireworks. Takes about 2 to shoot them off, I usually get bored with it and head for the house.

Hope everyone has a Safe 4th, see ya tomorrow, if not not later tonight.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2004, 05:56 PM   #51
Bigmista

My cook came out really good! My friends had never had pulled pork before so they were a little leery but one that had the "butta meat" it went fast. Ther ribs were overcooked but good. The bones kept falling out. I also cooked a 3 fatties and they are gone. Had to stash a butt and a rack of ribs so we would have some left for the rest of the week!

Now it's just the twilight zone with MrsMista and blessed rest.

Mista

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2004, 06:12 PM   #52
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Well, my experiment came out AWESOME

Rain threatened, but never came.

So it was Lazy Lazy on the WSM. Did I mention Lazy? That farking thing is awesome. (Thanks again Phil)

I cooked 1 turkey boob, and a 5# flat, marinades in Dales for 2 hours. I'll let you know how that came out in about an hour. Its in the cooler at 168 and dropping a degree or 2 every 10 minutes. 1" of juice in the cooler.

I only had about 1/4 to 1/3 a bag of charcoal. Since the WSM usaually runs hot, I thought, why not see if this is enough. Filled half chimney, rest in the cooker with 4 chunks apple, 4 chunks mesquite. 3 chunks apple in the chimney too.

Once the temps stabalized, I had 212* for about 8 hours. Never touched the farker other than to get the experiment after 4 hours.

Onto the experiment:

No fatties in the freezer, but there was a 1# log of ground beef and a pound of bacon. Threw 5 or six bacon strips on the flat, then rolled the beef log with bacon. 4 strips covered it nicely.

Sprinkled Southern Flavor on the whole thing.

I took it off and cut into 4 slices, reheated a little later in a tad of water, added cheeze, and had 4 of the best smoked 1/4 pound burgers I ever ate. Bacon Cheddar Fatty Burgers. Farking awesome.

And I used some of the Kansas City Hot BBQ sauce that a brother sent me. (It was E if I remember correctly)

I gotta get that sauce trade club going.

So if you got a log of ground beef in your freezer, don't think twice about smoking the farker. It was awesome

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2004, 11:04 PM   #53
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Days over.... menu changed this morning when the guests cahnged start times from 3pm to 5-6PM and only 8 out of 12 showed. Did up that big pork loin left from B3. Cut it in half and did one in Dales and the other in a mustard slosh with a rub of some brown sugar and BBQnfools rub. Both came out awesome.. just a couple slices left.. thats it.. Also racked up 4 sets of babybacks.. they disappeared as fast as I can slice them . Also set up a 5lb box of brats in some vidala onions beer and mannys pit bull. Put the pot right on the hot spot of the main chamber in the BYC and just left them cooking all day.. Damn I love them brats.. Took out 3 fattys and rolled them in mannys pitbull and did em up too.. they just vaporized as soon as i took em out.... didn't see them go, but they were gone when i turned around. all in all.. guess everything was good since theres none left.. good thing 4 people didnt show.... Would've had to throw in some wings to compensate.

One thing to add.. make up a quick salsa as an appetizer... Was excellent stuff! peoiple were eating it with just a spoon.

6 tomatoes diced, one small vidalia onion diced real fine. Fistful of celantro and some parsley choped fine, a whole mango chopped fine(turned into more like a pasted). Mix in a bowl, add about 1/4 cup lime juice, some salt & black pepper. That was some good stuff.. went of Atkins after the first taste. Ate more of that stuff than the meats i made.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2004, 12:22 PM   #54
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Had a great day with family yesterday, Burnt ends were really good, Dad had some chicken breast quarters he wanted to throw in too. Those came out great. Started the baby backs below the main grate in the cimarron, brought them up when I wrapped the points @ the 3 hr mark, could tell they'd not seen enough heat to be wrapped yet, in short even after three more hours at the main cooking level they weren't done yet. Not under done to the point of not being safe to eat, they just weren't Brethren quality. We ate them any way and had a great time. Nobody but the OL who knows better really cared. Happy hangover day good afternoon for a nice nap.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2004, 08:57 AM   #55
jt
Babbling Farker

Didn't Q until yesterday. Did my first batch of ribs and some turds. 2 racks of spares with the 3-2-1 method. Awesome. Returning them to the rack for that final 1 hour crisped them up nicely. Used Phil's Bourbon-AJ spray all the way through - nice.

Did 2 flavors of the turds. Used brisket in one and RB Rice Hot Sausage in the other. Mixed in cream cheese & Mex 3 blend. Stuffed them in some Japs and some Anaheim chiles. Actually preferred the Anaheims because they kept a little of their heat after being smoked.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2004, 02:13 PM   #56
Jorge

When Bill posted about his experiment last week I decided to give it a try on Saturday. Used 3 lbs of ground chuck and mixed in some salt, pepper, cayenne, dash of cumin, and paprika. placed a couple of uncooked turds in the center and rolled into a log and wrapped in plastic wrap before putting it in the freezer for about an hour. Not bad. I'll try it again sometime and make some adjustments. Maybe a little horseradish mixed in with the turd filling.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2004, 09:00 PM   #57
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Best eats from the weekends cook was today. Had leftover chopped point in marinara on spaghetti. Farking outrageous. Can't wait to make burnt end chili, football season is gonna bring some awsome eats.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2004, 09:52 PM   #58
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Well, test is done. Cooking is finished. Eating…still working on that,(leftovers).
Results:
St Louis style ribs, fall off the bone, sorry about the competition style. Better luck next time. Half a rack left, (only because I hid ‘em). Turds, gone. Fatties, gone. Beans, almost gone.
No, wait half rack gone too (just ate it).
Well Hell, why cook if you don’t have any leftovers.
Now, my take on Al’s basket. Shiiate, it’s da bomb. Fire went virtually unattended for 6 hours. Maintained a 230* fire two thirds thru the cook. Now this was using mainly Kingsford with wood for flavor, and the partitions about 1.5 inches apart (2 rebar’s).
I am looking forward to experimenting.
But, from the results of the first cook, why mess with it?? Well, Just because!!!
N.B. 'Dera (modified), gone to another place (RIP), ECCG (el cheapo charcoal grill), an Alveron propane, and wood hog cooker, bullitt type smokers, a GM Jim Bowie, a turkey fryer, and a pretty well stocked kitchen.

Cabo

Old 07-06-2004, 10:49 PM   #59
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Glad you liked the Basket......Guess that means I'm STILL welcome for next year's Pro Golf tourney?......erh was that something else were were discussing?

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote