MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Laiky
Found some matches.

Default New guy wants to build a smoker!

First off, i am new here. i have been obsessed with BBQ for about 15 years now. I have owned a brinkman side firebox drum style smoker and now use a weber kettle for my smoking adventures. I have always had trouble with moisture and uneven heat. the brinkman always had issues with radiant heat and uneven heat. the Weber works well but is too small and seems to dryout food more than i would like.

I registered here because i want to build a vertical smoker and i would like advice on how to design it. I believe what i'm after is a water smoker, as i understand that is what pros use, and they keep food very moist. I also want to be able to use it for Pizza and maybe baking bread. I'll describe what i want to do as best as i can.

I intend to make a rectangle 20" square and 48" tall, standing it upright on legs. My plan is to make the firebox or rack in the bottom foot or so. I will place a 1/2 steel plate above the fire box area leaving about a 1" gap on all 4 sides to allow heat and smoke to rise. I intend to put an alluminum tray here full of water to make steam, i figure i can vary the size of the tray to adjust the amount of steam, i have no idea what size to start with. Above the steel "diffuser" plate i intend to make racks to hold Pork butts, ribs, chicken, and brisket. I have a few rack designs in my head. I intend to make double doors for the smoker section and a single door for the fire box. i have no designs for size, type, and placement of vents. I want the steel plate to do double duty for pizza and bread making. I have not yet decided on steel or stainless although stainless is a lot nicer, it is waayyy more expensive and should be TIG welded. I also don't know what thickness is necessary. I was thinking 12 gauge for mild steel or 14 gauge for stainless.

Any suggestions? Links? Pics? I'm open

Thank you all in advance!
Laiky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Welcome and good luck, I also sent you a pm on some info.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
Yleekyoti
Full Fledged Farker

Here is a link to a ugly drum smoker that is very close to what you are doing.
http://www.grillsportverein.de/forum...en-111638.html

Old 03-13-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
hath
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yleekyoti View Post
Here is a link to a ugly drum smoker that is very close to what you are doing.
http://www.grillsportverein.de/forum...en-111638.html

not really what hes looking to do... It sounds to me like you are on the right track...Im sorry I couldnt tell you what thickness for the pizza piece

Old 03-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laiky View Post
First off, i am new here. i have been obsessed with BBQ for about 15 years now. I have owned a brinkman side firebox drum style smoker and now use a weber kettle for my smoking adventures. I have always had trouble with moisture and uneven heat. the brinkman always had issues with radiant heat and uneven heat. the Weber works well but is too small and seems to dryout food more than i would like.

I registered here because i want to build a vertical smoker and i would like advice on how to design it. I believe what i'm after is a water smoker, as i understand that is what pros use, and they keep food very moist. I also want to be able to use it for Pizza and maybe baking bread. I'll describe what i want to do as best as i can.

I intend to make a rectangle 20" square and 48" tall, standing it upright on legs. My plan is to make the firebox or rack in the bottom foot or so. I will place a 1/2 steel plate above the fire box area leaving about a 1" gap on all 4 sides to allow heat and smoke to rise. I intend to put an alluminum tray here full of water to make steam, i figure i can vary the size of the tray to adjust the amount of steam, i have no idea what size to start with. Above the steel "diffuser" plate i intend to make racks to hold Pork butts, ribs, chicken, and brisket. I have a few rack designs in my head. I intend to make double doors for the smoker section and a single door for the fire box. i have no designs for size, type, and placement of vents. I want the steel plate to do double duty for pizza and bread making. I have not yet decided on steel or stainless although stainless is a lot nicer, it is waayyy more expensive and should be TIG welded. I also don't know what thickness is necessary. I was thinking 12 gauge for mild steel or 14 gauge for stainless.

Any suggestions? Links? Pics? I'm open

Thank you all in advance!
Welcome to the Brotheren BBQ Forum, and good luck with your building adventures!

By the way here's a few links.

www.google.com
www.amazon.com
www.menards.com
www.lowes.com
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome Laiky, hope you post pictures of the build, good luck.
Paulmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Laiky
Found some matches.

That link to the German board is interesting, too bad i can't read german. I saved the Pics though. I like his exhaust vent adjuster. I have a ways to go before i get started. I need a design first. I'm hoping to build something that makes me a better BBQ cook. If anyone has links to companies that build components that would be helpful.

Another question? What is a good paint/coating to use if i go mild steel? I figure the firebox will get very hot when cooking Pizza. Do you think it's a good idea to insulate the firebox with firebrick?
Laiky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
Nykademus
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laiky View Post
What is a good paint/coating to use if i go mild steel? I figure the firebox will get very hot when cooking Pizza. Do you think it's a good idea to insulate the firebox with firebrick?
For paint, My personal choice is engine block paint.. you can usually get that in 500 degree or 2000 degree (I suggest the 2000 degree, because there is no way your smoker is going to get to 2k) and it comes in almost any color you would like do do, so you can create your own custom smoker!

Its available in almost every home improvement store going.

Also, I know that you had put up plans for a rectangular smoker, but you might want to look into a UDS. They are easy to build, CHEAP to build, and would offer as much as you are looking for. I do not run water at all.. or even sand, but have yet to run into issues with stuff being dry in any form. JMO (just my opinion)

If you do something cool, you KNOW you have to show pics

Old 03-14-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Laiky, for the German site you can go to google ( more options ) then to translate then select German to English,

This way you can read the site a paragraph at a time.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Nick@ParkAQ
Full Fledged Farker

Good luck and while you build that if you're kettle grill is lonely check this out http://ParkAQ.com

Park it! Grill it! Eat it!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
EatRBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Not to beat the issue with a stick...
But if you're serious about spending the sort of money you will to fabricate what you describe (which sounds solid) why don't you consider building a very basic Ugly Drum Smoker?
For around 100.00 you could make a basic UDS, use a waterpan/diverter (or give the system a chance and cook without one).

I'm not stating the UDS is the be all, end all... but for 100.00 it is worth giving a try. There is a reason many of us UDS converts praise them, IMHO it's best to learn why first hand!

Old 03-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
BamaRambler
On the road to being a farker

Before i built my UDS, i designed it with a lower rack to hold a water pan right above the fire basket. I have not used a waterpan yet. Everything i have cooked so far has been wonderfully moist. Good luck with your build and take/post pictures.