MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #1
JustDave
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default T&K Reverse Flow smoker

I saw an old thread on this, but can't reply to it, so I figured I'd start another one.

I just bought a Large Reverse Flow T&K Smoker from the St. Louis BBQ Store solely because of that thread and the fact that it was 10% off helped too.

So far, I've burned it in and done 1 cook on it. The burn in, I filled up the charcoal basket with 36 lbs of briquettes, fired her up with a BBQ Guru CyberQ, set her to 250 and let her run. This was at about 3:30 last Thursday. I went to bed that night and it was still going strong. Woke up the next morning and it was holding at ~180.

Curious at this, I went outside and obviously the fan was blowing like crazy trying to bring it to temp. Opened the burn pit and there was still a ton of unburnt charcoal, which was confusing. So I looked around a bit and my dumb ass didn't open the fan vent on the Guru.

I opened the vent and it shot back up in no time and ended up running until late in the afternoon, so over 24 hours, which is very impressive to me.

As for the cook, I threw in 4 shoulders, a trimmed and separated brisket, and 3 racks of ribs and still had a ton of room. Max capacity according to the manufacturer is 8 briskets, 24 butts, 20-24 racks of ribs (put in 3 more grates and you can do 38-42 is my guess), 16 chickens, or 4-6 large turkeys.

I had two problems with the smoker - the cook chamber door was squeaking very loudly and was difficult to open/close, defeating the purpose of a slam latch, and the latch for the burn chamber wasn't lining up quite right.

I messaged them on Facebook and they replied right away. They informed me that there are grease zerks on all the hinges and probably just need to get hit with a grease gun, and that I would need to adjust the nuts on the latch to get it working as it should. Both of those suggestions resolved my issues and it's now working perfectly.

I could not be happier with my purchase and the support provided to me by the pit maker. I would highly suggest these pits to anyone looking to buy one.

Dave
JustDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Congrats on the new T&K. Todd and St Louis Bbq Store are awesome. Todd was very responsive to any concern I had before and after the sale. 8 briskets seems low unless they're 20LBS. What are the rack dimensions and how many?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
JustDave
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
What are the rack dimensions and how many?
4 racks come with the smoker.

Cooking Racks: 29" w x 22.5" d
JustDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
4 racks come with the smoker.

Cooking Racks: 29" w x 22.5" d
I can fit 2 12-14 pound briskets on my 17x21 racks. You might squeeze 3 but they can't be 20 pounds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #6
ELC563
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Christopher

Hey Dave

Do you have any updates on your box? how has it been cooking for you? Any pictures that you might share? I have been looking at both the T&K as well as Humphrey, but leaning toward the T&K since it has bigger racks than the Qube'd series. Is it a drop in water pan and even though it only comes with four racks, could you fit a 5th or 6th and still maintain airflow? They really don't have good photos of their product so without going direct, its really hard to tell how well the set up is, when it vents, shelf spacing, etc. Any details are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
ELC563 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2021, 01:15 PM   #7
BBQ-Bug
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Josh

I just ordered a TK small reverse flow for delivery this summer. The water pan is removable and if you'd prefer you can have it welded in with a grease drain. I also got upgrades for an angle iron bottom firebox, t-plates, and an extra cook rack. As pictured there's about 6 inches of space between racks (3 racks for the small, 4 racks for the medium) but they have guides every 3 inches.

They were very easy to work with and can make many custom changes since everything is built to order.

Last edited by BBQ-Bug; 01-15-2021 at 02:00 PM..
BBQ-Bug is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
cabinet smoker, reverse flow, t&k