Brownie Pan for Chicken

I wonder how many judges share the dislike of overly-formed "frankenfood"? I know there are some areas where it doesn't play well at all. But from what I read here and elsewhere, there must be some areas where it's practically mandatory!

I wonder how many judges share the dislike of overly-formed "frankenfood"? I know there are some areas where it doesn't play well at all. But from what I read here and elsewhere, there must be some areas where it's practically mandatory!

I dont think it looks apealing at all, bbq isnt perfectly shaped..its bbq..

I wonder how many judges share the dislike of overly-formed "frankenfood"?

Personally, I don't spend a lot of time considering the shape of the pieces in the box. I do like for all of them to look uniform - whatever shape they might take. Beyond that, I look for color, if the pieces appear moist, application of the sauce, overall care taken to build the box. But giving a 6 because the pieces are formed seems a little harsh to me. jmo-ymmv. Julie

I dont think it looks apealing at all, bbq isnt perfectly shaped..its bbq..

I agree with you 100% unfortunately for whatever reason we've (I've) been told that the entries need to have some uniformity to them like ribs and brisket slices. Now pork, well there's nothing uniform about that, unless you're adding the money muscle. I believe you can have your presentation look uniform but when it starts to look like it's been 'molded' to look that way, well, I think that's a bit overboard and should be judged as such. IMO

not a competitor, but on a personal level, same/same looking chicken looks pretty gross to me. i want my chicken to look like chicken and not some sort of meat cake. if i wanted perfectly shaped chicken, i'd buy tyson nuggets.

While I agree with most; it looks fake, etc: Judging a box based on what you don't like is just not right. I don't care for mustard, but if I get pork with a mustard sauce I'm going to make sure I don't let that influence the score I give. I get into trouble alot talking about judging and this proves that some judges are biased. While I know it's true just don't tell me!!

As a judge, I find perfectly formed glossy, reddish lumps in a chicken box a bit disturbing. I realize that it's an attempt to make everything look perfect and appetizing, but I'd at least like to be able to recognize it as being some identifiable part of a chicken.

I find this box (from bbqcritic.com) uite dsturbing...
676378.jpg

It does need a little more color, but I am drawn to it simply because I know how much care and consideration goes in to making chicken relatively uniform, even though it pales in comparison to this. I know it takes a lot more than just throwing them in a cupcake/brownie pan. Even if I did know how to make them like that, I don't think I have the skill-set/finesse to execute it.

On the BBQ critic site that box along with another box similar to it all the responses were mostly 9's. On other boxes where the chicken looked like real chickens scores were all over the place. I'm horriblenat trimming chicken . I would say it's my biggest downfall.

Just out of curiosity, how the he'll do they get to look
Like that??

It's a sad commentary on what's happened to judging when visually "real" chicken gets worse scores than artificially primped, trimmed, glazed and polished unidentifiable objects. Whatever happened to the chicken?? I judge a few weeks ago and over 80% of the chicken turn-ins were so heavily sauced and glazed that it was hard to pick up, and once you picked it up, it stuck to your fingers like glue.

Just out of curiosity, how the he'll do they get to look
Like that??
Most likely they deskinned, deboned, carefully trimmed the meat and either scraped and reattached the skin, or used chicken breast skins which are leaner and are able to completely encompass the thigh meat. Probably used the muffin-tin technique to get them all the same size and shape.

I prefer the Wilton Mini Loaf pans.

FWIW, I've seen folks using metal rings to keep the skin from shrinking and for uniformity.

Back