MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

Default Meat Inspection

I have a local guy who is raising, slaughtering and packaging beef. Good stuff. Drug free beef. Well fed.

I don't know if his beef is USDA inspected or not, as I am having to get in line for packer briskets from this producer.

I am looking in the KCBS rules and can't find anything pertaining to grading.

Are there any specific rules ?

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Here is what they say about it...
Attached Files
File Type: doc KCBS-Meat-Inspections-Guide.doc (160.0 KB, 46 views)

Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

If I remember correctly from my days in the meat industry. If a guy is slaughtering/ processing himself for his own consumption, he does not need to be inspected. If he is selling the meat to customers, he needs to be inspected by State inspectors, but not the USDA. The meat sold does not need to be Graded by a USDA Grade inspector (quality grades as in CAB, Choice, Select...has nothing to do with the cleanliness aspect) UNLESS the person is labeling it as Prime, CAB, Choice or Select for sale. It's been over 10 years, so some things may have changed and state laws may apply...
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Pork Barrel Project
Got Wood.

I think you may be misinterpreting the meaning of inspection in regard to a KCBS contest. The meat inspection that occurs at a contest is centered on verifying you have the proper cuts for the various categories, the meat has not been pre-cooked or pre-seasoned, and the meat is on ice/refrigerated properly.

The inspection has nothing at all to do with the USDA or its grading standards.

There is also no minimum meat grade requirement in the KCBS. People have won before with Select grade briskets.
Pork Barrel Project is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks all.

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
TexEx
On the road to being a farker

I know the question was about KCBS procedure but here is the FBA procedure for those who are interested.

4. MEAT INSPECTION - All meats must be USDA or state DA inspected and passed. No pre-seasoning, injecting, marinating or cooking of any entry is permitted until after inspection by the Official Meat Inspector as appointed by the FBA Representative or the contest organizer. Meat inspection begins at noon on the day prior to the contest. All meat must be maintained at a maximum temperature of 40 degrees F prior to inspection. Prior to cooking, all meat that is resting in preparation for cooking must be covered at all times. All meats must be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees F. After cooking all meat must be maintained at a minimum temperature of 140 degrees F in a covered container until turned in for judging. All contest meat, once inspected, may not leave the cook team's site until turn in.

TexEx Hook'em Horns!
FBA Member. FBA MCBJ.
KCBS 62294
Char-Griller Super Pro. Char-Broil Gasser.
[LEFT][FONT=Arial][I]Orange[/I][/FONT] Thermapen.[/LEFT]
TexEx is offline   Reply With Quote