MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

Default gas grill help

I have a friend that wants to buy her husband a gas grill for Fathers Day. I suggested a Weber but apparently they are mire expensive than she wants to spend. Any ideas for a well built gas grill on the budget end of things? I don't have a clue, I don't use them.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Try to convince her that a Weber is worth it and will damn near last a lifetime and is more than worth the price? That's the best recommendation I've got.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

sorry weber. they are made just better and last
grantw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Bartkowiakj
Knows what a fatty is.

I have never owned a Weber before but plan on buying a Weber Genesis as a replacement this year. This comes at your advice and recommendations. Prior to this, I have had good luck with the Sears models---those especially using a Cast iron burner. My problem has always been in replacing the flavorizer? drip bars. I did notice recently that some of the burners and unts are guaranteed for 7-10 years. The pricing was similar to that of a Char Broil, Grill Master, Sams Club etc. If she is looking for between 300-500 I would try Sears model. The Weber Sprit though is about the same price and easier to find parts if needed.
Bartkowiakj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

You didn't way what her budget is or how big of girller he is. From the sounds of things, they definitely want to spend well less than $500 and it doesn't sound like they intend to to much more than burgers, hot dogs, chicken and some steaks. If that is the case, the Weber Q 300 series grills might be worth looking into.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Tell her to leave it in the box so its easer to gift wrap and to save the receipt if he dose not like it.
Then tell your friend to return it and buy a weber.
Problem solved!

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

if they cant get a weber they should at least look for a stainless steel gasser. i'd suggest they look for a weber on craigslist, they pop up all the time. most other gas grills will rust out in no time. there are lots of ways to get automatically notified when something you want pops up on craigslist, btw. i use ifttt.com

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Charbroils are decent grills for the price, and though they won't last as long as a Weber, I've heard plenty of good things from reliable sources.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

I'd say the budget is $350 or so. Mostly cooking burgers and dogs for kids and sometimes steaks. Nothing serious but I don't want to steer her wrong. Heck I use a Weber Kettle and don't understand wanting gas. But she did ask...

Old 06-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

How about a Weber Q? the Weber Q320 is in that price range. It's not as big, so it depends on how many people they want to feed.

http://amzn.com/B000WOVZ26

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Weber! anything else is a waste of money.
I just looked and it seems they changed there line up $$$. I see nice older ones on CL
for cheap. Or just get a Weber Kettle that's what I'm buying for a friends daughter for her wedding gift

Old 06-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

If she needs to get a cheaper gasser, she will need a cover for it. It will last twice as long that way.

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #13
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Charmglow is a decent cheap gasser. I have had one for about 10 years and it is still going.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #14
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Charbroils are decent grills for the price, and though they won't last as long as a Weber, I've heard plenty of good things from reliable sources.
I got three years out of my stainless Charbroil "Commercial" gasser. After three years, it still looked good on the outside, but rusted to the point of no repair on the inside. What a waste of money that was.

For another hundred bucks, I could have bought a Weber Genesis, and I'd be enjoying my tenth year of its use. My dad's Genesis is 12 years old, and lives on the back porch in Houston. My grill cost me over a hundred bucks a year. My dad's grill has cost him $42 bucks a year -- so far. It is still chugging along, so the cost per year is going down every day it lasts. So, what is the cheaper grill? Clearly, it is the Weber Genesis.

If I ever buy another gasser, it WILL be a Webber Genesis. Period.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

If she's set on going cheaper then I STRONGLY suggest she get it at a place that has a very good replacement warranty. HHGregg Lowes or home depot have good ones. I like HHGreggs warranties over others if she has one close.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote