MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
bmoorhouse
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Quick cook ideas?

My wife invited 8 of our friends and their 4 young children over for BBQ on Saturday. Unfortunately, with another commitment I have, I can't start cooking until 11:00. As we would like to serve dinner at 6:30, that does not leave much time, probably 6 hours to cook and an hour to rest.

I have had great success with a couple of pork butts and a brisket, but those took quite a bit more time than I have. Can anyone suggest any good ideas that I can smoke in the time I have? My fall back is burgers and hot dogs. Not terribly exciting, but easy to cook up quickly.
bmoorhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ribs
Chicken
Fatties
MOINK balls
ABTs/SBTs

You could also go the hot and fast route.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

I bet you could make some ribs work in that time frame.
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

Pork loin or tenderloin and you will be done in two hours or less. If you are not just set on pork a whole roasted beef tenderloin is always very nice.
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Hot and fast butt and ribs.

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

Ribs, ribs, ribs. Definitely a crowd pleaser. You have more than enough time for them. Also, like others said, throw in some moinks or pig shots.

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Prep the night before just don't season anything. Chicken and ribs are very doable with time to spare, if pre prepped. You could even set the fire up the night before, so all you have to do is light it, and let it come up to speed while putting on the seasonings. Also pork steak, country style ribs, double smoked ham, italian sausage or any combination of these, would be good for a quick cook.
Dave

Old 04-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
Bludawg

Chicken & Ribs, Meatloaf,Pork loin, Sausage, Fajitas, Steaks, Chops, Mac & Cheese,Roasted Sweet tatoes, ABT's, Peach cobbler Grilled Vegies.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Not sure what your budget is.....A nice prime rib would work, a pork crown roast, rack of lamb..........hmmmmm, chicken thighs and wings, whole roasted or spatchcocked chickens..............smoked turkey breast doesn't take to long............grilled salmon, shrimp or shrimp and scallop k-bobs............a combination for surf and turf.

KC

Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #10
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

If your grilling and want to serve something a little more expensive seafood skewers are always nice, maybe scallops and shrimp, or even a firm firm fish like swordfish on there too in chunks. You can make the skewers the night before and have them marinating and easy to handle and eat and really fast cooking. Throw some veggies on them too that cook in the same timeframe. You could even do some chicken ones for people who don't do seafood. I love skewers, been a long time since I did them and I have no idea why.

Good luck no matter what ya do though! I'd definitely stick with grilling over smoking though, I wouldn't want to have to worry about something getting done at exactly the right time. Every cut of meat acts so differently no doubt, some have wanted to fight me pretty good in the little bit of smoking I've got in to.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

What are you cooking on? I can do ribs in about 3 hours on the Akorn. Simple rub and lots of wood in with the charcoal. Pull when they pass the bend test and keep in the oven until it is time to eat.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #12
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Ribs and chicken and fatties work. Or how bout a quick taco bar. Grill up some carne asada and maybe marinate some chicken. Put out all the fixins at let em at it.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #13
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Steak sandwiches,titch style

Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

All the above. With six hours, I would probably go with a couple racks of baby backs and a couple beer can chickens, maybe a fattie, some appetizer things like ABTs or pig shots to munch on while the big stuff is cooking, and some hot dogs for the kids in case they're picky and won't eat real food.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Tri-tip, eye of round, sirloin tip roast, chicken legs turned into lollipops for the kids.
Dave