MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
hath
On the road to being a farker

Default Im in the market for a BBQ thermometer...

I know the maverick 3-7 / 73 are popular around here. But I found THIS and it has a lot better reviews than the other one and was wondering if any of you have had experience with it.
hath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
CaptainJimmy
Full Fledged Farker

i can attest that the et-73 is a great thermo... I had some problems with a probe malfunction and they sent me a new set of probes, no questions asked. I love the et-73 and would buy another.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

that is the ET-73. Scroll down the toward the bottom of the page...

• Product Dimensions: 3.5 x 1.1 x 2.5 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
  • Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.
  • ASIN: B0000DIU49
  • Item model number: ET-73
Good buy with free shipping.....
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

That redi check is the E73. I have the same one.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
hath

yeah thanks guys... I realized that after the first post. Thanks for the help I think ill pull the trigger on one or two of those.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
hath

As far as the reviews go it does better than the e-7 anyone have real life experience with the e-7 vs the e73?

Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
BadHorsieBBQ

Et-73
BadHorsieBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

I like the et-7, but have never used the et-73. I think the biggest difference is going to be that the 73 has a pit probe and a food probe. the 7 has 2 food probes. I just ignore the food settings when I use it for pit temps.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Not trying to hijack the thread. But can someone explain how that Maverick therm works?

Their are two monitors, one is in the house or where ever and the other is in the smoker? Or only the probe in the smoker and not the whole monitor?
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #10
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBully View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread. But can someone explain how that Maverick therm works?

Their are two monitors, one is in the house or where ever and the other is in the smoker? Or only the probe in the smoker and not the whole monitor?
The probes go in the pit. I stick them in a chunk of potatoe to hold them off of the grates. The transmitter sits on a shelf outside the pit(close the lid on the cables or run them through a seperate hole). The reciever is in the house (sorry,no pic) and you can check temps on it, or the transmitter toggles between the 2 temps on its display. This is an et-7.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

with the et-7 both probes are supposed tobe food probes, but can easily be used to measure pit temps (one for pit, one for food; or both for food; or both for pit... you et the idea). The difference with the et-73 is that one probe is designed to be clipped to the grate and the receiver has an alarm for minimum temp ie the unit alarms if the pit temp falls below a custom set temp. I think the possibilities are nearly endless. The probes go in the pit, run the wires out to the transmitter. Then pick up the receiver unit, crack open a brew and go wherever (as long as its within 100ft.)

Poor man's Stoker/BBQ guru... if you don't have the few hundred clams needed to buy those devices.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
with the et-7 both probes are supposed tobe food probes, but can easily be used to measure pit temps (one for pit, one for food; or both for food; or both for pit... you et the idea). The difference with the et-73 is that one probe is designed to be clipped to the grate and the receiver has an alarm for minimum temp ie the unit alarms if the pit temp falls below a custom set temp. I think the possibilities are nearly endless. The probes go in the pit, run the wires out to the transmitter. Then pick up the receiver unit, crack open a brew and go wherever (as long as its within 100ft.)

Poor man's Stoker/BBQ guru... if you don't have the few hundred clams needed to buy those devices.
That is a great feature. My et-7 dosen't have that, only high temp alarms because both probes are for "food".